CAR v SUV - opinions please

Page 1 / 4
gman35, May 29, 10:15pm
Have many drivers simply forgotten how nicely a good sedan/hatch/wagon with a nice petrol engine drives, and are now seemingly happy to drive either old diesel 4wd's (which are just dogs on the road) or even new "SUV's" which by their very design just cannot be quite as good as a sedan/wagon/hatch (CAR) to drive (handling,accuracy of steering). I know petrol isn't getting any cheaper (althought the amount of 6/8cyl Commodores/Falcons still on our roads appears to dispute this), but even Diesel is not as cheap as it was. Is it just the "practicality" of higher rear loading,6or7 seating,higher driving position etc. I know if I was a company rep. doing much open-road driving especially I would not be keen swapping my good handling Mazda 6 or Mondeo (maybe with the turbo diesel) for a SantaFe/i35/Captiva etc etc. Am I missing something apart from the odd-4wd benefit !

tonyrockyhorror, May 29, 10:41pm
Nope. You've summed it up pretty well.

tim41, May 29, 11:06pm
maybe people just like driving what they like,dont let it worry to you.

esprit, May 29, 11:11pm
People like to be higher than others in city traffic and look down on them. Plenty of women drive SUVs for this reason.

I'd ferry my family around in a sedan/wagon LONG before I looked at an MPV/SUV. So much more agile on the road, your chances of avoiding an accident in one are so much higher.

timmo1, May 29, 11:20pm
.Since this is a motoring board where, it is assumed that readers/posters know a bit about cars, you will likely get agreement with your post.it's the people that don't really understand cars that will choose a SUV over a car (note: I don't mean people that genuinely need a SUV for towing etc, I mean people whose needs would be met with a car/wagon but who don't buy one because of the perceived 'safety' of an SUV)

Certainly from my perspective, I find SUVs lumbering, slow, poor riding and dull.

tazcsv, May 29, 11:21pm
I drive a gtb legacy wagon and like it for its power and handling but also have avx landcruiser i like driving for its height and grunt.
My wife was run into inthe cruiser with the dogs and kids in the back and it held up well but had she of been in the subaru it may have been a different story.
Would be hard to choose between them if i could only have one.

shelleigh, May 29, 11:22pm
I considered getting an Escape because I wanted to be sitting up higher.
Then after much appreciated advice on here, I decided to get another small wagon (I had a '96 Corolla wagon).
But last month I saw a 2012 Fiesta, took it for a test drive and bought it that afternoon - and I LOVE it. Is suprising how much room is in the back for a little hatch!
I wonder how many people, especially women, have an SUV because it's "fasionable".

gman35, May 29, 11:22pm
Not worrying me , as I posted , am just interested as to how people explain their choice , as surely at least a bit of thought has gone into a reasonably large $ purchase , Yet I think the "enjoyment or appreciation" of driving now doesn't rate that highly for some reason.

gman35, May 30, 12:01am
Just to point out as far as my own experience with anything SUVish goes , I have driven an older Nissan Mistral 3sp auto and the slow-shifting 3sp auto,engine performance (none) and roadholding (disturbing) made me want to park up and walk after about 300mtrs. A 2011 v8 diesel Landcruiser (tons of torque but wallowed and steering feel wasn't top of the list, as rightly expected for a good big off-roader).Also a Ford Territory and Holden Captiva , and while they were "car-like compared to many other recent models" as the road testers say , I still wouldn't swap a similar value car for one.

richardmayes, May 30, 12:10am
My boss had a Territory Ghia for a while - not my cup of tea, but it was a nice enough thing to drive around in. I can see why this type of vehicle appeals to some people who aren't bothered by the price of petrol and aren't really interested in driving.

I wouldn't own an SUV because like the OP I'd rather be close to the ground and driving something that handles like a car. But that doesn't mean that is the ONLY way to get around.

sifty, May 30, 12:16am
sheilas want them becasue other sheilas have them.

it really is that simple

nightboss, May 30, 12:23am
So you are telling me that SUV's are the new MX-5's.

Oh-no, the motorways are full of hairdressers.

smac, May 30, 12:36am
I don't have an SUV, nor am I about to get one, however just one observation: those who write off modern SUV's as remuera tractors and their owners as.uninformed.are often displaying their own ignorance.

