Maximum tow ball weight for VE Commodore?

Page 1 / 2
monaro17, Jun 9, 7:32am
Does anyone know the maximum tow ball weight for a VE Commodore!

msigg, Jun 9, 8:41am
x1
50kg

clark20, Jun 9, 8:52am
My best bars Holden one says 160kg for manual and 210kg for Auto

monaro17, Jun 9, 9:36am
Cool thanks for that, I am getting a new caravan and I think the towball weight is only 80kg

supernova2, Jun 9, 9:39am
Why would the downforce be different fora manual or auto.Surely the down weight is what the bar and fixings to the body can carry or am I missing something!

monaro17, Jun 9, 9:41am
I assume that it would come from the old 10% of the total weight theory. The auto can haul 2100kg, the manual 1600kg!

NZTools, Jun 9, 9:42am
210 kg's of weight behind the rear bumper! how do you steer it! Wheel brakes!

monaro17, Jun 9, 9:43am
Yeh, 210kgs seems perhaps a bit steep, some websites are saying 150kg

smac, Jun 9, 10:01am
What the ball can physically put up with has little to do with what weight you would actually want there.

monaro17, Jun 9, 10:04am
True but I'm not talking about the ball weight as per. It's just the term to describe how much weight the rear end of the car can handle

NZTools, Jun 9, 10:08am
It has a lot more to do with how adversely it will effect the vehiclies handling. 210 kg,s of weight behind the rear bumper will make for very little weight on the front wheels. turning corners will not come easily to it with that weight on the back.

monaro17, Jun 9, 10:11am
Oh, I see. Yes that does make sense

smac, Jun 9, 10:11am
I don't see the difference. I don't see why you'd be putting more than maybe 60-80kg max downforce on the ball. The fact it is rated to 150kg or even 250kg is irrelevant. A car should tow (i.e. pull) a trailer, not carry it.

monaro17, Jun 9, 10:14am
I see where you're coming from exactly, however apparently it does. The more weight on the rear, the less contact the front of the car has and therefore less traction!

msigg, Jun 9, 10:17am
Yea too much wieght overhanging the arse will cause the front to rise and effect the braking as well, all you need to do is move something inside the caravan to the back/tie to lighten it up if required, 80kgs will be ok wouldn't go much more, no point.

monaro17, Jun 9, 10:19am
I quite agree. I suppose it's all down to how you load the caravan

NZTools, Jun 9, 10:19am
Remember how hard it was to steer yuor pushbike with someone sitting on the rear carrier! Your car doesnt like it either.

monaro17, Jun 9, 10:20am
haha good point

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 9, 10:29am
I wouldn't go over about 80kg static tongue load. 40-60kg is ideal.

captaink, Jun 9, 10:29am
So you are obviously buying a "Euro" or "English" van with that figure. Does it have an 'Anti Sway' coupling, if so you need to ensure your towball is secured so that it will not 'undo'.

monaro17, Jun 9, 10:31am
No no, none of that light weight crap, - a brand new 6.0m Leisureline

clark20, Jun 9, 11:53am
Its written on the towbar, but yeah I would avoid that much if you could

supernova2, Jun 9, 12:19pm
Is that the max towing weight or the towbar downforce!It just seems to be far to much to me.

Having said that however I looked in our Kia manual just out of interest and its says:
Maximum permissible static verticle load on coupling device Australia 90Kg, except Australia 56Kg.

Now figure out why Australia should be different to the rest of the world.

thewomble1, Jun 9, 1:22pm
Too much weight could weaken the towbar fastenings to the car.

supernova2, Jun 10, 12:22am
Well can't argue with that.Autos must have different rear suspensions to cope with the extra load I guess.