3.4 v6 surf/prado motors?

chopssuzi, May 25, 9:21pm
Whats peoples views on these motors! I know the 3.0 v6 earlier motors weren't the greatest but haven't heard about the later 3.4s. How many kms do these motors get with reg servicing etc! Any known common faults! Cheers

ralphdog1, May 25, 9:55pm
It's the same old story, maintained properly (esp cooling systems) and they are fine.
I do not believe they suffer from the head gasket issues that the 3.0 ones did.
Mine, 210k, burns no oil, runs as good as the day it was born, there are plenty 250k+ vehicles for sale here.

chopssuzi, May 26, 5:28am
Thanks for the feedback ralphdog1 I was originaly looking for a 3.0l diesel surf or prado but for less money the 3.4 v6's keep popping up and like the idea of no Road User Charges. I understand they will be more expensive at the pump but it seems overall running costs of petrol vs diesel doesn't seem to be alot of difference.

mrfxit, May 26, 10:42am
Not a lot of running costs difference as long as you DON'T go hanging a heavy trailer behind the petrol engine on a regular basis

It's the main point that most ppl miss when comparing between diesel & petrol options in the same body

franc123, May 26, 11:06am
Also pays to factor in the cost of replacement cylinder heads every now and then too doesn't it, that tips the balance back towards petrol a bit lol.

mrfxit, May 26, 11:26am
Only generally happens when you neglect the cooling system
Oddly enough, it happens on petrol engines as well.

ralphdog1, May 26, 12:20pm
I do less than 10k a year with a 3.4 Surf, most of it towing either a 1800kg boat or a double horse float, and by the time you factor in everything do not believe it is any dearer than a diesel.
Unladen open road get 11-12l/100k
Towing 15-17l/100km
Think about purchase price and consequent depreciation, fuel, maintenance, licensing and for the distance I do petrol is the answer.
My previous was a 60 series Landcrusier, also a petrol, and over the 6 years I owned it I estimate the depreciation alone was about $1000 a year less than a diesel one would have been.
What you do have to get your head around is going into the gas station and spending $150 on a fill, it is then that you have to remind yourself of the bigger picture. If I was going to do more than 10k a year diesel would start to feature in my thinking.

mrfxit, May 26, 10:46pm
Yep Ralhpdog1 . theres a whole lot of variables to consider.
I have an 88 - 2.4T manual Surf & some years I do under 10K & some years do over 15K.
Sometimes I need .
The space
The 4x4 system
The height
The general solidness of the vehicle
Towing ability's
Helps that I can do most of the maintenance myself

& a few weeks ago, the alloy bullbar save me from a lot of damage as an idiot "shot the gap"(last moment hoofed it from BEHIND ME) cutting me off on an intersection exit