Cost of alternator in Isuzu Bighorn 1996

lj98, Apr 29, 1:38am
Can anyone tell me what i'm looking at price wise for the alternator to be done in my 4wd in Christchurch, and which is the best place to take it to.thanks

mugenb20b, Apr 29, 1:51am
Best place to take it to.no idea. The prices can vary a lot on alternators, but it will cost around $300 to $500 for a new one.

intrade, Apr 29, 1:54am
Diesel or petrol! big difference in price diesel have a vacume pump as part of the alternator for the brake

lj98, Apr 29, 2:14am
It's diesel.

outbidyou2, Apr 29, 2:16am
did ours upwards of $850, sorry, mate did his on a challenger, same price

intrade, Apr 29, 2:31am
na there is some new rebuilt ones for 350$ on trademe.
auto electrition if you sure its the alternator they probably can fix yours for for like 400$ otherwise get a rebuilt unit like thes sell on here,

lj98, Apr 29, 2:56am
I started having problems with my battery going dead, replaced the battery with a second hand one yesterday, the 'new' one started up fine last night and again this morning, but only going to about 13 on the dashboard, then when i was driving to work this morning i had the heater and radio going and it went down to 8, quickly turned everything off and it went to 12, got to work a couple of mins later, was still on 12, an hour and a half ish later the car wouldn't start, battery guy came out and put another one in it, a small one, and it started fine, he then revved it and battery reader thing on dash went to just past 12, he then said it is probably alternator.drove home and everything ok, but noticed when i stopped at lights etc the needle on the dash meter kept flickering back and forth, it won't go much past about 12.5 to 13.it started up an hour ago fine.,.

lj98, Apr 29, 2:56am
Sorry i'm a horsey girl with next to no car knowledge.

intrade, Apr 29, 3:06am
diesel dont use power for engine well older diesel dont . You probably just need new brushkit on your alternator, Go to auto-electrical place to get it fixed. somone will recommend a place in Christchurchfor you

lj98, Apr 29, 3:10am
Thank you intrade! Will take it to the nearest auto-electrician tomorrow

shane191, Apr 29, 9:43am
Most of the time they tell you that they are not fixable and sell you a new one. thats what they told me anyway. it was about 5 years ago, think it was about $700 and i fitted it myself. Allow a bit for labour, they arn't quick and easy to remove and install.

chip8, Apr 29, 10:41am
I had probs with mine for years until I put a bigger battery in it, No probs since then.

geminidragon, Apr 29, 8:22pm
when i turn on the indicator the amp needle gauge flicks a little backwards and forwards is that normal

geminidragon, Apr 29, 8:23pm
thats on my 97 bighorn deisel

backing_black, Apr 29, 8:32pm
I found Warren's Auto on Ferry Road fantastic for my nissan mistral when we had wiring problems int he dash. That was after wasting hundreds $ at sinclairs not getting the problem fixed. It was electrical and as a women I think they were taking the mick personally (esp after they fixed it, I drove round the cnr, couldn't turn the engine off and they charged me some more - grrr). But Warrens does the AA (big yellow place by Hells) and they sorted it no worries !

Also had my alt done at pitstop on Fitzgerald. By memory it was $600 but included some other stuff.They take farmers card which is handy if you're shit stuck. They've always been really good (and I've double checked prices round the place and they seem fair too).

lj98, Apr 30, 2:33am
Turns out alternator is absolutely fine, as is the battery that is currently in it, the fan belt was loose which can affect the alternator apparently (!!) also i had the pre heat glow plug switch on too which drain everything too.so all up car is fine thank christ, all it cost me was 20 bucks for the tightening of the fan belt and the time spent testing everything.i fully reccomment Wayne Wilson automotive on mcfaddens rd, off cranford st!

geminidragon, Apr 30, 10:04am
were is this pre heat glow plug switch on the bighorn please

lj98, May 1, 9:45am
uhhhh.on the left hand side of the heater console thingy.(again, i'm just a horsey girl.lol) the far left button, it has a wee symbol on it that has a spiral in the middle of the symbol.

geminidragon, May 1, 11:27pm
hi lj98 when i push that button no light comes on mine does your one have a light come on thanks

lj98, May 2, 7:34am
Hey, sorry only just seen your message, i don't come on here often lol.nope no light comes on on mine when it's pushed on

shane191, May 2, 9:17am
I read somewhere its a ceramic heater, not sure what it heats and only comes on when its cold.

geminidragon, May 2, 8:35pm
i have trouble starting my truck its like the batterys flat ,just curious about this switch ,im guessing pushed in it works some sort of pre heat switch ,no light comes on mine ,themechanic at work said it might be for countries that havea lot of cold

intrade, May 2, 8:44pm
ceck your battery then check your starter. my renault van would do this till i found a bearing had worn out on the starter made up a new bush and now the starter cranks like new. 3 times faster.these are the 2 things to check when it wont crank fast enough.