Toyota Allion - replacing radio/CD unit.

mrploppy, May 8, 11:11am
I have just bought a 2006 Toyota Allion (same as a Corona/Premio) and want to replace the factory radio/CD unit with a multmedia unit. Have found the unit, installation kit & wiring kit, but have been told that the car won't start if you remove the original unit. Also been offered a conversion module (in place of the radio) for about $1000. I am going to remove the radio/CD to see what happens, but wondered if anyone has come across this problem - apparently does not apply to other Toyota models, which seems a bit weird

a.woodrow, May 8, 11:20am
Who told you it won't start! I've worked for toyota for quite a few years and never heard of that. to be fair though didn't see many allions

trdbzr, May 8, 11:27am
I've never heard of this before. In some cars with Bose etc you will need a interface module if you change the headunit so it can work with the amp but they are cheap.

Either someone's been telling you porkies to sell you something more expensive or someone at Toyota must have been having a really bad day.

trdbzr, May 8, 11:31am
Even a google search does not bring up anything. If that was the case then there would have been people talking about it on forums and posting up possible solutions for it.

Who told you this about the headunit!

mrploppy, May 9, 12:00am
Thanks for your replies. Now the long story; I went to a local installer who was first advised of a problem when he was sourcing a trim kit - was told the radio unit could not be replaced (unspecified problem). Toyota had not heard of any problems, and a search of the internet did not find any cases either.I bought a multimedia system off TM, and when the vendor received the trim kit was"advised from our supplier that you are also going to require a module to make your car work afterwards. This is due to your vehcile having wiring go through your factory radio. If you remove your radio now the vehicle then it will not start/run. This extra module is expensive at cost of $800 + gst" (from the email). On this basis, the vendor offered to refund the purchase. However, I have now removed the radio unit completely from the car and driven around without any problems, so I have no idea what is going on, but I am going to install the multimedia unit as originally intended.

a.woodrow, May 9, 12:23am
Sounds like they were just looking to make a sale

mrploppy, May 9, 6:07am
As it turns out out, there are 4 connectors on the back panel. Two are standard radio plugs, it is the other two that are the problem, but because nothing is wired to them I can replace the radio without causing failures. Don't know what the other two are for, security system perhaps.

trdbzr, May 9, 10:31am
They were probably trying to make some extra $$$ off you since you did not buy the headunit from them and are not getting them to do the install.