Toyota Wish or Isis owners or those in the know.

gijoe131, May 7, 8:41am
Hi there, just wanting some info on either the Toyota Wish or the Toyota Isis. We are looking at the1800cc in both of these cars. We currently have a Honda Odyssey & are finding it rather expensive to use as our daily driver. Between us & being the kids taxi we do anything between 300-400kms a week. Would a Toyota be more economical! Out of two which one is better! Etc.Thanks in advance :-)

kazbanz, May 7, 8:46pm
Gi Joe-DEFINITELY you will notice a decent difference in fuel economy regardless if you go for a wish or an ISIS.
I am specifically refering to the 1800vvti versions.
Mechanically and internal layout wisethey are the same vehicle so reliability wise they are the same.
You will be suprised how grunty the wish/Isisactually is. It will DEFINITELY be fine for your purposes.
Purely in my opinion I think you must decide what is more important to youlooks or function. The wish has the "normal" modern station wagonlook on the outside and drives like an 1800cc corolla feilder.The doors are "normal" side opening The toyota ISIShas sliding side doorswhich I personally love for car park parking with kids,
Im not keen on the 2.0l D4 version of either model
Incidently if you want a BIG suprise then have a look at a totota sienta.
I get three adult sized people as well as three kids and a baby into one and everybody has legroom -amazing car.
ALL THAT SAID --do your maths first.
Its all fine and wonderfull buying a new car butif the cost to pay for the new car turns out to be say the DIFFERENCEin fuel economy over 10 years then you are silly to change.
The simple calculation is
Ie-Odyssseycosts X per week in fuelx52
New car costs X per week in fuel plus X per week in loan repayments x52

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 9:21pm
Without wanting to encourage the trolls, read the other Toyota Wish thread. Toyota's are not the vehicle to buy if you want economy, the reason being their attempt at the new efficient direct injection engines is a reliability fail (D4) as Kaz pointed out above. Then you either have to choose a CVT transmission which also raises reliability concerns or be stuck with a 1980's technology 4 speed auto with power/economy sapping torque converter.

If you want economy buy a VW Touran. It has a current technology 6 speed no torque converter transmission and an efficient direct injection engine that is properly reliable. Even better grab a diesel one (they do come up now and then) and you will get even better economy.

The only catch is you have to fight the sentiment of an entire industry that rely's almost solely on used Japanese imports to survive. They make up all kinds of silly nonsense to justify why you shouldn't buy one.

If you want to know more about these ask. Otherwise I will leave it to the trolls to come and spread their nonsense like in the other thread.

Also. Kaz above is correct about doing the math on the cost of changing etc. If you are only changing for economy and its going to cost you more it may not be worth it.

Also, if you are changing just for economy and the purchase price kills it. If you don't mind a different looking car consider buying a $6000 Fiat Multipla, it will run rings around the Toyota in terms of running cost, is super reliable, practical and can be bought for a song. They come up regularly but I think TM is sold out right of this moment.

kazbanz, May 7, 9:36pm
Jazz-- PERSONAL experience. I have NEVER sold a toyota wish or isis with a cvt transmission.

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 10:00pm
Not sure what you are getting at here!
If you are saying that they don't come with CVT the 2.0 Wish does, I suspect you don't sell those because the silly D4 engine scares you away.

The Isis has the CVT option as well.

BTW, I am not super anti CVT. I really like the concept in terms of an economy standpoint, however many units are unreliable and all need to be serviced exactly when specified by the manufacturer or even earlier in order to last properly. DSG is the much better option as it gives you the same or better economy yet by nature of its design is still very reliable. (The warranty statistics in the other thread show reliability very similar to the ancient Toyota 4 speed, and supposed reliability is that transmissions ONLY selling point).

If you are wanting personal experience, we are on to our 4th DSG transmission in the family, yet to have a problem (although this sample size is too small, use the warranty site in the other thread for a fair assessment)

Anyhow, I am off now for the day. Have a great day Kaz!

petermcg, May 8, 5:35am
If you go for the Isis, make sure you get a Morris Isis from back in the 50s, they were the first family car in NZ to top the ton. (100mph)

doggie72, May 8, 6:04am
I've just brought a Toyota Wish and love it.It has a large gas tank (still trying to work out what size but think it 60L). Cost around $150 to fill and we just went to Christchurch from Dunedin return and didn't even go through a full tank.Still had around 1/4 left.Nice to drive and if you put an odyssey next to it the size comparison is not much different.We've had ours for 2 weeks and I was initially looking at a Caldina.I would be disappointed if I had brought the Caldina.

doctor_evil99, May 8, 7:04am
Before you head down to the track of a VW Touran - google "DSG Gearbox".DSG gear boxes still have some issues in term of reliability. simply dual clutches are still early in its concept. few years from now it'll be better.Other than that Touran is a good car

guest, Sep 13, 8:23am
Had the isis for over a year and so glad I got that over the wish. The look and name is a bit of a downside but it's big enough for 7 people and so easy to fit and install car seats.
I have the 1.8L because I didn't want the CTV or D4 engine. 60L tank. I can go from wellington to hastings on a quater of a tank. It's awesome.