Flat battery

tawera_moeke, May 10, 8:51pm
after replacing an old car battery with a new one,this morning it was dead flat.As this was tested before i brought it could it be the alternator!

flat_white_ltd, May 10, 9:14pm
If the alternator is faulty, it won't charge the battery ( or sometimes over-charge)
.If the battery has DIS-charged overnight, ( assuming battery not faulty)you probably have a short-circuitin the wiring.
(didn't leave headlughts / interior light on, or anything obvious ! )

texastwo, May 10, 9:21pm
Was the alternator light showing!Also have you checked the battery terminal connections are on tight .got caught myself with this the other day. car had been in for service and battery had been disconnected and not put on securely

tawera_moeke, May 10, 9:26pm
thanks for your advice and will look into your suggestions

dunwoody, May 10, 9:51pm
Got cought like that A couple of weeks ago . Had let drivers door not closed for over a week and the alarm was alive . Started off jumper ,drove 11Ks turned off motor and wouldn;t restart.Calledthe AA got home and put the battery on charger, good as gold now. An alternator has difficulty with getting a charge into a dead flat battery.

mugenb20b, May 11, 2:50am
Where did you bring it from!

martin11, May 11, 4:36am
Alternators need voltage to excite them to start charging . The old generator would start without any voltage ,not may cars have them today

n1smo_gtir, May 11, 5:27am
speaking of batterys, i see repco, supercheap and the warehouse sells these lil tiny battery that you plug in cigarette lighter to jumpstart your car in emergency and they cost 50 bucks. the battery is about the size of 2 cigarette box put side by side. has anyone tried one and can report if they any good!

a18a, May 11, 6:32am
Jump start the car through the lighter! I doubt it would be for doing that. Maybe they're there to give the battery a bit of charge or keep the memory of your stereo and such while you change batteries or something! I can just imagine blowing a fuse/melting wires trying to start a car through the lighter socket lol