Suggestions for starting a car from storage

y4kas, May 26, 6:09am
Have been given an old 1500Mirage/Colt that was driven into a shed three years ago and left. It starts, idles, and then dies.peddling the gas pedal makes little difference however every so often allows you to rev the motor for a few seconds and then it dies again.I added so fresh gas into the tank to the 2/3 tank that was there. suggestions anyone!

unbeatabull, May 26, 6:11am
Sounds like Fuel issue, either at the pump or Carburettor blocked.

mrmann, May 26, 6:38am
Fuel pump rubber is dry or perished

snoopy221, May 26, 6:47am
driven into a shed three years ago and leftthe 2/3 tank that was there

I added so fresh gas into the tank to the 2/3 tank that was there. suggestions anyone!

Metal tank 3 years condensation=water=
It starts, idles, and then dies. peddling the gas pedal makes little difference however every so often allows you to rev the motor for a few seconds and then it dies again.

Litre of meths added to fuel tank. a bit of patience and when it runs long enough to come right it will.K

snoopy221, May 26, 6:48am
Methylated Spirits(meths) has the ability to hydrolise water allowing it to be burnt in an internal combustion engine.

msigg, May 26, 6:55am
Yes snoopy is correct, the rubbers will be a bit buggered maybe!just keep her going and it should eventually run ok

skittles93, May 26, 7:21am
Yeah 3 year old fuel willbe off anyway. No point adding new gas to the old. Same thing happened to me, drain the fuel and flush the lines and empty the carb and fill her up with new gas! But try meths first as snoopy suggested :)

y4kas, May 27, 5:49am
Absolutely brillient guys - thank you, 1 litre of meths later (plus lots of cranking thanks to a battery from a diesel) the car is running.Car runs happily with the accelerator depressed, revs happily, but won't idle without assistance and won't drive when put into gear - it stalls out.My thoughts from your earlier comments is that the fuel is stale, would the next step be to drain it and start again!Thank you.