yes i no its high but can only buy what I can afford
Have started reading about the D4 being direct injected and having
problems with carbon build up causing it to run rough and
lose power at high revs. Is this common to happen seems lot toyotas
have D4 motors in them. Is it high risk buying one of these

kazbanz, Oct 7, 9:41pm
Yes it is - but by 225 km driving it should give an idea of its condition

intrade, Oct 7, 9:47pm
d4 direct injection needs 98Ron at all times as fuel. comes with all the problems direct injectors suffer like clogged carboned intake and oil sludge damage if wrong oil was used or oil not changed on time on short trips every 3 month basically
so carbon buioldup walnut blasting new intake new injectors. the bill for a tiguan was 4600 bux after i was done. The toyota is no better then a fsi vw So you have some idea of costs `would mean i would only pay 200 bux for a d4 toyota if it was otherwise mint.
you can get away with 95 ron as in northland therer is no bp 98 and the other crap is ethanol laced that causes massive problems to put that garbage in a tank is like russian roulett. if and when it will nuke the fueling system.

intrade, Oct 7, 9:59pm
if you buy one for 2500 bux with that milage with service and repair invoices for 15 grand spent in the last 8 years then it could be a good one. if no invoices exist dont go near it . i only got my passsat diesel cause it had a brand new dpf at 190.000km its got 265k and dpf are spent at 245k by factory information. to give you a ida what matters.
What you want to see on a d4 petrol is intake cleaned replaced new injectors etc in documents. new hyghpressure pump and oil changes at least once a year and coolant changed every 2 to 4 years tops

msigg, Oct 8, 11:29am
Yes as above, all depends on price,$2 - 3k who cares it it last 2 years or more, cheap motoring. Everyones cars cost 1-2 k per year anyway over your lifetime. it's not much really.

curlcrown, Oct 8, 12:02pm
$200? That's less than scrap value.

cognition, Oct 16, 8:23am
Have a D4 engine in my 2006 Toyota Avensis, I fill it with 95 octane fuel. Bought at 100,000 km, still running well at 230,000 km

Running it on 98 octane in 2 separate testing runs (with 4 tank fills each) found absolutely no mileage gains over and above running it on 95 octane, so no longer bother and simply drive on if a servo doesn't offer 95.

If anything, the stuff that is giving me most grief in the Avensis is cosmetic - the fading paint work and the sagging ceiling. Unsure if the Wish model suffers the same issue.

franc123, Oct 16, 8:52am
Sorry but there really isnt any need to be taking the risk with one. If you just need reliable wheels there are better alternatives available, including plenty of other Toyotas. Once a particular model has a bad rep in the market, does it make it easier to onsell again do you think?

cattleshed, Oct 17, 3:14pm
The 2L (1AZFSE) Wish is D4 (S) according to the engine cover. However it also has multi point injection (E). So it is a combination of direct and port injection and so it seems a bit misleading to speak of it as DI only.
The port injection aspect should be helping the 'D4' engine to stay somewhat cleaner than a straight out DI engine. Thoughts?

jesus2000, Nov 5, 3:40pm
'Multi point injection' just means more than one injector. ie, an individual injector for each cylinder. It doesn't necessarily mean the engine has both port and direct injection.