Is anyone going to want the old cars?

Page 3 / 4
toyboy3, Jun 15, 5:26am
I think any car with an ignition key is modern

rob_man, Jun 15, 5:29am
Self starters were the turning point.

singing1, Jun 15, 5:37am
Ok Here is an example.I have a mate who is 65 years old.he loves Model Ts and Model A fords and would give his left nut for a tidy one while another mate, 55 yearsold, reckons a Nice Mk 2 Zephyr is the bees knees. Is a young guy who is now say 16years going to want the Model A.I doubt it. He would probably rather a RX3 Mazda or later even.

singing1, Jun 15, 5:39am
The same seems to be going for motorbikes too. The veterans, I reckon, will start to lose their value soon.

tractor9, Jun 15, 5:54am
Yep, a Vincent Black Shadow or an HRD Rapide for a couple of grand sounds great. Can't wait !

flat_white_ltd, Jun 15, 7:47am
"Is anyone going to want the old cars!"
it's an interesting question.
.once all of us in the 45-60 age group, for example, are no longer driving ( or breathing )
.will it matter what the "value" is of the cars that we yearned after as younsgters .noone will ever be alive again that grew up wishing they had the current new GTRXU1, corvette, or TR6, or whatever.
(which is essentiallly what fuels the "classic" market )
.Should they be preserved for posterity anyway! -farqing-A they should,
.but does it matter, in the greater scheme of things, that practically noone now drives them at this future point !
.As for collectors for $$$ gain/investment only,. then like all commodities, shares, properties, etc. the assets change value, & the prudent "investor" will ( or should )roll with that, .unless money no object.

lovemore_mbigi, Jun 15, 7:48pm
A "classic" is normally a vehicle someone aged over 50 remembers with affection from the time when when they were about 10 years old.

pfemstn, Jun 15, 8:00pm
well i reckon you have all got it wrong! a few years back some folks were thinking the same,but what happened when Te Puke auto barn sold up! prices were really high ! veteran cars or any approaching 100yr old are fetching a fortune! good vintage cars are fetching good prices two,so obviously there is a demand, however the classics from the 60,s era are quite cheap at the moment.good cars will always sell for good money!

vjregal770, Jun 15, 8:57pm
I used to really enjoy Te Puke Autobarn.

neville48, Jun 15, 10:15pm
In the interim i would like to offer my property as a place to dispose of all those "unwanted" vintage and/or classic cars, my phone number is in my advert for pickup and will travel all over to give my "FREE REMOVAL" service. The Minter, The Better is my motto. Thanks in advance

pfemstn, Jun 15, 11:23pm
yeah Neville cheers i will do the same! we would both me millonaires within a decade!

trogedon, Jun 15, 11:28pm
Well, that's a subjective and effectively meaningless thing you've just typed.
Sadly I never got to the Autobarn. I would've love to have.

hotrodtodd1, Jun 16, 12:17am
The pommy stuff that the VCC types liked seem to have tanked, probably because the VCC is an aging organisation.

At the moment US stuff gets crazy prices because the next generation is still relatively heathy and still working and earning.

But a time will come when we are old and the next generation buyers will be looking for 70s and 80s turbo Jappas, and we will be in the same boat as the old VCC type are in now.

They kind of ignored us to their peril, and we are doing the same to the boy racer generation, to our peril in the future

flat_white_ltd, Jun 16, 12:36am
You make a couple of good points.
.Another point equally valid is ."Old" is not always the same as "Classic"
( most would agree, from previous threads)
.so. who's going to want the old cars ain't the same question as
"who's going to want the older, but still desirable, classics "

hotrodtodd1, Jun 16, 12:45am
Who is going to define "desirable classics" in the future tho! It wont be us, or our generation of restored 65/66 289 Mustang notchback owners.

It will be the people with access to the funds to buy what THEY define as a desirable classic. And it wont be old MGBGTs and it wont be old 289 Mustangs. Im picking their desirable classics will be Japanese first and foremost. Restored Corollas anyone!

mantagsi, Jun 16, 5:18am
I guess I would be considered of 'the younger generation', and drive a 1973 VW beetle as a daily driver. so simple it makes a welcome change from my last jappa, where every little maintenance job was a nightmare! Funny you say that about the old turbo jappas, I was in my beetle this morning and saw a first gen Pulsar X1 turbo, old '84-85 shape, and I realised that I see other beetles, old neat yank cars etc etc on an almost daily basis, but all the old turbo japs I bought, drove and sold about 10 - 15 years ago have just about completely disappeared! Even the very late 80's - early 90's high performance models are getting pretty bloody thin on the ground, especially in good nick. I'll be watching the market closely in 15 years to see what they are worth

xacoon, Jun 16, 8:33am
hmmm so according to this, my vehicle of choice I should be able to tune with a laptop, cant afford and have no interest in anything older than I am, and don't join car clubs because they are full of fuddy duddys.

iman007, Jun 16, 8:51am
hrt,i got a notchback, paid 18k approx 12 years ago, was valued last year at 50k by moorhouse muscle cars. I can tell you the mustang will never run out of favour,not even with youngins, i know , i get them asking me to take them for a spin.Mustangs rock!

iman007, Jun 16, 8:53am
oh, and both my kids REALLY want it, when i go, theres gunna be 1 bunfight around here

johnf_456, Jun 16, 8:53am
Second that, I have yet to find someone who can't admire those true mustangs.

iman007, Jun 16, 8:57am
WHAT!

we agree!lmao

johnf_456, Jun 16, 8:59am
We do indeed, would you like a chair to sit down on!

iman007, Jun 16, 9:02am
im me lazyboy now, cat at my feet enjoying the heater, on my laptop! quiet night, busy day moro

johnf_456, Jun 16, 9:06am
lol nice

singing1, Jun 19, 6:40am
I do agree that a 58 Corvette or maybe a Shelby Mustang is going to go the distance for a while but what about the early stuff!