Toyota Wish 1.8 2004 or ?

Page 1 / 3
bill-boy, May 6, 1:16pm
want something more economical than the current Nissan LARGO 2.4 we have.
why! i can't keep up with the cost in petrol especially with my daily travels, 3 kids and sometimes and odd extra, plus the hubby out side of work hours.
would like to travel from chch-dunedin more regular to visit family, would it struggle on the open road! what about if we had a small trailer - 3x3 i think it is! i don't know much about cars (as u can tell)

kazbanz, May 6, 8:47pm
Bill boy -Ok DEFINITELYyou will notice aHUGE difference in fuel economy.
The wish compared to a Largo is really frugal.on fuel.
You will be suprised how grunty the wish actually is. It will DEFINITELY be fine for your purposes. My two concerns areif its fully loaded with people and has 6x4 trailer full of soil in the back.and that the wish is a fair bit smaller than the largo so you will miss the space for "stuff"
Incidently -Fairly new on the kiwi market is the toyota ISIS -mechanically identical to the wish but it has sliding rather than side opening doors.

thejazzpianoma, May 6, 9:00pm
For the price of a wish you could buy a VW Touran.
The Touran actually achieves what Toyota didn't with the wish i.e a direct injection engine that is properly reliable and a transmission that dosn't sap away your economy that isn't a CVT. This is important because with the Wish you either have to choose from a 1980's technology 4 speed transmission (which spoils your economy and driving experience) OR a CVT, the CVT means the car is basically driven by a belt which is not the greatest plan for towing a trailer or being heavily loaded etc.

The VW on the other hand gives you 6 gears and the clever design has no "torque converter" which is the bit that saps your power/economy in an old fashioned auto.

Its just a much better vehicle all round, is very capable on the open road, plenty of go and super frugal on the fuel. The best part is because you don't pay the "Toyota Tax" because its a VW you get far more vehicle for your money.
Best of luck!

BTW, you want the 2.0 Petrol Touran rather than the 1.6. If you are really lucky you might find a 2.0 Diesel one in your price range which is cheaper to run again and very powerful.

thunderbolt, May 6, 9:04pm
Jazz, the wish can be picked up for about 5 k less with under 100km on the clock.
And there will be more spare availble because there are more of them on the road.

thejazzpianoma, May 6, 9:15pm
I dissagree, the Wish starts about 9K which is about the cheapest you can get a Touran for. You typically pick up a really nice Touran with less than 100K on the clock for about 13K,. The wish may be fractionally cheaper and easier to get with really low km's but its still very much the same price range.

The only catch with the VW is there are less for sale so you wait longer for the real bargains.

Once you have bought one there is no advantage of having "more on the road"parts for the Touran are plentiful and cheap (because of properly massive worldwide production).

Its just a much better car for the money for what they are doing.

However. if they really wanted to spend as little as possible. They could buy a really nice Multipla Diesel for about 7K which would also cost next to nothing to run, tow a decent load and have plenty of room for luggage etc. The Multipla is actually the most practical of all and costs a lot less to buy. Trouble is there are none on TM right now.

djazza, May 6, 10:11pm
If you go for a Touran make sure you put aside an extra 4k to fix the transmission when it goes, it's common knoledge that the Touran along with the Golfs and Audis with the DGS gearbox has a common fault with the valve body.

thejazzpianoma, May 6, 10:16pm
Incorrect, that's just a myth. All transmissions can break, the wet clutch DSG does not break any more than Toyota's 4 speed automatic. All automatic transmissions are expensive to fix.

The DSG is nothing oddball or unproven, I am pretty sure its safe to say its the most popular automatic transmission of the world and has been for some time.

Unfortunately OP if you want the better car you will have to wade through the endless wives tales and car dealer nonsense about any car that is not Japanese. Its the nature of living in a country where used Japanese imports are what the used car industry rely's on.

The ironic thing in this case is that the Golf is the more reliable vehicle. You see with the Wish you either have to buy the 1.8 with the 4 speed auto which uses inefficient very old technology (Like VW were using 10 years before the Wish came out) OR you can choose Toyota's attempt and the modern efficient technology's which in the case of their direct injection engine is a complete fail on the reliability front.

Expect a lot more wives tails, nonsense and attempted justifications to come out in this thread because I have dared to suggest a car that is not Japanese.

djazza, May 6, 10:38pm
A myth! What a load of crap! I have only ever imported 4 vehicles with a DSG trans and 3 of them I had to replace the Valvebody. NEVER AGAIN WILL I IMPORT ONE! In 10 years of importing Toyotas I have NEVER had one come in with a trans problem! I guarantee if you call any transmission shop in Ak and ask if there are any common faults with these DGS gearboxes they will tell you without hesitation about the valvebody fault. If you have ever looked to buy anything with a DSG gearbox from the Japanese auction houses you will see most of them state TRANSMISSION FAULT in the description. Jazz you may be very knowledgeable but you are the most one sided person I have ever come across. I have not met you in person but I constantly read the bullshit you speal on trade me. I have even seen you try and convert someone looking for a 4wd to use on the beach to try and buy a lemon Touran! Op the Wish is a good reliable vehicle, I have never heard of them having any transmission problems, If you go for a Touran and are going to tow I guarantee you will have tarns problems. Just ask the poor girl on here who took Jazz's advise and brought a Golf with the DSG trans!

thejazzpianoma, May 6, 11:04pm
djazza above is way way way off the mark. Without wanting to start yet another silly slinging match here are the points to consider.

