Mazda Premacy or Toyota Wish

haventrader, May 30, 7:05am
Looking at these 2 wagons as the "perfect" family car. We don't need 7 seats but good to have the option esp when carting around kids and their friends / family etc. For around the same money one seems to get more options in the Mazda, and possibly the better looking of the 2, even though it is more of a "van". Any opinions from owners! Cheers

mcscottwgtn, May 30, 7:17am
The Toyota Wish is used as a taxi in Singapore.Nice to ride in.

kazbanz, May 30, 7:48am
x1
By premacy I am assuming you mean "new" premacy (05/06)
If so pure spec wise the premacy is the better vehicle.
sliding rear doors 2.0l chain drive engine and 7 seats.
However on paper may not equal real world
The Wish has 7 "real" seats. he premacy has 6 real seats and a fold out dicky seat in the middle of the centre row of seats.
The premacy sliding doors are a godsend
The wish has the 1800 VVTi engine and 4 stage auto boxfrom the corolla. (dont look at the 2.0l)
If looks aren't vital to you I'd recommend looking at a Toyota Isis (said eye sis)
It takes the best features of both vehicles.
1800 VVTi engine and 4 stage auto box
Sliding rear doors
rear seats fold to create a station wagon.
fuel economy like the wish

haventrader, May 30, 9:02am
Thanks Kaz. Yes, you're assuming the correct model Premacy. As for the Isis, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Had a look at one and decided not for us. Thanks for your comments!

kazbanz, May 30, 9:10am
Hey HT- I can't in all concience recommend one over the other then.
If I had a lean it would be to the wish based on the proven VVTi engine and having 7 real seats or if in SW mode 5 real seats.

peter_michelle, May 31, 5:34am
we just bought the facelift (05-06) premacy. Happy with the layout, split rear seats are good, sliding door fantastic. there is a problem with the locks they can't fix, when you unlock them the rear doors don't often unlock and you have to manually open them. apparently it's a common fault. Aside from this it's ok on fuel, about 430km per tank around town and nearly 600km on the open road. at the moment a tank is about $100. like parking a small car, much shorter than our previous station wagon.(you can tell I'm a woman).

haventrader, May 31, 9:45am
Thanks for the comments. I had a Wish and Premacy side by side today. A tough choice in all respects and each have their own strong points and few weak points. Thanks for the warning on the locks - I'll look out for that.

incar., May 31, 10:14am
Go for the toyota, premacy's are already starting to fail, interior and exterior, also get a inspection done its a must!

kazbanz, May 31, 8:28pm
Hey there PM--sorry but thats rubbish-"they" are giving you the run around.
The door motors have worn out. Call a DECENTalarm installer and have them fit a pair of generic door motors for you. The whole job costs about $250.

peter_michelle, May 31, 11:41pm
thanks Kazbanz, I know they replaced the boot motor and that works fine now!

kazbanz, May 31, 11:46pm
its a pity you can't live with the Isis --it really is the best of both to drive/use

peter_michelle, May 31, 11:46pm
and we thought they weren't doing their job properly when they said they didn't know how to fix it (auto electrician)

haventrader, Jun 1, 4:24am
Will have a look at another over the weekend. Could've been a colour thing, and I think the one I got into was once an ashtray too.

cpnnz, Jun 1, 11:26am
You can buy the correct door lock actuators from Mazda for less than $100 each. would not take someone more than an hour to install them. Have just done some myself.

kazbanz, Jun 1, 9:00pm
well there ya go then. Even buying factory parts is less than $300 fitted.
I must admit I prefer the aftermarket ones-the mazda stuff seems to be built to JUST do the job

guest_-_wellingt, Jul 8, 10:41am
x1
So, which is it guys? Mazda Premacy, Toyota Wish or Honda Stream? The things I'm particularly keen on are camchain driven, reliability, comfort, fuel efficiency, and driver responsiveness/handling.