Engine overheating, Nissan Mistral

Page 1 / 2
pshark, Apr 14, 2:50am
Overheats, put new thermostat in, still overheating. Coolant holder boiling. Pressure test done and ok, new radiator/water pump, hoses put in about 18 months ago. out of ideas, not a car person :D Help please.

pshark, Apr 14, 3:04am
x1
ps: can hear a hissing sound coming from radiator when stopped when hot.

bubbles244, Apr 14, 3:04am
change the radiator cap.people over look the simple things.cant hold pressure.starts boiling within 5 minutes

pshark, Apr 14, 3:05am
new cap when new radiator put in :(

bubbles244, Apr 14, 3:10am
is it an automatic or manual, is there water in the oil! is there any excessive smoke from the exhaust when idling! is there any white substance in the engine oil!

bubbles244, Apr 14, 3:11am
make sure it is the right cap, Mistrals were made in south africa, not japan so a radiator cap with Jap writing on it is most likley the incorrect one.

pshark, Apr 14, 3:41am
Its an auto, no water in the oil as far as we can tell, only smoke comes when i put my foot down and its only a puff.

pshark, Apr 14, 3:42am
and i assume the cap came with the radiator.but fits fine, no leaking or hissing untill you loosen it

gadgit3, Apr 14, 3:53am
Viscous fan

intrade, Apr 14, 3:55am
fan not working or instant overheat waterpump not working . also split crankshaft pulley not driving waterpump all= overheating mitsubishi toyota etc have had split harmonic balancer pulley usually when its got aircon yu can turn it on and see if the fanbelt starts stalling .

pshark, Apr 14, 3:59am
Fans working, with ac on to, had a mate over, he had a quick look, said its pos water pump/cracked head, which would piss me off as just got new radiator/water pump in as i said earlier less than 18months ago :(

gadgit3, Apr 14, 4:06am
Stink if it's the head. Not uncommon tho. On the fan front. being a viscous type, it can spin all day long but if the fluid is getting thin or low the fan will never get up to speed. So just cause it's spining dosn't mean it's pulling enough air to cool the radiator.

pshark, Apr 14, 4:09am
and how to check if thats the prob!

gadgit3, Apr 14, 4:12am
Putting the heater on hot and cranking the fan speed to max when the temp starts to move up. If it starts to come down then I would start looking at the viscous fan (seen as you have replaced the radiator, pump and cap all ready.
Dose it over heat when driving on a flat bit of road at a constant speed!

pshark, Apr 14, 4:19am
Seems to level out on the flats, and jumps right up on the hills, when im driving around chch it doesnt overheat, but thats short ish distances and no hills, but just drove up to blen and was lucky if i could go 5k's without stopping and topping up the water, and on the hills, maybe 3 or 4k's if very lucky.

Did the fan thing driving up, and still went up, just not as fast.

gadgit3, Apr 14, 4:25am
Well nothing to loose in locking up the fan. The damage could be done and you might have a cracked head now!. But I would be drilling through the fan hub and lock it up so as it's direct driving.

hfc2, Apr 14, 4:26am
I had a toyota that had same issue tried everything you have , turned out head was warped, previous owner must have got it real hot. I hope this isnt your issue as it costs 000s to repair

pshark, Apr 14, 4:29am
x1
Yeah, had to get a new head put in my fto about 2 yrs ago, cars suck. Anyone want to buy a Mistral!

pshark, Apr 14, 4:30am
Thanks for all replies, sounds like its the worst of the pos problems :(

mugenb20b, Apr 14, 5:43am
Get the engine up to normal operating temperature or hotter. Roll up an old magazine or newspaper and use it to try and stop the fan from spinning. If you can stop the fan, then she's toast.

Another way to tell, is first thing in the morning. Start the engine, and you should be able to hear the fan roaring and slowing down within 15 seconds or so.

spud1991, Apr 14, 6:44am
Yeah sounds like the head may have gone, got most of the symptoms anyway.

kingfisher21, Apr 14, 6:49am
99% VERY unlikely it will be the head, yet to see one crack on a TD27T. 18 months ago is a while, check the cap, replace it and the thermostat, how long does it take to get hot! Did you use the correct thermostat!

morrisman1, Apr 14, 7:22am
Get the viscous fan serviced. A colleague had the same problem, overheating especially under load and had everything else done. turned out the viscous fan was not operating correctly and needed some new fluid in the hub.

Do this and then report back, I suspect that it may fix your problems.

snoopy221, Apr 14, 7:44am
add that and overflow bottle **boiling** and ya get diesel with compression going in to the cooling system.IMHO

snoopy221, Apr 14, 7:46am
just drove up to blen and was lucky if i could go 5k's without stopping and topping up the water, and on the hills, maybe 3 or 4k's if very lucky.

Again diesel putting compression in to the cooling system and blowing water out.
IMHO

[Could be just a gasket on a TD27-but she's lookin like a compression test-and head offski]
IMHO