Removing the radio / cd

biddy6, May 5, 10:44am
from my honda crv 1996 model, because its stuffed . It is the original Honda 2 piece item, and I want to just replace it with a single radio / cd player. Can you get something to fill the remaining space, or do I have to have a ugly hole in the dash.Cheers for any info.

gunhand, May 5, 10:47am
You can buy double din units (cd player etc same size as you took out) that fill up the space for about $300 or less at times. Or you can get filler trays. Go into repco or supercheap they have them on the shelf sometimes

biddy6, May 5, 8:26pm
Thanks for that gunhand.

gammelvind, May 5, 9:08pm
Got a very nice JVC double unit to fill the space in our Toyota, from JB Hifi, wasn't hard to fit if you are a bit of a handyman. Think it was about $230.

clark20, May 5, 9:53pm

kazbanz, May 5, 10:01pm
Biddy-The cheapest option is to buy a "normal" radio/cd unit. You can get quite a decent unit for around the $100 mark. Then for about $25.00 you can buy a plastic tray that fits under it. You MAY find that a sterio the size of your old one is not available under $450 RIGHT NOW. Sterio companies are finding it hard to get stock of double din (what they are called) units thanks to the wharrf strikes.

biddy6, May 5, 10:31pm
Thanks again for the info guys.I'm in my 60s, so I'm only looking for a basic radio/cd player, I dont need mp3 or ipod xtras.Had a look at the ones inSupercheap catalogue , $119.00 seems ok for me, just need to find a pocket to hide the hole.

n3d4sp3d, May 6, 7:38am
thoses are mongrels to get the old radio out of the lower dash has to come out as the headunit is screwed in from behind