Dual engine car question

Page 1 / 2
peacebird15, May 23, 9:37am
If you put 2 identical engines in a car front and back. You used a MR2 4age engine in the rear and a 4age from a fxgt in the front each its own gearbox. Obviously to make the car 4wd and have pretty good take off.
If both gearboxes were autos and the gearing wasnt exactly the same (but pretty damn close) would theycause problems or damage for each other or would they play nice!

bikernutrr, May 23, 9:38am
Sounds like a nightmare.

unbeatabull, May 23, 9:41am
When we ran dual engines in Karting you could do this, but you had to make sure both engines were still in there safe RPM ranges. One engine would obviously help a little down low and the other will help up top.

Practically though, it would be a waste of time.

roys351, May 23, 9:43am
i would expect them to fight each other into a pile of scrap metal . they would have to be in sinc so much that ya mite as well have a go at building a time machine

cuda.340, May 23, 9:45am
didn't someone do this in the late 90's with a mazda 323! i remember some dual engine pos at meremere one day as they tried to tune it.

foxdonut, May 23, 10:15am
Its not uncommon: http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=AQk-r3d9uMQ http://www.supercars.net/cars/3865.html

Edit - link wrong. Top Gear drove it once too.

foxdonut, May 23, 10:18am
Waste of time doing it these days as independent electric engines per wheel (a la 918RSR and the rumoured new Ferrari flagship car)are lighter and more efficient than two motors operating in sync fighting to see who has the better transmission.

sr2, May 23, 11:04am
There are many twin engine specials out there some even being driven for everyday transport! Just Google ???twin engine car??? and you??

gsimpson, May 23, 12:20pm
Citroen produced a twin engine 4WD 2CV the Sahara
http://www.difflock.com/diffmag/issue19/2cvsahara/index.shtml
"Car no. 0001 allegedly exists in New Zealand and is owned by a retired Air New Zealand captain"

countrypete, May 23, 8:22pm
Monster Tajima built a twin-engine Suzuki Baleno for the Queenstown Race to the Sky a few years back, and also ran it at Pikes Peak.It was blisteringly fast, but never finished as it had continual overheating problems with the rear engine.I think the rear was manual trans and the front was auto, but I could be wrong about that.

martin11, May 23, 8:26pm
John Cooper made a mini twin years ago and nearly killed himself in it . The is one I know off in Aus that is actually road legal there . Both had major problems doing it but not impossible
In the late 60's there was one in chch owned by my flat mate Ron do not know what happened to it but it was fun .
Problem these days will be getting it a Cert if you want it road legal

thewomble1, May 24, 12:00pm
The engine at the back needs to be run at at less horsepower otherwise when cornering it will tend to push the car straight ahead. The front motor will pull thecar round the corner. There was a mini fitted with 2 engines and the rear engine was run at about 80% of the front one otherwise the car would not turn corners.

pollymay, May 24, 1:20pm
YES! That thing was a pile lol. I remember it well

It's a nightmare, I just had a conversation with one idiot about this that had no clue. I will tell you right now, it will break. You have 2 motors, twice as much to go wrong. The 4age is over 20 years old, they break a lot. You add weight, throw off the brake balance.Did I mention it will break!

Read this

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-goodbad-idea-of-the-week-twin-engined-toyota-mr2corolla/

I'll mention those auto transmissions are HORRIBLE, they are so bad. Words do not describe, it feels like 90% trans loss on the things and they can't shift to save themselves. You can make an mr2 quick very cheap by dropping a turbo caldina motor in or an mr2 turbo motor, alloy camry V6 etc It'll go like a raped ape, messing with 2 engines is just asking for trouble unless you intend to pour good money into a decent setup

foxdonut, May 24, 1:35pm
That interior is awesome.

I would drive that car.

a18a, May 24, 3:20pm
jesus that looks like it would be fun to drive!, you have the best of all worlds! manual, auto, rwd, fwd, 4wd, 4cyl or 8cyl

nufix72, May 24, 5:59pm
It could be done but y would anybody!

serf407, May 24, 8:42pm
Golf ran a twin engine golf at Pikes Peak for Jochi Kleint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=ar0pAJ7eGT0
There was also a Scirocco.
Just two among many dual engine machines, the dual engine scrapers are supposed to be the go.

fiatracer, May 24, 11:26pm
I've driven a twin engine Mini - with [get this] and 850 at one end and a 1275 t'other !

mugenb20b, May 24, 11:46pm
OMG that MRolla is a nightmare.however an interesting comment was made about the car: "It's like driving a very powerful Civic with two fat guys sitting in the back".

rob_man, May 25, 12:19am
I believe the Unsers turned up at Pikes Peak one year with a Toronado running two 455 Olds engines east-west as per original with the extra one in the boot driving the rear.
I don't recall whether it broke records or was left on the trailer after scrutineering.

lookoutas, May 25, 8:47pm
Had plans of doing a Laser/323 years ago - before they got all stupid and made rules to stuff us Gyro's up. Had all the bits - just needed to waste a heap of time.
I had manuals, so that would've been a pain getting the gear change to synchronize, and that was something causing me to see sense. But a couple of autos would be the way to go.

martin11, May 25, 9:13pm
I have doubts you could get your autos changing and in sinc all the time

rob_man, May 25, 10:08pm
Maybe not precisely but as one changed it would take the load off the other one and make it go out in sympathy.

martin11, May 25, 10:21pm
Be very interesting handling then ,probably on the verge of dangerous

rob_man, May 25, 10:39pm
I was thinking the same thing, having one of them change up or down halfway through a corner could have dire consequences. Two ECTs linked electronically and changed manually would be a better idea.