1. The vehicle he refers to for use on the beach was not a Touran, I suggested an Amarok which is a galvanised 4WD Ute!

2. The "girl" on here I think he is referring to did not buy a Golf GTI on my suggestion, she bought it of her own accord. She had a fault with the vehicle that turned out not to even be a transmission fault at all. The only problem there was an uniformed garage that had no clue and tried to rip her off.

3. Here are some actual statistics.
Scroll down and compare the transmission fault percentage.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/218 http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/247

All Golf's in this survey use the DSG if fitted with an automatic, the vast majority in that segment are using the same DSG we are talking about here.

We are on to our 4th vehicle in the family with the same transmission, zero faults to date.

Like I said, its just nonsense. Any time you have a car thats not Japanese come up with a fault there is an almighty great song and a dance from the "Dealer Types" who rely on this nonsense to sell their vehicles which usually lack in technology, features and value compared to the European brands. Don't get me wrong, they are sincere in what they say (because they have slapped each other on the back and told these story's for so long they believe it themselves) but they are generally not accurate.

After all, don't you think there would be massive class action etc (Like there is with Toyota) if the most popular automatic transmission in the world really was unreliable!

Like I said OP, you can either do your own proper research and get a much better car for your purpose for the money or you can blindly accept the wives tails and nonsense and get a car that's no where near as good.

The choice is entirely yours!

kazbanz, May 6, 11:16pm
There you go Jazz I've fixedit for you. at no charge to you

thejazzpianoma, May 6, 11:20pm
LOL, after all, you would know Kaz.

Its not like you suggested the tiptronic version of the Jazz CVT was an entirely different and somehow reliable transmission. oh no. .wait.

I was just thinking yesterday that we are overdue for a good scrap. Hope the new addition is going well and you are getting some better sleep BTW.

djazza, May 6, 11:51pm
Jazz, I'm not going to get into an argument with you. I know what I have been told by the 'profesionals' who deal with transmissions everyday, and from mine and all the other dealers I know who will no longer import anything with a dsg trans because of the valvebody problem. Last time I had to replace one Continental had run out of valvebodys, they were so popular they had another container of them arriving that week! Anyone who whats some honest info on these talk to Ken at Auckland automatics. He's been in the game for a looooong time and knows these trans' like the back of his hand. His comment to me was, these should have been a recall item. VW knows the problem and they will not let any aftermarket parts be released for them as they make so much money selling the valvebodys!

trdbzr, May 7, 12:09am
Typical Jazz lying as usual. The Wish is a good choice and is FAR more reliable than a Touran. There have been MANY cases where Jazz has been caught out lying and then he runs away from those threads, the search function is on your left. Funny how he didn't provide this link

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/241 Now compare that with the Wish, the 1.8 has the same engine and gearbox as the Corollahttp://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/218

Stay away from the Touran and go for the Wish. You will not regret it. Mainly because you will spend more time driving it rather than spend $$$ constantly fixing it.

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 12:16am
Your story sounds good but offers nothing by way of actual numbers/statistics, you will always see a lot of DSG's in for repair because there are a lot of DSG's!

All that matters is the percentage/likelyhood of failure. The statistics I posted are clear, chances of failure are very very low.

I am yet to even see someone come on this messageboard first hand with a DSG failure. (that actually turned out to be a DSG failure).

I am sure you are genuine with your concerns, humans are emotional creatures and its only natural to go with the "word on the street" and horror stories but the reality of the matter is the actual numbers/facts show the DSG to be extremely reliable.

BTW, if you are wondering why I posted the statistics for the Golf as Opposed to the Touran its because that site puts both series of Touran together. This isn't very helpful as the second generation Touran was a very very advanced vehicle which could even park itself, with extra sophistication comes less reliability.

The first generation Touran as is applicable to the OP is really just a Golf with an altered bodyshell, therefore the Golf statistics are more realistic.

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 12:17am
trdbzr is just a troll (go look up his posts and see for yourself). Nuff said.

bellky, May 7, 12:20am
THERE GOES thejazzpianoma AGAIN WITH ALL HIS GARBAGE ABOUT SOMETHING OP WASN'T ASKING ABOUT.

PLEASE SPARE ME!

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 12:22am
This is trdbzrs friend, troll N.o2

bellky, May 7, 12:24am
Rah, Rah, Rah, Rah, Rah, ad nauseum!

nightboss, May 7, 12:30am
Hey Jazz - Add a few pictures or links to youtube. All those words are confusing for the truants. It turns them nasty.

trdbzr, May 7, 12:30am
Typical Jazz line. He's called car dealers who have imported and dealt with thousands of cars, and mechanics who have spent time in Europe and their life fixing cars "knuckle dragging trolls" all because they disagreed with his one eyed bias and actually stated facts rather than drivel.

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 12:34am
LOL, good call.

bellky, May 7, 12:36am
Still wouldn't be interested.

trdbzr, May 7, 12:38am
Edited lol, this nark may have got his knickers in a twist

bellky, May 7, 12:40am
Watchout trdbzr - I don't want you getting a warning so may pay to edit!

nightboss, May 7, 12:45am
What a nice friend you are looking out for your mate there.