Mazda CX7 - CX9

ronnoc, May 7, 7:05am
Looking at getting an updated vehicle - I like the look of these. Just wanting to get feedback if you have one or the other, I havent had a mazda forever (MX5) about 15 years ago. Thanks in advance.

stevo2, May 7, 7:26am
Both very good cars although I understand the CX7 is to be dropped for the new CX5, which is getting rave reviews.

trdbzr, May 7, 8:17am
CX7 is fairly thirsty, it uses more fuel than a v6 VE. Apart from that they are pretty good cars and tick most boxes. The CX9 is just a bigger version. Initially NZ was never going to get the CX9 because the bosses at Mazda thought there would be no demand for it. It turned out to be the opposite and after some years they decided to give in to the demand and brought it in.

If you wanted something to keep for a number of years then have a look at the CX5. The price of petrol is only going to go up and it does look to be fairly economical.

phillip.weston, May 7, 8:23am
yes go for the CX-5 which is a touch smaller than the CX-7 but still has reasonable interior room, but the big feature is excellent fuel economy with the SkyActiv engine range. The CX-9 is even thirstier than the CX-5 having a Ford derived 3.7L V6 engine only with no direct injection as found on the CX-5 and CX-7.

asa50, May 7, 8:37am
Whilst not strictly about the cars questioned, our fleet we have had both CX-7 (2wd non turbo) and Mazda 6 wagons 2.5L.
Pros of CX7
New price slightly cheaper, less ugly
Pros of 6 Wagon.
Better economy, more load room, more driver leg room, faster, better handling.