Anyone got a great Wall double cab?

lawlorc, May 6, 11:15am
Looking at a petrol double cab, any reports!

usdefault, May 6, 11:29am
Don't crash it.

net_oz, May 6, 5:30pm
The ''experts" will be along soon to tell you all about them.

kenw1, May 6, 8:11pm
The only comment i have heard on them is " bit like a Toyota, but a 1990 one" if it is for a serious purpose, work related, I would buy a serious ute.

poppajn, May 6, 8:47pm
Boss,s brother has just sold his, went really well, good ute for the money. He updated.

gman35, May 6, 9:01pm
Did he mention how the depreciation was !

gizmsme, May 6, 9:48pm
Funny thing is I remember all these same comments a few decades ago when jap cars andlater, imported jap cars came into NZ.Kiwis are very Sussof anythingdifferent or cheap.

robotnik, May 6, 10:02pm
It was the same with Korean cars a decade or so later. Some Kiwis are even suspicious of European cars like Fiats and such. I guess New Zealanders are pretty conservative in a lot of their purchasing decisions.

yogibearz, May 6, 10:15pm
All new car purchases in particular depreciate quickly but these are real bad. You couldnt get me to own it if you gave it to me.
Low crash ratings and huge losses would see me pass.NO Thanks.

thejazzpianoma, May 6, 10:55pm
The trouble is because Kiwi's are suspicious of everything it makes it hard to sort out which suspicions are justified and which are not.

Unfortunately the Chinese situation is different to the Korean/Japanese one. The early Japanese cars (think Honda Civic of the 70's etc) were actually pretty good compared to what else was available at the time. They were made by a country obsessed with quality, efficiency and reliability.

China is different all together. What tends to happen is that products made in China for famous international brands are of good quality. That's because the owners of that brand keep very strict control over the quality of the product and invest properly in R & D etc.

With domestic Chinese brands in general it can be quite different. Sure some are of reasonable quality but they fight a culture that's all about cutting corners and investing as little as possible. The resulting product to date (especially with vehicles) is of the lowest possible standard. We have been importing Chinese scooters a lot longer than we have been importing Chinese cars, go and ask anyone with a Chinese scooter what they think of it. What you will tend to find is the quality is shocking compared to Japanese brands.

Chinese vehicles may get there eventually but they are not of equivalent standard as yet. Also, do the math. High initial depreciation is not what you want in a brand new vehicle, I have not looked to see what it actually is so can't comment in detail but its worth doing the maths accurately for yourself.

Also. its worth considering that the car industry is highly competitive. There is no "magic wand' you can wave to produce a vehicle of equivalent quality for a much cheaper price. You have to be happy with whats been sacrificed for the low price tag.

3tomany, May 7, 12:20am
kiwis are realists. fact is jap cars are good but early ones were crap, korean cars are now good but early ones were crap, used imports are now good but early ones were worn out before they got here making them crap. so the answer to chinese cars is if you want a crap car buy one now and if you want a good chinese car be patient

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 12:25am
You forget one thing though. Korea and Japan especially have an entirely different culture. The business/manufacturing culture in Japan especially is all about quality, continuous improvement and honor.

The Culture in China is how cheap, how fast and absolutely no honor or regard for intellectual property, the law etc.

This means the wait could be a very very long one for anything resembling a quality product, of equivalent standards to the other brands.

bellky, May 7, 12:26am
Yes in Japan = Kaizen.

scoobeey, May 7, 12:31am
You have to remember the chinese can make any quality you want .consumers demand cheap-they make cheap. thats the way it is !

bubbles244, May 7, 4:56am
Ive driven a hilux through a great wall however ive never driven a wall through my 4x4.

n3d4sp3d, May 7, 5:31am
why not buy a mid 00s l200 same motor but better and stronger truck

foxdonut, May 7, 6:14am
This.

The Japanese were / are artisan metalsmiths before they built cars for export They were technical and able to improve rather than cut corners.

The Japanese auto industry of the 70's got its bad rep because of US embargoes on the metal they imported and the tariffs that were placed on their cars coming into the states. Once they were set up in the US domestically and able to import without restriction they completely smashed the American market with cars that were competitively priced, optioned and reliable.

They're rarely ever fast or good looking, but as a to b cars the Japanese can't be beat.

The Chinese have never had the same difficulties (or talents) they just copy everyone else and sell an inferior product at a lower price.

Before Mitsubishi made shitty cars, they made excellent fighter planes.

Before Chery "made" 'cars' they made nothing.