Ride-On Lawn Mower advice/suggestions, please.

grangies, Jul 14, 4:35am
Our very old Fly-Mo 10hp ride-on died this morning. Engine blew apart.

What are these like! http://www.mowersandmachinery.co.nz/services.htm

What we want is something that will cut right down low for our house lawn and small orchard. Then be also able cut the small flat front paddock (under 1 acre) whick has some tough kaikuhia (sp) grass that get to about 8-10 inches between cuts.

Cheers.

bellky, Jul 14, 4:38am
John Deere.

NZTools, Jul 14, 4:40am
+1 for John Deere.

Cheap = lightweight, which wont last long on heavy work.

mugenb20b, Jul 14, 4:41am
The last Craftsman ride on mower I worked on was rather primitive, cheap and complex in design compared to Husqvarna.

How good they do the job, I wouldn't know, sorry.

mrcat1, Jul 14, 5:07am
It actually looks very similar to my Husky mower, some cosmetic differences but a lot looks the same.

cuda.340, Jul 14, 5:12am
they seem to be a cheaper copy of the Husky. i'm on my second husky now & would buy a 3rd, they're hardy machines & parts are everywhere & not that expensive as they used to be. i wouldn't buy this. whatever you buy, make sure it has hand throttle, if you get it stuck, you can push yourself out.

therafter1, Jul 14, 5:14am

grangies, Jul 14, 6:38am
Would love something like that. Sturdy, strong and no stupid bells and whistles.( who the hell needs headlights on a lawn mower! ) lol.

Unfortunately our budget is about $5000 MAX.

But we do want something strong and simple, to cut a maximum of 2 acres per fortnight. Steering wheel, seat, chassis, deck and around 20hp
is all that's required.

flashgordon_nz, Jul 14, 6:49am
2nd hand king cat then. Ive had 2 of them, swear by them. their lawn finish may not be golf/bowling green quality, it their good, rugged, easy to work on if needed, they take a hiding. we use ours to top farmlet paddocks, town 6x4 trailer around paddocks, tow little spreader, and mow the lawns.
In saying that, I've got mates with John deeres, and they seem bloody good also

gunhand, Jul 14, 7:02am
Strong and simple.strong and simple.hmmmmmm. A Goat!Pretty strong and resonably simple. And it doubles as a waste disposel unit and friend as well some say.When it breaks down ya can eat it.strong meat though. Oh, and no headlight but it still works in the dark.It has adjustable hight as well, that would be how long you leave it one place. No oil changes, dont matter if ya hit a rock with it, no one will flog it ( you would hope) The belt wont fly off, ya kids will play with it, no punctures, can be used as a gaurd dog, does the mowing in the rain, shouldnt upset the neighbours.unless it gets there washing.
Hell Im going down to the shops and getting one myself tomorrow.

grangies, Jul 14, 7:14am
Our little dog will have a go at it and lose the fight, then our big dog will rip it's head off sticking up for the little one. LOL.

net_oz, Jul 14, 8:41am
Get some sheep.

matarautrader, Jul 14, 9:27pm
Was in Agricourt Waipapa on Friday. Their rideons seemed to be well priced.

desmodave, Jul 14, 9:38pm
Ive had a crafstman 18.5hp model for nearly 7 years now goes good and is still on the original battery .Seems to be a tough unit and was a sharpe deal compared to JD and Husky .

lookoutas, Jul 14, 10:00pm
+100 +100
Built in Katikati for Kiwi's who will sooner or later tow trailers, jump start 4x4's, pull stumps etc, etc.

There are only 2 John Deer's that cut the mustard - can't remember which models.