Run a bike without battery?

nzanthony, Apr 19, 8:52am
Hey are you are to start a scooter on its kick start if there is NO battery installed. Do you have to modify anything or connect the terminals! With doing so cause any damage!

roddie1971, Apr 19, 8:58am
you sure can,but cleary nothing will charge or run.

richardmayes, Apr 19, 9:23am
You sure can!

Start that bad boy up, jump in the saddle and hold on.

thewomble1, Apr 19, 11:46am
I would say no as a battery would be needed to provide power for the spark.

pollymay, Apr 19, 11:49am
Not if it runs a little magneto or whatever. We have a bike that hasn't had a battery for 30 years, that's a hell of a run on lol

intrade, Apr 19, 8:21pm
it maybe operating with a flat battery started via kikstart , You do need a battery on the therminals or you could damage the charge circuit some bikes like old 250cc honda from 1960 will not run without battery and the battery will need to be fully charged. same as my dads 1989 600cc cbr wont run right without a good battery , most scooters howeverdo run with a flat battery as they also make them with no batterys on same models

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 19, 9:50pm
Depends. Generally no on anything vaguely modern because the regulator will have to shunt all generated electrical power to earth, which will cook it.

sifty, Apr 19, 9:52pm
Modern Life is Rubbish.

nzfatie, Apr 19, 10:13pm
Only old motors with points/magneto ignition will run without a battery and the battery wires must not be connected as Tony said. Anything modern with electronic CDI ignition needs a good battery to run.

zx2r, Apr 19, 10:22pm
i have a bike with electronic ignition, have removed the battery and starter motor. kicks and runs absolutely fine.

ola.thorsen, Apr 19, 10:58pm
CDI ignition doesn't necessarily need a battery. See old Honda dirtbikes XR etc.

n1smo_gtir, Apr 19, 11:09pm
same way a petrol lawn mower start, give the start cord a good hard wank, i meant yank, my bad.

motorboy2011, Apr 19, 11:29pm
ditto that, mine with CDI igntion runs fine with no battery, indicators dont at idle though

motorboy2011, Apr 19, 11:29pm
ditto that, mine with CDI igntion runs fine with no battery, indicators dont at idle though. Some wont run, depends on the bike.

stephenb1, Apr 25, 3:29am
triumphs dont need one the older ones not those [2000 part jappers things],unless youer useing ligths,/ you can uses ligths but must keep the revs up,if it stops trun the ligths off and youer away.dont know about jappers

bigfatmat1, Apr 25, 4:03am
Are you drunk or on drugs!

ralphdog1, Apr 25, 4:24am
With the info you have given ("A Scooter") the definite answer is yes and no

flybye_in_a_rx7, Apr 25, 4:36am
worked for me on a fxr150. lights were just dim when idling was the only difference. i cant remember if i ran it with a dead battery or no battery though.

mantagsi, Apr 25, 7:39am
As other posters have said, it can be done, but IMHO it is very unkind on the electrical system to do so.