Diagnose my suspension fault.

Page 3 / 3
kingfisher21, May 11, 6:17am
Thats what I mean, done it, years ago, done it today as well and yup, just as I thought, nothing has changed.

kingfisher21, May 11, 6:24am
In a hypothetical way, with a geometrically perfect car with a zero scrub radius the answer is a great bit fat ZERO. Castor will alter but camber WILL NOT ALTER.

skin1235, May 11, 6:57am
so thats the hypothetical answer
now whats the realistic answer

been a while but doesn't the kpi increase camber and decrease caster as the kp turns back, opposite as it turns forward

fordcrzy, May 11, 6:58am
i never said CAMBER .i said at WHAT ANGLE TO THE ROAD SURFACE. and thats what i have said all along.
i dont give a rats about true camber and true castor.its the angle to the road that matters. and that angle to the road is what causes tyre wear.

snoopy221, May 11, 7:39am
Ya know it might be about time for ole ACKERMAN ta pop in and turn ya dam drop arm up the right way -so ya 18/22 is betta.
LMAO.
[Incedentaly- what wld ya need 15 degress of castor for!]
Personaly back in the gordam 80's we just used ta unpick the ole ecky sway bar and pull er up forrard-and redrill the ole lower arms-and with about 5 ta 7 positive caster-anda smidge-.1 negative camber on ya **fancy machines**-
Gor gimme the old dunlop camber/caster gauge and turntables mate.
Love ta see some of you fullas walk a valiant cam bolt setup just on the camber to get the caster right.

Next thing ya fullas will be sayin-ya set the left diferrent to the right ta allow for the camber of the crown of the road.

And STAY BACK FXIT. good ta see ya back.

Don't suck any more lemons.

kingfisher21, May 11, 7:41am
Yes, k, in a car with slightly negative camber and around 3 - 4 degrees of castor, if you make a right hand turn the left front wheel camber will go more negative, 1/4 degree to start with will go to around 1 degree at full lock.

snoopy221, May 11, 7:43am
Oh and for those that wanna play-take a falcon set it up on your machine.
drive it.
then remove the idler-and refit it upside down.
RECHECK it on ya machine. then road test it.

ole ackerman.ya see the car DOES turn 2 diferrent circles and if ya 18/22 is say 15 28 ya'll NEVER pick that up on amodern wheel alingment machine.
Yet turntables and voila.tis right before ya eyes.

kingfisher21, May 11, 7:43am
Was trying to stay out of that to save confusing some people even more, I set up V8 Utes and NZ V8's, run castor up around 15 degrees for some of these. Some BMW's run up around 12 - 13 degrees factory.

snoopy221, May 11, 7:45am
Oh no some houer is bringing in K P I and included angles as well as me ole ackerman.

snoopy221, May 11, 7:50am
Yeah it depends on EXACTLY where and how you want your footprint.
And as always when motor racing-there can only be ONE winner-tis the camber/castor K P I and included of the winner-and tyre pressures etc that might be a bit diferrent-thats racing.ain't it

mrfxit, May 11, 8:23am
Thanks Snoops ;-)

Did what turned out to be a good mod on a 72 Hunter I used to own.
Was understeering like *%$@ (as per std for those) & ripping tyres in a short time, so (with a obliging tech & gear) I slotted the top bolt holes to correct camber, packed the bottom suspension leg stays forward 1 full degree to alter caster & it was a heck of a lot better on tyres & cornering after that.

ceebee2, May 11, 8:34am
No matter how ya align a lemo-(dunlop lemans) it's still either a left or right lemon.

Totally agree.used to reject dozens of them.heaps of crap.

saki, May 11, 9:01am
Had the same tyre wear on my sub forester2 alignmentscouldnt find any probs second front left worn out. decided to get the tape measure out and havve a poke around in the rear suspension area, the short of it was that my left rear self leveling shock wasnt working correctly, fitted new kybs and standard height kink springs , pumped all tyres to 38psi swap tyres front to rear and diagonally, about every month or so check and measure and record wear and so far all is well.
I should have referrred back to my racing day s and gone to the rear earlier.

snoopy221, May 11, 11:44am
I should have referrred back to my racing day s and gone to the rear earlier./// pumped all tyres to 38psi

Understeer/oversteer.
Ah there's a LOT to be said for a WELL set up car and a controlled right foot situation. [Ain't there]

snoopy221, May 11, 11:50am
aye the **tip** here is have a DAMN GOOD LOOKIE AT YA TRYES.
And have a DAMN GOOD LOOKIE AT SOMFINK SIMLAR IN TREAD PATTERN THAT IS DIRECTIONAL.
Ya'll find that well.
lyk i said/wrote earlier when ya racing-and ya JUST can't set ya damn car up right.
and well AUSIES have the DAMN SAME PROBLEM.
Only one is a left prob and one is a right.
LEMONS.

[LEMON TYRES-Prototype for directionals and waaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy.s-
hyte ya gotta put em on the right way round.
]

snoopy221, May 11, 11:51am
ButwatwoodyIno!

sgt schultz.
NUFFINK