Scooter oil pump

naenae241, Jun 5, 12:00am
Hi i have a 1997 yamaha mint 49cc scooter the oil pump has gone on it and i heard you can just put the oil straight to the fuel tank! or do you need the oil pump either way! cheers

budgel, Jun 5, 12:12am
It isnt mint if the oilpump is stuffed.
Ring a Yamaha bike shop and ask the workshop foreman.Premix lube can work if the bearings can tolerate it. Not all can.

motorboy2011, Jun 5, 8:01am
mint is a model, not its condition. oil in the tank is better than none from the pump.

jonthefisho, Jun 6, 12:34am
We have a scooter motor in a wheelchair and just run premix.
It runs fine.

noswalg, Jun 6, 5:35am
I run premix in my 90cc vento purely because I don't trust the oil pump. Something as simple as a broken cable will stop pumping oil and by the time you find out its too late! I haven't had any problems in the year Ive been doing this

naenae241, Jun 8, 11:40pm
Thanks for the help you guys.

muzz67, Jun 9, 9:08am
If you run pre-mix be aware that a very long downhill without any throttle will starve your engine of oil,, remedy is to touch the kill-switch ( NOT TURN THE KEY OFF!) for a couple of seconds to allow a wee bit of mix to lube it up again.

ceebee2, Jun 10, 2:22am
I can assure you premix is still getting in there.

nzeva, Jun 10, 4:13am
Yeah, scooters have an auto clutch so would just be idling on a long downhill run anyway.

kazbanz, Jun 10, 4:20am
nae nae--just to be clear You don't just bung some oil in the tank and hope for the best. You do need to mix up the fuel/oil a bit more carefully that that. I'd be running 36/1 and put the correct quantity ofMOTORCYCLE two stroke oil for 4.0l of petrol into a 5.0l; container. Add the petrol and shake it up to mix the fuel/oil-THEN put that into the fuel tank.

motorboy2011, Jun 10, 8:36pm
no you wont, the clutch only disengages at low rpm. you could always come to stop at the top of a hill and then push off at the top, then it will only be idling. the problem comes at the bottom when your doing a decent speed and you hit the throttle.this will engage the clutch and rev the balls off the motor because its in low gear seeing it been idling.