Residual voltage in cooling system

shrekle, Apr 14, 7:55pm
Hi, we have a petrol VX landcruiser and have replaced the radiator with a new unit, have fully flushed out the cooling system and of course new anti freeze mix. As part of the warranty we have to check the cooling system for voltage ( the actual coolant ) in which it has .113 volts ( is supposed to have a maximum of .05v ). We have checked all the earths and have tried earthing other components, no effect. If we turn lights, wpers, fan switch etc on the voltage only goes up. We have tried auto sparkys to no help at all, all saying they have heard of it, tried to rectify it, but no success. Rang the radiator suppliers for help, no real help there either ( told to check the earth leads ). Interestingly, with the batteries disconnected it still has the same voltage in the coolant. I'll be buggered if I no what to do or check next. Any help or advise would be much appreciated, cheers

skin1235, Apr 14, 8:09pm
could you check what the voltage is in a bottle of the mixed coolant!
you may find it is the same sitting in a4 lt bottle on the ground beside the unit, ie well beyond your control
physics and electronics say it must be zero in a non reactive environment ( jar = non reactive) but while in an engine has cast, alli, copper etc which do always react and can give a readable voltage
antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor is supposed to cut that to a minimum or completely
you may also have a cheap ( poorly calibrated) volt meter

intrade, Apr 14, 8:10pm
well something is acting as a battery in the cooling system i dont know your facts about mesuring voltage on coolant , we usually mesure with e refractometer if the coolant is protective enough that is it so mesuring voltage is new to meand i can also not see how you mesure that! holding the 2 ends in the water! Maybe try another multimeter!

skin1235, Apr 14, 8:12pm
the coolant is one 'pole' what are you connecting to to get the other 'pole', if it is the neg post on the battery then you need to investigate the correct method
been a while but aren't the connections supposed to be coolant to cast steel, ie engine block

skin1235, Apr 14, 8:15pm
you may also find it is the probes on your voltmeter reacting, try in a glass of salt water, then a glass of 20% vinegar or lemon juice
if you get any reading at all in those you need inert probes, chrome covered copper doesn't cut it

skin1235, Apr 14, 8:26pm
that voltage measurement is a way of checking the ph levels, to be non reactive it must be neutral,too high acidic gives higher voltages, not sure if lowering to alkaline reverses it, too alkaline does the same
try perhaps with a small amount in a jar, if it is still high add a little baking soda and try again
this is going in your engine - if you can achieve it by adding b/soda check with your warranty guys before dumping soda in the rad
it can stem from slightly acidic water in the first place

shrekle, Apr 14, 8:28pm
according to the instructions that came with the radiator the earth lead for the multimeter is to be connected to the negative for the battery and the positive to the coolant only. However with both batteries disconnected it the earth lead was simply to any earth on the vehicle. Multimeter should be fine as its not a cheap one but I will check against another type tomorrow. There are some really good ideas suggested,
I will go through and check them as its actually quite interesting getting to the bottom of it. Thank you all for your comments/help cheers

skin1235, Apr 14, 8:29pm
shorter posts today lol
alkaline will react with alli, acid will react with iron, make sure you have expert advice before adjusting the actual cooling system - and obviously your sparky , mechanic, warranty outfit are not expert enough, neither am I

elect70, Apr 15, 1:22am
GetPH testedvoltmeters(unless hi quality )are notorious forgiving readingeven withoutconnecting . . Other way is to use only distilled water &antifreeze/ inhibitorin system. .First timeheard of it being warrantycheckissue.

rkauto, Apr 15, 3:32am
wasnt a1 radiators by any chance!

bwg11, Apr 15, 4:48am
Genuine pink Toyota coolant!

cjdnzl, Apr 15, 11:08am
Your meter probe material may be upsetting the readings.Most meters I have met have copper or tinned copper, some have brass, and they will generate a voltage all on their own in a reactive solution.Try a stainless steel probe, or possibly a carbon rod from a torch battery for the probe immersed in the coolant.Any probe is ok on the dry end, whether battery or engine block.

guest, May 14, 6:52pm
we too are having this issue on a dodge pickup, battery disconnected and a .8 volt in cooling system. trying different things, used 2 different multimeters, slightly different readings.