Fog lights a no-no in clear conditions, day or nig

Page 3 / 3
smac, Jun 12, 11:33pm
Those ones, yes, except driving lights.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 12, 11:41pm
Nothing wrong with dipped beam lights during the daytime, but main beam does make it difficult to judge the distance and speed of the approaching vehicle. They might be closer than you think.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 12, 11:42pm
Yes, driving lights are a colloquial term. They're a main beam lamp.

gofer0007, Jun 14, 12:46am
Absolutely correct! I get a good laugh out of the TM listings for LED DRIVING LIGHTS being sold as SPOT LIGHTS.$22 cheap crap with no defraction lens is a spot light!Really.I blame Ebay and China.haha

headcat, Jun 14, 5:27am
And here was I thinking it was just a small penis size thing.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 14, 5:29am
Those things go hand-in-hand.

bigfatmat1, Jun 14, 8:19am
fog lights have a sharp cut off and wide beam to illuminate verges in poor conditions. Ie rain snow fog. must be wired to turn on position lamps or come on with position lamps must turn off with high beam Driving lamps are refeered to asa auxillary main beam lamps with a centre heavy light distribution with no glare control. These are connected to high beam and may beswitched .

bigfatmat1, Jun 14, 8:21am
I do notice imported cars the lamps are very rarely wired as above. I think they give it complience on the as long as it works bassis. We did have a patch about ten years ago where I was consistantly rewireing lights on imports to comply but does not seem to be like that anymore

sgrants, Jun 14, 8:25am
I don't have an issue generally with front fog lights they mostly seem adjusted correctly and no where near as blinding as rear fog lights, those muppets with the rear fog lights get my high beam up their rear sod them !

ema1, Jun 14, 10:10am
Interesting thing said here, I have a Corolla FX SJ in metallic Black color and the exact same thing happens to me, head lights off in daytime I get loads of folks not giving way to me .with head lights on in day time that problem goes away almost 100%.
Color of the car has a lot to do with it for sure.
My other cars are white and they get given away to no problems!
Goes to show that there's a lot to be said for having a high viz colored car for sure.
So I do condone the head lights on dipped thing during the day gets you noticed earlier no matter what color the car I'm driving is.
Fog lights I only use in dark if it's foggy or snowing, but if the fog is such that they fail to penetrate to any degree ( and that happens at times where I live in winter) I just don't take the risk .full stop.

craigsmith, Jun 15, 5:52am
They're not supposed to penetrate, just shine lower to avoid bouncing light back at you as much as possible, and to light up the road immediately in front of the car for slow careful driving in reduced visibility.

Outside of foggy conditions they can be terrible. To some extent it depends on the car and the set-up. A-holes in 4WDs are the worst simply because the lights are positioned higher and can be as bad as high beams. The WRX style lights that are intended for rally driving are next, damn things should be illegal.

But any fog light with its low and widespread beam can be dangerous simply because it is an undirected light that bounces a tremendous amount of glare off the road. All the worse in the wet.

I agree with the posters above complaining about the rear fog lights too. In the Euro cars that do it you have to explicitly turn them on too, it's not like you can do it by mistake. In my Mondeo you have to pull the light switch dial out two whole clicks. I've knocked on a few driver windows and told the f* heads to turn them off, and certainly wish the police would do more.

I wouldn't advise turning them on yourself "in revenge". Half the time the idiot behind you won't even know what they are, particularly if they're unfamiliar with your car type, and will probably just think you have your brake lights stuck on.

What was the OP talking about! Was there some police initiative reported or something!

craigsmith, Jun 15, 5:56am
The other reason fogs are a bad idea at night is that they illuminate the road close to the car. Normal headlights are designed to shine ahead and deliberately leave an unlit patch directly in front of the car. Something to do with the psychology of it; people feel safer and so drive faster and take risks when they perceive the road to be better lit - when actually their vision of the road ahead, the bit that matters, is not improved at all.

utwo, Jun 17, 9:12am
Those blinding fog lights on VX Commodores are actually non-compliant with lighting regulations. I remember reading about them on a forum years ago. No idea how they got past the aussie regulators. Just Googled it and found this: "An example of non-compliant "white optic" fog lights are those fitted to VX Holden Commodores. The lights themselves fail to bear the required markings for them to be classified as fog lights. They are by their nature driving lights, and are extremely dazzling to oncoming traffic. BUT, they are wired to run on the low beam by Holden. So technically ALL VX Commodore's fitted with fog lights are non-ADR compliant, and therefore unroadworthy."

Inappropriate use of rear fog lights is becoming really common. On my typical commute home from work, I'll find myself behind two or three different cars with their rear fogs on. Usually BMWs or Hyundais. I don't understand what goes through the drivers' heads! Do they get in the car and think, right, I have no idea what they're for, but let's just press all these buttons! Do they not notice the warning light on the dash that indicates the rear fog lights are on!

An even bigger problem I'm noticing is the number of drivers with no lights on at all in the city. No kidding, on my typical 40 minute commute home at night (when it's dark) I'll notice at least five or six oncoming cars that are completely unlit. I have a suspicion that many of them are newer cars with instrument clusters that are back-lit whether the lights are on or not, so if you're semi-retarded it would be easy to forget to turn your lights on.

gofer0007, Jun 17, 7:21pm
Haha thats a classic. Half wits will always walk amoungst us brutha!