Car suggestions.

kermit23, Jun 1, 10:21am
Our car just recently got written off in an accident so we are in the market for another car. Looking for a wagon, or something to carry the kids and their stuff around. Want something post 2002 ideally and also not looking to spend much more than 10k if we can avoid it!.So, suggestions/experiences.!

mugenb20b, Jun 1, 10:33am
Have a look at a Mazda 6 S/W, they are good, reliable and nice to drive. If you can consider a large sedan, have a look at a Toyota Camry with a 2.4 litre engine (not the V6). These are the cars that I would look at, even though they may not suit your needs. However, whatever you find, get it checked out by a reputable garage.

intrade, Jun 1, 10:38am
yup camry be what to get. you might have to spend a few$ on them to repair oil leaks but parts are cheap. I resealed a 2.2 all seal but the cilinder headand parts where about 1200$ that includs timing belt and clutch-kit and all seals on both side of engine and top. They do like to leak on oilpump. also 2,2 is non interfearance so you can drive em till the cambelt snaps if you got no money to do that side of the engine engine is 5s-fe

mugenb20b, Jun 1, 10:38am
No Intrade, I was reffering to the next model up. The one with a 2.4 litre chain drive motor.

andy61, Jun 1, 10:58am
Depending on what size car you want ,A Toyota Corolla Fielder would be an ideal wagon to look at.Roomy reliable,reasonably powerful in the 1800 version and easy on gas.

franc123, Jun 1, 11:13am
I'd consider a Mondeo, contrary to popular belief there isn't anything really wrong with them in the year range you are looking at. Don't be one of the Mondeo snubbing sheep and line up to pay twice as much for a Mazda6/Atenza without realising that they are mechanically almost the same vehicle. The more sophisticated suspension of the Mazda doesn't really make for much better handling than the simpler setup in the Ford either. A post '03 manual model is ideal.

franc123, Jun 1, 11:13am
I'd consider a Mondeo, contrary to popular belief there isn't anything really wrong with them. Don't be one of the Mondeo snubbing sheep and line up to pay twice as much for a Mazda6/Atenza without realising that they are mechanically almost the same vehicle. A post '03 manual model is ideal.

meyer, Jun 1, 11:34am
I would have a look at the Accord wagon for that price. It has a lot of room and is cheaper than the Atenza, Camry and possibly the newer fielders. You could get a Mondeo wagon 2002-2006 for probably under $8k but service history is key with these vehicles and avoid the Fords imported out of Singapore

kazbanz, Jun 1, 9:03pm
I think the OP would be pushing it to get either of these for 10k

kazbanz, Jun 1, 9:06pm
Kermitto help you can I ask some questions
What was the vehicle that was written off!
What about it did you like !
What about it did you dislike!
Would you prefer the same size/bigger /smaller!
For that matter would you buy a car exactly the same as your old one (pre crash)!

ryanm2, Jun 2, 6:44am
Im no car expert by any means but I have owned a few in my time. Currently driving an 2002 Ford Mondeo wagon. Its great, even though its an auto. Very roomy, well spec'd , cheap , seems to be pretty good on gas thus far , no compaints at all. I would certainly buy another.

trdbzr, Jun 2, 8:11am
For around $10k you should be able to pick up a decent new shape Wingroad

rovercitroen, Jun 2, 8:18am
Daughter and SIL just bought an excellent 2008 Mitsi Lancer wagon - NZ new, 129 km, ex rental 2.4 auto for 8.6k. ABS, 8 airbags. Drives nicely. Nice car and much better than the Corolla wagons we looked at for the same money.

grangies, Jun 2, 8:29am
There's a good chance the basic older Corolla for similar price to the 2008 Mitsi will still be all good in another ten years from now,and the Lancer will be worn out .

kermit23, Jun 2, 8:38am
Our written off car was a Nissan Cefiro 97 - we liked it, was really reliable and drove well. Thanks for the suggestions, some of those makes/models I've had a look at and have added to the list.

rovercitroen, Jun 2, 8:51am
Why! Late model Mitsi's should be fine for longevity IF maintained correctly.

grangies, Jun 2, 8:53am
The motors well may be fine and go and go and go,,,,,

But the bodies wont.