CAR v SUV - opinions please

Page 3 / 4
richardmayes, May 30, 3:58am
Oh dear.

Anything can be made to go around corners after a fashion if you fit firm enough suspension and big enough tyres onto it. And it certainly helps if you have enough power to physically push it out of the far side.

Forum user 'Esprit' owns a Lotus Exige. And he has circuit raced an E-Type Jaguar. He is well qualified to comment on the handling qualities of road vehicles.

[And if he is saying that a large SUV can be made to handle "WELL", but not AS WELL AS a good sports car with minimal weight, near-ideal distribution of that weight and a low centre of gravity, he is probably quite correct IMHO. ]

I don't know if this is really what the thread is all about though.!

timmo1, May 30, 4:57am
Because it brakes better! Handles better!

smac, May 30, 5:00am
You've hit the nail on the head there my friend.this thread isn't actually ABOUT anything. It's simply a few musings from somebody who is really struggling with the concept that others may have opinions or priorities different from their own.

mudguts2, May 30, 5:02am
we have just sold our nissan turbo diesel and bought a mitsi.
i thought it would be cheaper to run and upkeep but even though it is comfortable to travel in i would far rather have the nissan any day.
easier to get in and out of.
had heaps of power.
looking down on idiots that cant drive properly.
so no a car is not always the answer.

bellky, May 30, 5:07am
Really it's because it's big and heavy and I feel safe in it. It'll take the dog, and the shopping, while towing a trailer, and all while sitting up high, in air conditioned leather seated sterio'd comfort. Can't beat it. But it doesn't brake or handle better.

msigg, May 30, 5:12am
One thing I notice when driving a big SUV is that if you are stuck in traffic, (alot of the time in auckland)then the vision from the higher vehicle is so much better (obviously) than sitting on the ground behine another vehicle and having no outlook, its like your trapped.

foxdonut, May 30, 5:14am
They wouldn't in my eye.

SUV's are for retards mostly. Or people that have a boat / horse float / braked trailer etc

gman35, May 30, 5:25am
Not really ,just wondering what others opinions are because most people do not seem to even discuss modern vehicles anymore. At parties etc very often people talk pationately (sp) about houses, wether it be design,colours,flooring,heatin-
g types etc etc. But we don't seem to talk about design or features of cars that much , when we actually spend so much time in and using them. For many they are now just an appliance I guess , is it because we can't work on them ourselves any more ! , but where are the enthusiasts , surely we cant just talk about the old classics all the time.

yendor, May 30, 5:35am
Just pull out in front of me and you'll find out

Unfortunately this is the sort of retarded attitude a lot of SUV drivers have.

esprit, May 30, 5:55am
Exactly. People claim SUVs are safer in an accident, which is true if you hit something smaller AND if you don't roll-over (which is a likelihood). As I always say, I'd rather narrowly avoid an accident in a small, nimble hatchback than have an accident in an SUV :)

taipan4, May 30, 6:01am
Fendalton , Remuera tractors90% of which never get used in 4WD they don't go round corners that well & fall over because of their high center of gravity

foxdonut, May 30, 6:11am
Go to more parties that have men at them!

dvince, May 30, 6:13am
Very annoying being stuck behind a SUV in traffic, for this very reason.

gman35, May 30, 6:22am
Yeah but most of the guys at my "Out" club ride a bike !Just joking , even mates at pub don't really know jack all. Apart from the usual "My Holden is the best car ever made , what do you mean there are now 4speed auto's !".

stevo2, May 30, 6:23am
I've had a few 4WD SUVs when I used to run Jet Boats because I needed 4WD but I sold my last one (Explorer) a week after selling my last boat.
They have their purpose, if you want to get from A to B they are fine but if you are a "DRIVER" then they are a POS.

klrider, May 30, 7:40am
Poor you, I traded a commodore wagon for a territory Ghia. Drives great, big, comfortable, plenty of power, every extra you could think of, easy for kids in and out, great choice of the seven seats when needed, good visability, handles well (its not a ferrari, and I dont use it on club days), tows the boat, tons of storage. Its my choice, Ill promise not to judge you if you can just take the SUV chip off your shoulder.

klrider, May 30, 7:52am
generally, my previous sedans have handled better than my territory. But, the territory has it all over the sedan because of current requirements. In saying that, I am still surprised how nice the territory is on the open road, and on a long trip its like taking your lounge with you. Never been driving in it thinking I wish I was in a sedan.However, once the kids have gone burger, its back to a sedan for me, only another 16 years to go.

clark20, May 30, 8:25am
Well my sedan (V8 VE Calais) does 5.6s to 100 and 13.6 1/4s, and handles well with FE2 SS suspension, but I have my ass handed to me by my mates X5 M, with 408kw and 0-100 in 4.6s. Many just haven't driven the right SUV yet.

mgmad, May 30, 9:16am
Sure there are a few "SUVs" that handle well (even very well) on the road, X5, Cayenne etc, but compare them to their equivalent sedan/wagon and they're never going to perform quite as good. In the case of the X5, compare it to a similarly engined and equipped 5 series touring,the wagon will use slightly less fuel, accelerate slightly faster and will handle better, due to the lower total weight andlower CoG. Most of that might not really worry the average X5 (etc) buyer as the car probably still performs more than adequately for them. But there are plenty more SUVs that don't handle nearly as well as an equivalent car, and is an argument that has been done to death.

I also don't really buy into needing an SUV for towing, give me a big sedan any day, much more comfortable to tow with, and will, 99% of the time, be more engaging to drive when not towing.

mopsy3, May 30, 9:29am
Richardmayes #52 Nowhere in this thread was an SUV compared to a sports car much less a Lotus. iIf it was feel free to point it out.

roys351, May 30, 10:10am
we have a 3l turbo diesel hiace and a xg falcon s ute as our every day cars the falcon drives like a car and proberly handles as good .neither have had any mods. the hiace has good power heaps of room is higher than most suv;s has more room than most if not all suv;s 2 wd so tyres last longer and is easier to load kids gear and their mates in i would only consider a 4wd if i needed 4wd often. ute has lsd and dosent get stuck if you know how to drive and where not to drive .i dont like to drive the hiace as it handles as all high centre of gravity vehicles do. ive had suvs before but only because i needed a 4wd .the real question is practical or poser

roys351, May 30, 10:23am
is it sporting utility vehicle or suburban utility vehicle!

asa50, May 30, 11:02am
Many people use various reasons to justify getting a SUV when often another type of vehicle does the task as well or even better.
I spent a few months in SUV's last year, when I ended up with a bog standard Mazda 3 rental, mother of god was it fun in the corners!
Attached link is an example of having cakes and eating it too
http://jalopnik.com/5914011/use-a-porsche-to-tow-a-boat

petal_91, May 30, 5:02pm
I dispute your assertion that a modern SUV cannot handle as well as a car OP. With the help of active suspension technology it can.

For example the Porsche Cayenne has active suspension equipment, including adjustable air suspension, Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC), and Porsche Active Stability Management (PASM). PDCC uses the car's sway bars to actively counter body roll, while PASM provides active damping power to the car's shocks. Also, the air suspension lets you set the ride height. With this technology the Cayenne can easily outhandle your Mazda6 rep-mobile.

gman35, May 30, 8:17pm
Yes , the Cayenne is very very good chassis-wise I believe , but are not seeing too many people in NZ driving one , so am really asking either the older Prado/Surf or newer SantaFE/Territory owner , whose vehicles willnot outhandle a 6/Mondeo/Accord etc.