Trickle battery chargers ?

brokebloke1, Jul 13, 8:26am
has anyone on here got one im having to store my motorbike away from home ( due to EQ repairs)and wont be able to ride it as often as id like.
Ive heard that you can buy trickle feed battery chargers that you plug in and leave on the bike till next time you want to ride.
Just after people comments on these are they worth it and where to buy from.

skull, Jul 13, 8:34am
I think you can get a solar panel battery trickle charger too, may want to consider something like that as well. I don't think they are overly expensive.

countrypete, Jul 13, 8:42am
I use an Oxford smart device for my boat and my bike.It analyses the battery, charges to full, then goes to maintain mode, which I guess is a very low rate trickle.Any bike shop, or probably repco / supercheap sell something similar

watson79, Jul 13, 8:42am
Hi there, I brought one from budget motorcycles, the brand is Oxford and I paid 199 for it but was the biggest amp hour one, there is smaller cheaper ones as well, I have found it brilliant over winter, will charge a flat battery, quick charge etc then will go into maintain mode once charged so Ives it a little squirt as necessary, it come with a plug that bolts onto battery with a waterproof cap at other end that sits under the seat, so when you are ready to go simply unplug charger start your moto and you are off, hope this helps

countrypete, Jul 13, 8:43am
Snap!

watson79, Jul 13, 8:43am
Yep, cool charger :)

gunhand, Jul 13, 8:49am
I have one and used it when not riding for extended periods, under a $100 for some and well worth it.
5 min install, easy as.

countrypete, Jul 13, 8:54am
That's it exactly!

gunhand, Jul 13, 9:00am
Mines a projecta as well but you put cables on the battery and just join the plugs when you want to use it, no need for the clamps etc as its always on the the bike battery. Plus you can get more of the cables to put on other vehicles as well and use same charger.

watson79, Jul 13, 9:02am
We think alike countrypete :) if only I could get the boat I want. So I can charge that aswell

pup2, Jul 13, 7:06pm
For your motor bike batteries, look for a charger around the 1amp mark. Small is good.

glenn_michelle, Jul 13, 10:43pm
I have a c-tek on my dirt bike and with all the stop starting it works perfectly,paid 99 for it.

brokebloke1, Jul 13, 11:25pm
thanks everyone now ill look at all the options people have given me hope to get something this weekend

lookoutas, Jul 14, 12:05am
Have always intended getting one, and putting a plug by the numberplate. Just need to get in and drive off.
Don't laugh at being lazy - my car is chained to the floor, and I got in once & tried to back out!

Like being pulled up by a Cop and saying;
"At my age, if I don't speed to get there in a hurry, I'll forget where I'm going"

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 14, 1:25am
Projecta do a 900mA plug in charge & maintain charger that is just like a DC power supply pack for about $80 that comes with everything you need including the fused terminal lugs to permanently mount to the bike. It's perfect for any small lead-acid starting battery. You don't need to spend $150+. I fitted a flush panel mount DC socket ( http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp!ID=PS0524 ) through the bike's tail fairing facing downward, hard-wired with a inline nylon 2-way connector behind so I could remove the fairing if I wanted and just plugged the bike in all the time it was in the garage regardless of whether it was going to be sitting for a day or a week.

lookoutas, Jul 14, 3:40am
Just got the Repco mailer, and there's one on the back page.
Good brand too.

karl256, Jul 14, 6:31am
You can get solar powered ones, that just keeps the battrey charged up, and it doesnt flatten it during the night. You can get it from Dick Smith Electronics. You can either connect it to the battery or on the cigarette lighter

kev3110, Jul 15, 5:53am
Mines a ctek charger, does a great job and cost around $100, bought from auto electrician

brokebloke1, Jul 15, 6:22am
ive been told that this model is not suitable to be left on for a long period of time reason they are cheap

travis47, Jul 15, 7:20am
Any charger that says it will do a "float" voltage will analyse the battery voltage and maintain a preset level, usually for 12 or 24 volt batteries, without over charging the battery.