Toyota Granvia queries

diddi1, Apr 24, 4:08am
Are these front or rear wheel drive and are they cambelt or chain! What is the general overall opinion and is petrol or diesel better! Cheers

jason18, Apr 24, 4:40am
RWD. We had a work one. Diesel turbo. Thrashed the crap out of. Even the bosses drove em hard. Still going strong that van!

gmphil, Apr 24, 4:51am
Owned one for a year great van they come in 4wd too 3.0l deisel turbo went hard good towing only sold re rego cost in ruc in they have belt

gizmsme, Apr 24, 5:19am
Mines a 2.7 (3rz-fe) chain driven petrol engine.It goes well but can be thirsty around town.I have seen forums where they do all sorts of mods to these engines in hilux's and pull great power while still having a good reliable vehicle. I think with the way things are i would still but a petrol version over the diesel unless you can find a good well serviced diesel with low k's. Great vans, plenty of room and ride well for their size. Shame your so far away i could have sold you mine.lol.

mugenb20b, Apr 24, 7:11am
RWD or 4WD.

mugenb20b, Apr 24, 7:13am
x1
Diesel has a cambelt but is very easy and cheap to replace, good for 150 000kms.
3.4 litre V6 petrol has a cambelt.
2.7 litre 4 banger has a chain.

mugenb20b, Apr 24, 7:14am
Awesome vans, heaps of space, reliable, but hugely overpriced and over rated.

mugenb20b, Apr 24, 7:20am
It depends on many things, like how many k's you do a year, who does the servicing, are you self employed, etc.

Both petrol versions are thirsty, but the 2.7 is the most reliable.

Personally, I'd have the diesel, even though it would work out more expensive in the long run, only because I like high torque engines.

diddi1, Apr 24, 7:37am
12,000 to 15,000 k per year. Self employed floor layer. Currently have Mazda Bongo but want something a bit nicer to drive and something that doesent get stuck on wet drivewaysif parked on the slightest angle. It's incredibly inefficient without a LSD. Grandis is the only thing apart from long wheelbase vans that has the length I need in the back.

mugenb20b, Apr 24, 7:49am
If you are self employed then that's a bonus as you can claim GST on just about anything. Again, I'd get a diesel (same engine as the Surf and Prado), but be careful not to cook them if you end up buying one, and make sure it comes with a service history. 2.7 litre chain driven petrol is probably the easiest to live with, long term.

When I was self employed, I had both, petrol and diesel vans, and I did all my own servicing and repairs. I also did around 15 000kms per year, and even though the petrol van used heaps more fuel, they both ended up costing me the same to run / own (at the end of each financial year). That was between 2004 and 2009.

mugenb20b, Apr 24, 7:54am
Oh, I had the same problem with my Toyota Townace and Nissan Vanette. I fitted larger profile tyres once, seemed to make some difference.you can also do some alterations to the leaf springs and shackles.

diddi1, Apr 24, 7:56am
Might still be interested. Can you give me some info on it. Cheers, Dave

gizmsme, Apr 24, 8:15pm
Dave, i have it listed on another site where you can sella stuff.Can't swap info on here , sorry.

gary_tudor, Jun 6, 7:45pm
Hi I have owned a Toyota granvia 3 ltr 4 wheel drive automatic for 7 years ,it is with out doubt the best car I have ever owned in 31 yeaer of driving ,while the kids where young camping ,towing a boat ,caravan,trailer and now they are all grown up I have taken out the seats and converted it in to a brilliant campervan,quite heavy on the fuel but there are now hills any where she won't get you up . Kind regards Gary