Honda Odyssey or Toyota Wish

bigsteve10, Feb 8, 6:16am
Wanting pros and cons of both please.

Looking at both, but need people's experiences to help decide

laspaz, Feb 8, 6:19am
I was weighing up both a couple of Months ago and went for the Honda Odyssey Absolute.

Pros: Larger vehicle, Cruise control, Stability control, more comfortable, more powerful.

Cons: More expensive, more thirsty.

More likey.

bigsteve10, Feb 8, 6:39am
This has pointed me towards the wish. We don't need all the seats but need the room for a baby.
Could buy a small hatch for the time being but buying either of the large wagons now would save a change of vehicle and more expense later.

kazbanz, Feb 8, 11:21pm
bigsteve.--sorry to be a pedant but WHICH Honda oddity?
Im guessing you mean 04 and newer.
if so then I'd suggest you aren't comparing apples with apples.
People movers seem to have four distinct sizes regardless of make
The Wish competes directly with the 06 an newer Honda stream or the 05 and newer mazda premacy -by that they are all the same physical size and engine size.
The odyssey is the next size up, Its the smallest of the bigger station wagon type people movers. It competes with the ipsum,MPV and Presage.

bigsteve10, Feb 9, 4:42am
The wish and maybe the 06 odyssey.

kazbanz, Feb 9, 5:21am
bigsteve based entirely on YOUR comments I would suggest you are better served by the Toyota wish 1800cc
On the basis its smaller and fuel economy is a factor for you.
I prefer the 1800 wish from a mechanical point of view too.
I have to say though that although the wish is a darn good vehicle theres a LOT of other choices equally good.
You really need to visit a dealership with a range of models to compare

bigsteve10, Feb 9, 5:54am
What do you suggest?

My partner wants a hatch or wagon that will have enough room for a stroller and easy enough access to tether straps.
I suggested going a bit bigger in car now rather than getting a smaller hatch now and upgrading again in a few years time.

laspaz, Feb 9, 5:56am
Think he suggests going to a dealership and trying on a few cars on to see what fits you best.

kazbanz, Feb 9, 6:01am
I strongly suggest going to a dealership that has in stock a decent range of people movers.
Saunders are nice enough guys but don't have the range you need.
I know that sounds truly vague and unhelpfull but honestly it isn't
"a dealer Ive heard about" sold two or three people movers at the weekend in theory at least half of them "should" have bought a wish but when they looked at the different features others had chose other options.
It really is an individual thing.
BUT my personal current favorite is the Honda Edix 2.0l
6 seater with lots of boot space and max versatility

lissa25, Feb 9, 6:03am
My condolences.

bigsteve10, Feb 9, 6:03am
They look cool but at 6ft4 aren't an option as I can't fit in them

laspaz, Feb 9, 6:06am
Oh no, I'm quite impressed, other than the Audi we had in the US, this is the best modern car we have owned!

I want that single cab so bad though. It pains me.

kazbanz, Feb 9, 6:15am
They have adjustable seat height.
But ok then another reason to look at the wish.
Mind you Um take a stepwagon for a drive,
they aren't a van to drive at all and that dealer sold one to a particularly tall bloke.-=

lissa25, Feb 9, 6:35am
Sorry just being cheeky. We are a bit masochistic though, we put 2 adults (5'10" & 6'1"), 2 kids and the dog in a 71 mini, and there is still room for the groceries!
Hope this doesn't pain you too much, http://motormavens.com/emAlbum/albums/MotorMavens/Carspotting/1967%20VW%20Single%20Cab%20Deluxe/IMG_4637_VW_Single_Cab_copy.jpg

laspaz, Feb 9, 6:41am
We are on the same wavelength Lissa, I was looking at that very single cab online today. They used to still have the arms on the park bench and people were commenting on the difficulty to enter/exit. Very cool vehicle.

Reminds me of when we first moved back to NZ, we had my wife and I, and the two kids going everywhere in the beetle as it was our only car. Had to break her wheelchair into 9 pieces to get it under the bonnet for stowing! People must have thought we were mental lol.

That sounds like a fairly full mini. Any photo available?

lissa25, Feb 9, 6:52am
Sorry to highjack your thread Steve, just showing how size isn't so important when you buy a car you love.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/362887782.jpg And one for Laspaz https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/362887869.jpg
I would go for the Wish, hatchback economy with a deceptively large interior.

laspaz, Feb 9, 6:57am
Fantastic photo with the chopper too! Are the new minis yours also? Do love the classic.

lissa25, Feb 9, 7:00am
The classic is mine, the Beemers belong to other club members that made the trek up here for January's meeting, the chopper turned up on cue as we were doing a photo at a local beach for our newsletter.

haventrader, Feb 9, 8:15am
We owned a Wish. It was fine, but very boring to drive, to look at and to own. We would eventually joke "we Wish we never bought it!" It would serve the purpose that you need as it has all the space in the world, however as suggested above, there are many other vehicles to consider that would do the job just as well. Good luck!

grantm, Feb 10, 2:55am
Had a Wish 1800 - dead boring, and gutless for passing such as a sheep truck - not enough power with one person in it ( why were they not made in 5 speed manual ? that may have helped ) let alone with 3-4 adults in it . if you want to carry a few people , get something with more power , you wont regret it .

tamarillo, Feb 10, 3:03am
Do you like cars and driving? Even a little? If you do the Honda. It's accord based and a nice drive. Plus sold around world whereas the Toyota is a jap market orphan and not designed for our roads at all. I won't buy jap market orphan, they were made for their market only.
Getting biggest car out is a dying trend, we are slow to trend here but it will catch as it has world wide. Even US and AUS are getting small cars that were never even imported a few years ago. You don't need a people mover for 1 or 2 kids. Strollers collapse, cars have got bigger.
I had a NZ new accord wagon, 09 model, absorbed huge amount in boot and a lovely car to drive. And a looker.
Gas is only going up and up long term, big cars will lose value faster IMO.

horses7, Jun 25, 11:44am
The Toyoto wishes it was a Honda,no contest