Hourly labour charge when car at mechanics?

Page 1 / 3
poppypea, Apr 22, 8:53am
Just wondering what the average mechanical hourly labour charge is. How much is yours and where are you from!

Hubby's work is $105/hr and while we get a discount I'm wondering if we would be better to pay full price elsewhere if it's cheaper.

(Have also asked in parenting and general so I can get as many answers as possible). Thanks

outbidyou2, Apr 22, 8:55am
$70+GST Auckland for ours, main road frontage

gadgit3, Apr 22, 8:55am
Small town and we charge the most in town at $75+gst/h

jmma, Apr 22, 8:58am
Depends what car you are talking about, blue ones are always charged out dearer (o;

poppypea, Apr 22, 9:02am
His work deals with Euro cars but ours is just a basic primera.

dent, Apr 22, 9:19am
We charge $60 + GST Per Hour.

mugenb20b, Apr 22, 9:25am
$71/h inc. GST, Hunterville.

alan1111, Apr 22, 9:28am
$68 + GST Whakamaru

sgrants, Apr 22, 9:34am
I charge out $72 per hour broken down to $1.20 per minute, Auto Electrician. Rodney district.

mm12345, Apr 22, 9:37am
I love the concept that working on Euro cars commands about a 30% premium over the cost to work on "other" cars - based on what people are saying above.
What gives!I presume by "Euro Cars" this means run of the mill BMW/Audi/VW etc, where it's all diagnostics and part replacement just the same as anything else - not like casting and machining new pistons for a Ferrari

leesil, Apr 22, 9:37am
I'm sure mine's only $65 + gst.chch

magicmat, Apr 22, 10:02am
Crikey, I know a diesel mechanic (old school guy with lots of experience) who charges $30 per hour to do home jobs. Man looking at some of the prices here I am feeling very grateful!

a.woodrow, Apr 22, 10:05am
We were charging out our BMW techs at a higher rate to reflect the higher cost of purchasing BMW diagnostic equipment.

jasongroves, Apr 22, 10:12am
So the average as of post #13 and not including home/perk rates is $73.25 + GST or $84.25 inc. GST.

johnf_456, Apr 22, 10:16am
Varys depending on the sort job

quater, Apr 22, 10:18am
still too much, should be $15 + gst

jmma, Apr 22, 10:20am
How does your hourly rate vary!

thunderbolt, Apr 22, 12:32pm
That might be what you are worth, but most workshops have significant overheads to cover to keep the doors open.

r15, Apr 22, 8:37pm
But jazz said euro cars cost the same or cheaper to maintain.Has he misled all of us!

r15, Apr 22, 8:42pm
Oh and hourly rates don't mean that much when hours are measured by 'nah they'll be happy to pay that' rather than a clock. Or services come with 2 hours when it took 1 or 1 and bit.

Then watch out for the $10 worth of misc some places charge,on top of the $5 worth of rags that shouldn't be needed.

What I'm saying is hourly rate doesn't always make much difference

mm12345, Apr 22, 8:46pm
Lets say the workshop has three mechanics, and the "premium" to cover the "high cost of diagnostic equipment" is $30/hour, as indicated in the responses in this thread.Based on 120 hours chargeable per week, and allowing for holidays etc, then that's over $150,000 per year "extra" (over and above what a humble toyota or holden workshop might need to pay)that's been charged/allocated to buy special "BMW diagnostic equipment".
I think that is tit-pulling.
But so long as the victims can be convinced that they're actually customers, and everyone is happy, there's no problem.

shuddupowh, Apr 22, 11:14pm
#20, yep all places charge the "misc" shit, even on a quote to repaint our rear bumper had $30 MISC added to it.wtf is that for! That shit should be included in the cost of repairing/painting it. No way a rag or 2 cost $30. Just the companys way of making that extra bit of beer $ for the week.

intrade, Apr 23, 12:04am
they do make some money its not just the cost of the rag its the charge for the storage of the rag and disposal of the rag and old stuff like your old paint or dirt that would be included in this. Its a gray zone as to what they charge for it as standard fee.

helsbels2, Apr 23, 12:15am
I just purchased a bale of rags for work for over $200 so yes that charge should be passed on. That rag will also then go in our skip which we have to pay to dump.That misc or consumables charge also covers likes of cables ties, a seat cover to protect your car from a dirty mechanic, etc

steve98h, Apr 23, 12:27am
we are $69 inc in te aroha