Nissan navara failed wof help

Page 1 / 3
jurseygurl, Jul 5, 4:56am
failed wof for service brake balance can anyone tell me how to adjust this!

mugenb20b, Jul 5, 5:11am
Brake balance on the front axle or rear axle! What year Navara! Oh, and don't go to VTNZ for WoF checks.

jurseygurl, Jul 5, 5:13am
rear , 1994. nah i didnt go to vtnz i normally go to my local garge but was fully booked so went to one in town.

kazbanz, Jul 5, 5:16am
The question being is the front or rears and what are the readings!
the other question --has it been standing awhile !

jurseygurl, Jul 5, 5:18am
lf 292 rf 280 lr 180 rr 240. no to stnading awhile

mugenb20b, Jul 5, 5:40am
OK, you will need to remove both rear wheels and brake drums and check the condition of the linings and check wheel cylinders for leaks and operation. Go on 'youtube' and search EricTheCarGuy. He's excellent at explaining these procedures.

supernova2, Jul 5, 6:21am
Good luck on getting the rear drums off if its anything like mine.

franc123, Jul 5, 9:12am
was the park brake reading even!

hornnett, Jul 5, 9:16am
How about swapping the left side brake parts with the right and see if it fixes it!

hornnett, Jul 5, 9:32am
Google sarcasm,LOL.

hornnett, Jul 5, 9:43am
only if you googleSLOW
It doesnt really mater if you dont get the joke but kazbanz will.Well I hope he does.

steve98h, Jul 6, 10:30pm
you will have to remove rear drums and check linings and wheel cylinders.
biggest mistake diy people make when adjusting rear brake is you must deadjust the handbrake cable first. clean out the dust from the brakes and lightly rub the shoes with emery tape to remove the classing on the linings, also do this to the inside of the drum. refit drums and wheels.
the get a small flat head screw driver and insert through the adjustingslot in the backing plate and turn the adjuster wheel. keep turning the wheel and adjusting it until you kan hear the shoes just starting to contact the drums. press the brake pedal 2 or 3 times to centralise the shoes and check the adjustment again and readjust if need be.
once you have both sides adjusted correctly then you can adjust the handbrake cable. once adjusted the handbrake lever shound come up about 5 to 7 clicks.

hope that helps, good luck

kazbanz, Jul 6, 10:52pm
What mechanical experience do you have!
What workshop facilities do you have access to!
What is the reading for the park/hand brake!
Forgive the heaps of questions but brakes aren't something Im keen to recommend someone with little knowledge plays around with.
My worry to be honest is that the 180 reading sounds about right to me suggesting that there may be proportioning issues or an issue with the 240 reading side.Thats a bit beyond a quick adjust and cleanup.
(unlike a simple electrical fault that even bad tempered trolls can fix)

hornnett, Jul 7, 5:23am
So tell us what a dodgy used car salesman do in a situation like this to pass a WOF test!

skin1235, Jul 7, 5:30am
navara = ute = disk fronts, drums rear,
ute = my mother can pick the back of the nevara up high enough to lift a wheel ( and she's 83)
how much reactive do you really think you're consistently going to get, if the previous vehicle over the rollers had a damp tyre on one side those figures are not unreasonable
pet hate of mine is unbalanced brake readings from wof check on back of utes - unless you've got 4-500kg on the back it is totally unfair to expect precise and even braking effect

hornnett, Jul 7, 7:31am
Damp tyre!God it really does scare me what other people think or dont in this case.

skin1235, Jul 7, 7:38am
meanwhile you're trying sooo hard to get a rise out of people about mismatched readings on the rear of a nevara ute ( historically the lightest arse in the west)
at least I assumed it was due to rollers, the local wof shop goes for a burn down a backj street with an ergometer sitting on the floor between his feet

skin1235, Jul 7, 7:41am
or am I supposed to lay quivering in a heap like all your previous victims cos the dreaded hornnett has had a go at me

lol

hornnett, Jul 7, 7:54am
Ok I will give you a chance to explain why a damp tyre will cause brake in balance,and it better be good.

skin1235, Jul 7, 7:59am
jeeze , a dog pissing on the grass will have a navara spinning it's wheels helplessly, a dog pissing against the wheel while parked in the paddock means you have to push it to get moving, and you think a damp wheelprint on a roller at the vtnz is NOT going to have an effect

skin1235, Jul 7, 8:00am
in case you didn't realise it, the imbalance is actually a measure of slippage, of torque, which is directly related to traction, of which there is sweet fa on the back of a navara damp or not

skin1235, Jul 7, 8:01am
and I don't actually need your permission or demand within a time frame to bother slipping one up your nose

hornnett, Jul 7, 8:06am
I did say it had better be good and thats a FAIL.One damp tyre on brake rollers will cause brake inbalance lol got to admit i have seen dogs sneak into testing stations and pissing on tyres while the car is on the rollers,bloody mutts.

skin1235, Jul 7, 8:07am
and I should give a flying toss if you approve or not !

you must have me confused with someone in fear of you

why not advise them to drop the rears to 15psi, thats all we used to do, give it a chance to grip them
note it is the left rr, historically the first to let go under braking, and the last to let g under acceleration
axle torque mean anything to you

hornnett, Jul 7, 8:09am
There were two wheels on the back of most cars last time i looked so whats the excuse of the other side reading different!