Many of the SUV's listed above will get better economy, better resale, better handling, and better bang for buck than the sedan's listed as the preferred alternatives.

By all means you can prefer a sedan or wagon, but do your homework when it comes to the reasons. The old one's just aren't relevant any more.

gman35, May 30, 12:37am
I do fail to understand why they are seen to some as a "status symbol" , is it the high-up position and pure size of some !. I mean some "status symbols" like MX5's ARE a great small convertible , I-phones ARE (apparently) quite good , Omega or Rolex ARE generally good looking and well-made watches etc , but for general driving on road where is an SUV actually better than their last car !

richardmayes, May 30, 12:43am
*Headroom is usually better in an SUV

*Legroom is usually better in an SUV

*Boot space is usually better in an SUV (especially the ability to stack another layer of stuff on top of other stuff)

*The ability to see past the car in front and see what is happening in traffic further ahead is better in an SUV.

* A sense of increased safety from having a lot of body/steel around you.

smac, May 30, 12:49am
Now you're into personal opinion on aesthetics etc. You may as well ask people to explain why they like blue clothespegs over green.

Some sedans, wagons and SUV's are good looking (to me). Some are ugly. I certainly don't lump all of any type into some good/ugly category simply because of body type.

gman35, May 30, 1:00am
I understand those things , but I was just comparing DRIVING enjoyment that an equiv. value car must give (the sense of more nimble handling , poss. better steering feel etc) to a higher riding , usually heavier vehicle .

gman35, May 30, 1:12am
I am not trying to argue here , but am just saying re : most"status symbols" , they either were the "original" , or actually are better than other brand options. In the case of an MX5 , most will agree $ for $ that the owner has bought the best small 2dr. A $2000 Rolex does just look expensive & desirable . But why would a (used) $40k BMW X5 owner bethought of higher than a $40k M5 driver !

smac, May 30, 1:12am
What SUV's have you driven! (serious question)

Many motoring journo's frequently rate the drive and handling of SUV's over some pretty mainstream cars.

gman35, May 30, 1:29am
see #9 (Yes , I know the Mistral will not count)

gman35, May 30, 1:35am
I am just wanting to hear from actual SUV owners here , who have some car-driving experience , as to how they find driving one compared to a car. Does the lower-type vehicle dynamics that I like (which a higher-riding vehicle , even if it has low profile tyres, ultimately cannot give) that they may have enjoyed in a quality sedan or sporty hatchback etc previously ,just not matter to them anymore !

mopsy3, May 30, 1:42am
After driving my SUV for 2 years I would never go back to a sedan. It has had aftermarket work admittedly but at the moment in its price range there is nothing that I would swap it for. It meets all of my needs as far as dogs, children, shopping, holidays etc where as a sedan simply doesn't meet them. I do not see it as a status symbol, in fact if people ask I am always aware that people view them with disdain for their own reasons. it handles better than most large cars (albeit with modification), it out performs most sedans in its similar class (again with mods), it is easily as comfortable and easy to drive as sedans in similar class and there is nothing on the market in its price range that would replace it. I am lucky to be in a business and position to be able to have a vehicle modified to suit but have had sedans with the same sort of mods and I would still prefer it over all of them. Each to their own. If people dont like SUV's they have a choice and dont need to drive them. But why make out that the ones that do are uninformed!

gizmsme, May 30, 1:47am
I own a couple of SUV'S and a few cars, albeit older cars. I got into SUV'S for carting kids, good room to fit them in in car seats, good room to separate them when they fight.Plenty of space to cart their mates and our gear and withbeing higher opens up a world of scenery often missed in the "average car".The speed limit is 100kph, fuels expensive so driving above the limit can be expensive, i'm yet to drive any SUV that cant be driven on the open road and stay up with normal traffic flow.

sifty, May 30, 1:50am
I just hate the phrase SUV.

What exactly is 'sporting' about these things, unless the sport involved is darts.

knobnail1, May 30, 1:50am
We drive a 2012 ford territory , its the new diesel model, way better than our 2010 d/cab hilux, and the reason we went to it is when we go away with our 2 kids we can take the kitchen sink and everything else that you want and its also as cheap to runas our hilux that was diesel, we dont plan on breaking land speed records , and we are happy with it. If we could get away with a car or station wagon we would,ve , but i enjoy motocross and need something that can pull a trailor long distance in comfort, there you go !