CAR v SUV - opinions please

Page 2 / 4
gman35, May 30, 1:52am
Thankyou for your informative reply , that's what we are after , I guess you do enjoy driving and had suspension and/or wheels modded to make it handle better , and I assume you mean actually prefer DRIVING it to the sedans , rather than just the practicle storage and seating aspects etc !

esprit, May 30, 1:53am
Citation needed.

mopsy3, May 30, 2:03am
Yes, lowered it as we have done with almost every car we have owned. LOL. Have even had it at aFPV club drag day and it ran a not too shabby 13.8 second 1/4 mile just for fun. Putting quite a few sedans to shame. Much shame being beaten by a chick in a truck.

mopsy3, May 30, 2:04am
I am guessing you mean certification. What is your point!

sifty, May 30, 2:05am
To be fair you should compare the modified truck to a similarly modified sedan, and THEN compare handling etc.

gman35, May 30, 2:14am
So it's the practicality aspect that is certainly (and rightly) popular from replies so far , but apart from a couple there is not alot of mention aboutnoticing handling differences , ie. much prefer it's ride to a car / hate handling compared to car but bought it for family / or it is just a company car etc. It does indeed seem that there are few "driving enthusiasts" that care to offer any dynamic comment compared to their previous vehicles so far !

bwg11, May 30, 2:16am
I think we must allow some freedom of choice before becoming hyper-critical of the vehicles others choose to drive. If the handling and "driving experience" is the sole crteria, lets for example ban all small cars other than the MINI or Swift Sport. I drive an SUV, a Swift, and a classic mini, they all have their place and purpose.,

gman35, May 30, 2:16am
So its an FPV Territory turbo or a BMW X5 v8 !

mopsy3, May 30, 2:16am
I did.
Here:
have a vehicle modified to suit but have had sedans with the same sort of mods and I would still prefer it over all of them.
and here:
lowered it as we have done with almost every car we have owned.

mopsy3, May 30, 2:19am
Not an FPV one, just a Turbo with a chip.We have just chipped a customers FPV Territory and the thing is insane. Miss my V8's and would love an X5 but that is a whole different price category altogehter.

bwg11, May 30, 2:19am
I thought only pimps and drug dealers lowered and body kitted SUV's. In most cases they have inadequate clearance stock.

tazcsv, May 30, 2:20am
You dont buy a suv thinking it will drive like acar, you buy an suv thinking it will drive like a suv. My Landcruiser is a shade under 3ton so i dont drive it like my gtb legacy.

bellky, May 30, 2:20am
No.

We've 4 cars here and only one is a 4wd - and that's the one we use most. Why!
Just pull out in front of me and you'll find out.

mopsy3, May 30, 2:23am
Did I mention a bodykit! And as for inadequate clearance, now it is you is is uninformed.

gman35, May 30, 2:31am
Ha , no not being hyper-critical and it would be a boring world if we all drove Ferraris etc I guess ! , but I can feel the dynamic disadvantage of a taller (& usually larger vehicle) and miss the connected to road feel of a nice car when I do drive one (admittedly the modern expensive Euro SUV's are probably good). So am interested as to how many drivers either do not seem to notice, or are just happy to put up with often pretty sloppy handling & refinement (especially in older 4wd's) in their often everyday vehicle which I just couldn't.

sifty, May 30, 2:39am
*I must read before posting*
*I must read before posting*
"
(x100)

bwg11, May 30, 2:40am
I do know a standard Territory has marginal clearance off-road, so I fail to see how a lowered one can be adequate. By the way, mopys3, check citation in your dictionary

mopsy3, May 30, 2:46am
I agree. In our business I get to drive alot of different vehicles and I get into SUV's with a vested interest. Most, I could not and would not drive as they are simply pigs to put it mildly. Personally, I agree, people that drive mid range SUVs are probably not 'drivers' for want of a better description. they probably look at the SUV as a means to getting from A to B and fulfilling whatever needs they may have for them.Although I love mine I would soon have tired of it had it been left with original specs as i cant abide a wallowy, sluggish vehicle, although in the bigger sedan range it is hard to avoid the wallowing in the mid range vehicles as well.Not many people know what they are missing as far as handling goes though either. they just accept the ride and that is it. My mother for instance prefers to drive their Toyota Harrier over their late model Mazda 6. Now that I cannot fathom but there you go.

mopsy3, May 30, 2:46am
you are naughty. Go to the back of the class.

esprit, May 30, 2:48am
No, I mean "citation" . look it up. You state the fact that your SUV handles better than most large cars, I was asking for a citation to prove this fact. You might THINK it does, but I doubt it actually does. I'm guessing from what you've said, you have a Territory Turbo. you could throw 50g of suspension at one of them and it'd still struggle to handle very well. Just chucking some lowering springs and new shocks at a car doesn't suddenly make it handle better.

mopsy3, May 30, 2:50am
So again. What is your point! Please make it as I am missing it and would love to know it. I am not sure what you want me to prove.

mopsy3, May 30, 2:54am
Just shows you dont know everything after all huh!

gman35, May 30, 3:03am
Thankyou again , you at least get what I mean. I will leave you with poster "esprit" to deal with now.

kazbanz, May 30, 3:04am
why do people buy suv's ! -(ignoring those with a genuine need)
Because they can.
You could ask the same question about why do people buy rediculously low sports cars that barely clear small judder bars.
and with the self same response.

mopsy3, May 30, 3:44am
I answered your questions in regards to me. i do not have to 'prove' anything to esprit. My husband thought exactly the same as him when we bought the Territory. But he proved himself wrong by doing the work that he did. Unless he saw/drove it himself he never would have believed it. Esprit can think what he likes, it's what he doesn't know that counts.