97 Hiace Van Diesel heater not working?

chrissysmith, Apr 30, 9:28pm
Hi just wondering would any one know why my heater isn't working,I think it might be the relay but not sure. Cheers.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 30, 9:31pm
Yes, someone would know after checking some things.

planespotterhvn, Apr 30, 9:34pm
x1
Relay! Are you talking about the hot water heater for the interior of your van or the glow-plugs for the engine!

chrissysmith, Apr 30, 9:37pm
The interior heater is not working, someone did mention it could be the relay.
Cheers.

andy61, Apr 30, 11:41pm
The fan or heater! if heater ,what temperture does the engine run at! may need a new thermostat to get engine temp up to normal.

kazbanz, May 1, 12:45am
OP-- The very FIRSTthing I'd be checking is that there is water in the cooling system at all.With the hiace I've owned the heater not working was the first sighn of low water level.
Um --has the heater ever worked.! Another thought is that the heater plumbing has just been cut off and a loop of hose fitted in the "engine bay"

chrissysmith, May 1, 4:15am
Thanks I think it might be the fan maybe. Wasn't the relay got one from pick a part still not working.Yes the heater has worked just stopped recently.When you turn the heater on no breeze hot or cold comes out but if you put your hand over the vents you canfeel warm heat but not blowing out. I will check water level. Cheers.

gadgit3, May 1, 4:35am
Fan resistor block blowen or fan motor

chrissysmith, May 1, 4:44am
Gadgit3 Thanks for your advice and everyone else too.Hopefully not going to be a major will contact our mechanic. Cheers.

chrissysmith, May 1, 5:34am
Now just wondering if it is a major in costs any estimated idea! cheers.

kazbanz, May 1, 5:41am
if it WAS working and theres heat Id be looking for the fuse first.

andrewph, May 1, 5:54am
Heater resistor or fan motor most likely. the fuses are under the dash to the left of the steering cloumn.Try there first. Then the heater resistor on the bottom or top of the fan housing depending on the model. it has a rectangular shape with a 4 wire plug and 1 screw holding it in. It has 3 or 4 pieces of spiral wire on the back of it. these conrol the speed of the fan from the switch on the dash. its common for these to break as they are fragile. Then check for power at the fan when its turned on if thats ok. The fan motor is the round thing to the left. It has a 2 wire plug. Have fun

skin1235, May 1, 6:33am
97 hiace, 15 yrs old, very likely the brushes in the fan motor are worn out

check for power at the fan connector, if there but fan not working then there is the problem
if no power there check fuses, if blown check the fan can turn, if not blown check the reostat, if that is blown you can bridge the pins out - your fan will run at full speed only - you can rebuild the reostat coils with resister wire from the likes of a heater element or toaster element,- they either break due to restricted air flow or vibration
the bushes get dry too as can seize the fan causing the fuses to blow
neither problem is very difficult ot fix - fit new brushes or dismantle and lube the bushes

reostat is that plate with 3 or 4 connectors on it on the side of the air ducting behind the glovebox, unscrew the screw and look at the inner side

chrissysmith, May 1, 7:20am
Thanks for your advice skin1235,andrewph and kazbanz.

bigfatmat1, May 1, 9:14am
I would check positive and negative at the fan. as the resistor is on the negative side so if this fails there is still power at the fan but no negative so fan will not operate.

bigfatmat1, May 1, 9:15am
hiace does not use old type resistor eitherwith coils of wire as described!

skin1235, May 1, 9:19am
I know you know your stuff bfm1 but do question that - that would indicate that the switch is merely an earth for the various reostat coils
I think the switch supplies live to the reostatand the fan drives from there

but if you are correct ( and quite likely you are) then bridging the black wire from the fan motor to earth should then get full fan

skin1235, May 1, 9:23am
hmm, the reostat I pulled from the hiace to fit to the hilux certainly did

edit, but I cannot say it was actually an original, it may have been shunted inthere by a bushy like me before I got to it

bigfatmat1, May 1, 7:14pm
yes this is correct but the wire is more than likely blue!

bigfatmat1, May 3, 3:08am
sorry slight mistake nearly all heaters control the fan speed from the negative side is what I meant and yes you are correct in saying earth one side of fan you will have full speed.

planespotterhvn, May 7, 10:49am
the fan is electric, the heater uses hot water colant from the engine, the fan is not a heater.

crawdad, Aug 10, 7:41pm
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/1/215664001_full.jpg
Part Number 499300-2021
Any Idea Where To Buy One Of These, Need It In My Toyota Avalon, Can't Seem To Find Them @ Parts Stores.
crawdad75686@yahoo.com

nick, Feb 1, 9:57pm
x1
i had to replace the heater motor on my hiace van year 97 boy what a job that was ,i had to ripe out the whole dash to get at it. this is not a job for the faint hearted. replaced the motor with a second hand one and put it all back togeather now all is well