1995 Mitsi Lancer, injected or not

robotnik, May 14, 2:52am
I've come across a 1995 NZ New Mitsi Lancer and was wondering if it was injected or not. Engine is a 4G15 1.5 L unit. Has a big label saying it is 12 valve. Car decal also says it is a cyclone engine.

This is a very basic car with windy windows, manual transmission, no air-con, no air bags - probably made in Porirua I guess.

morrisman1, May 14, 2:55am
injected ones would probably have ECI Multi on the intake manifold. Carby ones will have a big air filter hanging over the engine instead.

robotnik, May 14, 3:04am
It has a big circular airfilter. However, I own a Mazda with one of these that is single point, 'TBI' injection so you never know.

phillip.weston, May 14, 3:14am
it will be carb. The only TBI Mitsubishis are the early turbo models in the 80s like the Cordia, Starion, Sigma GSR etc. All N/A injected Mitsubishis are multi-point.

robotnik, May 14, 3:14am
Hmm seems googling this futher that it must be a carby engine. Is this a car to avoid then! I don't want an engine that needs to be constantly tuned up to keep it economically running.

phillip.weston, May 14, 4:33am
if NZ-new it generally wont give much issues from the carb - the Jap imports with the carbs have an electronic feedback system which can be problematic. Just the usual carb issues would arise like clogged jets, worn throttle shafts, broken accelerator pump seals/diaphragms etc. I wouldn't say it would require constant attention - just spark plugs and oil changes to service.

a.woodrow, May 14, 4:36am
You'll have little or no troubles with it in that regard. Probably the most you'll need is to get the mixture checked once a year or so, add 15 minutes or so to a service to get this done. Mitsi carbs aren't usually a problem at all, and they are quite often still very economical, you probably wouldn't notice any difference between it and a fuel injected model of a similar year

robotnik, May 14, 5:15am
OK. My experience with carbs is secondhand from back in the day seeing my Dad faff around a lot with carbs on various sports cars he owned. I don't want to have that kind of carry on, LOL.