Maximum tow ball weight for VE Commodore?

Page 2 / 2
monaro17, Jun 10, 12:59am
Just finished speaking to Blackwells Holden and they said that there is no difference in the actual towing capability of the manual and auto. The manual is rated lower purely to the fact that it takes more 'skill' for want of a better term to tow with a manual so the manufacturer sets a fictitious limit lower than that of the auto in order to save the clutch etc. Interesting

supernova2, Jun 10, 1:32am
I could understand the lower limit for draw weight but what earthly difference would the down force have on the clutch etc.The down force as I understand it is what stopes the tail wagging the dog so are they saying a manual (with a skillless driver) will get outa the poo better than an auto!I sort of agree that it is easier to tow with an auto for those that only tow every 5 years or so but is an auto box really designed to be pushed and shoved by a big weight behind the car or hill starts etc etc!

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 10, 1:44am
It's ideal for that. The clutch is already engaged and the fluid coupling (torque convertor) provides the damping of the load increase as you move off.

supernova2, Jun 10, 2:34am
I agree about the clutch but long term towing can put some horrible stress and strains onto the trasmission, drive shaft etc.I think if you want to tow buy something designed for it rather than a family car.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 10, 3:36am
It's hard to justify buying a second vehicle for towing when a family car will do the duty.

monaro17, Jun 10, 4:15am
Exactly. Especially when I only tow caravans around 5-6 times per year.

bigfatmat1, Jun 10, 9:47am
I suspect that it would be more the fact the computer software that handles torque distribution, esp and suspension, is different between a manual and auto thus affected by the extra downward force placed on the rear.

monaro17, Jun 11, 2:30am
Interesting never-the-less