Toyota 3S-GE snapped bambelt

a18a, Apr 29, 1:40am
I have a car with this engine & it has a snapped cam belt. I have never had the engine running since I've had the car, so before I blow a couple hundred bucks on a new cam belt kit, I would like to make sure the engine would still be a good runner. I don't think any valves have bent as they all still go up & down without issues when I turn the cams. Is there much else I can do or test to make sure the condition of the motor is still good!

mugenb20b, Apr 29, 1:49am
Cylinder leakage test.

intrade, Apr 29, 1:51am
just go to toyota and ask for a old belt they removed from a serviced car and see if it runs right with that befor you spend money.

scoobeey, Apr 29, 1:52am
non interference engine :) you are good to go! anyhow how many kms had the belt done

intrade, Apr 29, 1:56am
yea they dont interfear only the later beams do.

a18a, Apr 29, 2:04am
googling the whole leak-down test thing now, surprised I didn't know about this any earlier! Wonder if I can rig my own setup so I can take the car up the road and use their air for tyres lol (I don't have my own air compressor yet)

Good to know about it being a non-interference engine. According to the odometer, minus the "cambelt changed at" number, the belt has 93000km on it

a18a, Apr 29, 2:05am
bambelt

mugenb20b, Apr 29, 2:06am
LOL! I didn't even see that until you mentioned it.

kazbanz, Apr 29, 5:02am
If the belt has done 93k I'd be looking for oil leaks from the crank seal. Its pretty unusual for a belt in one of those to "just break" so oil dripping on the belt could be the cause of premature failure.
-Um have you opened up and had a look to see if a tensioner has busted!

Anyhoo my 10c worth.Open up the covers and have a looksee -if its "just" a busted belt or teeth gone from belt then why not do a deal with your parts guy.!
Buy the belt only and toss it in. If it all looks good and the car runs finethen grab the rest of the kit and fit it and zip her upIf not you are only out $35 for a belt

a18a, Apr 29, 6:31am
Where do you get a cam belt for $35! The cheapest (just the belt) I could find was $65 at partsmaster. The whole works (belt, tensioner, water pump, seals, etc.) was $315

I pulled off the top cover, the water pump seems a bit stiff to move, and has a few rusty water marks around it. The cooling system has been very neglected by the looks of it. The tensioner would definitely need to be replaced too as that doesn't feel good either. Though from what I could see, it's pretty dry in the oil pump area.

Must have been quite a bit of resistence on the belt for it to rip like it did. The rest of the belt still looks in good condition.

I might try as intrade said and see if anyone has a old toyota belt I could use just to get it running

ghost-roaster, Apr 29, 6:58am
It's a shame I've only got a 3S-FEbelt. A seized water pump will doit.

intrade, Apr 29, 7:05am
i got a quote here from partsmaster full kit all seals for a 5sfe 247.77$ you just got to ask for trade price at parts master and you get it if you are regularly there.

intrade, Apr 29, 7:07am
he will see when he strips it if it was old age or something else . if he waits 1 week then he can have the old belt from the 5sfe i be off for a week so the job has to wait till i get back as partsmaster did mot have 2 seals from the quote.

mantagsi, Apr 29, 9:59am
$300 genuine! ah cool bananas, yeah at that price I would be more than happy to go genuine too