Diagnose my suspension fault.

Page 2 / 3
alan1111, May 10, 6:30pm
Very interesting reading as just got a new wheel alignment machine at work. Starting to use it and after 28 years of being a mechanic have not really thought about scrub radious etc before as we just outworked wheel alignments. Umm i might have to read up etc on steering geometry so i know i doing it correctly.

budgel, May 10, 8:10pm
I know you have looked, but an in depth examination of all suspension bushes might be in order, I reckon there will be a faulty component somewhere.

mugenb20b, May 10, 8:21pm
Yeah, something might be bent.

drog, May 10, 8:33pm
Had pretty much the same thing. 'Expert' wheel alignment didn't fix it. Went to another wheel alignment firm who knew their job. Transformed the car.

kazbanz, May 10, 9:43pm
back to really silly basic kinda stuff--is she possibly driving on a strange bit of road or -yea I know unlikely but doing a lot of tight left turns -ie into the garage swinging around to the left on full lock to reverse in!.
Just sometimes ya dont think of the odvious.

kingfisher21, May 10, 10:23pm
Wrong, I've been doing wheel alignments for near on 20 years. Do a bit more research.

kingfisher21, May 11, 12:24am
Think of it this way, I've set up cars with over 15 degrees of castor, lets say 15 degrees of castor and 0 degrees of camber, so if you turn the wheel 45 degress you'll have 7.5 degrees of camber on that wheel! I don't think so.

snoopy221, May 11, 2:17am
Gor blimey.anyone who has been doing alingments for 20 years should remember the tyres i posted about.

The **Kicker** here is-if ya fit directional-(Or semi directional) tyres back to front they WILL wear the outer edge.

Anyone involved with formual ford back thenKNOWS NZ had one mould Aussie had the other.
No matter how ya align a lemo-(dunlop lemans) it's still either a left or right lemon.
[So maybe that is just another thing that could be involved here-with only ONE tyre wearing on ONE edge.]

mrfxit, May 11, 2:46am
JUST to confuse ya all

Got that same problem on a 1996 Ford Laser FE (1600cc)
New tyres 1 year ago.
Mostly town with a bit of long distance.
Several different drivers
Left front tyre has badly worn the outer edge, inside edge is fine
Other tyres are wearing evenly without any shoulder wear
Vehicle steers/handles fine
Can't remember the brand but it's a cheapy (car not here at the moment)

kingfisher21, May 11, 2:51am
Altzheimers is a bitch :-)

richardmayes, May 11, 3:03am
You seem to be pretty onto it in eliminating suspension faults, so maybe it's not one of those!

Is there a reasonably long, sweeping right-hand bend somewhere along your wife's usual route, that she is in the habit of carving up pretty fast!

I ask this because I saw a couple of Ipsums parked in the street at lunchtime today and it made me remember this thread; they are pretty big cars with seemingly quite tall, skinny tyres on quite high suspension, and with very little camber at all on the front wheels. It seems like some aggressive cornering could quite easily wear the outer edges of the tyres!

bubbles244, May 11, 3:10am
Ok for starters Excessive shoulder wear is a compounding issue. The more worn it becomes the faster it wears.

In this case it is called cupping, It is caused be worn shock absorbers or a bent strut forcing the wall and the should to take the brunt of the force when ever it its a pot hole or bump.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHEEL ALINEMENT

scuba, May 11, 3:17am
bubbles244 wrote:
Ok for starters Excessive shoulder wear is a compounding issue. The more worn it becomes the faster it wears.

In this case it is called cupping, It is caused be worn shock absorbers or a bent strut forcing the wall and the should to take the brunt of the force when ever it its a pot hole or bump.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHEEL ALINEMENT
[/quote

wrong

scuba, May 11, 3:27am
+1
If the w/alignment settings are within factory spec and there are no worn parts then kingfishers is the most common cause.
You can sometimes minimize the effects by increasing/adjusting tyre pressures or adjusting cambersettings .

bwg11, May 11, 3:43am
If wifey is the sole driver, perhaps she likes to be on the inside of the turn, or dislikes being on the outside (the low side with body roll). Maybe she is carefull on the left handers, and really hooks into the right handers!

fordcrzy, May 11, 5:42am
no you will have cos theta of 45 degrees if you turned it 60 degrees then youd have 7.5 degrees of angle to the road.at 45 degrees of turn youd be at bout 5 degrees from calculating it in my head.

i cannot beleive you "experts" dont understand this basic principle of angles and geometry

kingfisher21, May 11, 5:47am
I give up, you are dead wrong and if you came to my work I could show you in real time what happens to castor and camber measurements as you turn the steering wheel. REAL TIME, on a screen, not the way you are imagining it in your head. Have you EVER actually done a wheel alignment!

fordcrzy, May 11, 5:49am
i have calibrated hunter 500 and 600 seriesaligners so i have a really good idea how geometry works

mrfxit, May 11, 5:49am
This is really easy for the "experts" to prove either way.

Pop a vehicle on the alignment machine/ record the std settings & HAVE A PLAY.

Good grief "EXPERTS"how simple is THAT IDEA

kingfisher21, May 11, 5:51am
Operating and calibrating are two different things, the installer that just did our Hunter Hawkeye wouldn't have a clue how to do an actual alignment and understand the measurements.

skin1235, May 11, 5:51am
whoa,
how long you been back dave!

welcome back anyway, I obviously missed the return

kingfisher21, May 11, 5:55am
I don't need to, I KNOW what happens.

mrfxit, May 11, 6:02am
IF you had never done the FULL experiment, then maybe you need too., you know, just for the heck of it/ challenge
Books & std settings can't teach everything., seen plenty of "experts/ pro's" get tripped up over the years

mrfxit, May 11, 6:03am
Ta, been lurking for a while now, counting up the "eye dee ten tea's"

fordcrzy, May 11, 6:06am
so at what angle would the wheel be to the road if you turned it 90 degrees then!your answer will be interesting