Help . My car wont start

fisher01, Jul 4, 9:01am
I am having problems starting my car. The dash lights, headlights and radio are coming on but I just get a single click when I turn the key. The car does start sometimes.This started happening a few days ago.
The battery connections seem OK. Would anyone have any ideas what it could be!

Thanks

carclan, Jul 4, 9:04am
The stater solenoid maybe dickey if its a pre engaged type, not much you can do if its and automatic. Manual you could push start. What kind of car is it!

mekongmike, Jul 4, 9:06am
Hi. Probably the brushes in starter motor need replacing. Pre 2000 car will cost you about 180--200 dollars (including mechanics labour) for a replacement reconditioned starter motor.

franc123, Jul 4, 9:07am
starter motor or solenoid more likely. Get someone to tap the starter with a block of wood or a hammer handle or something while you hold the key over to start.

mekongmike, Jul 4, 9:07am
Solenoid usually does lots of clicking , not a single click in my experience.

fisher01, Jul 4, 9:10am
The car is a Nissan Pulsar 1997 and it's an automatic.I have my fingers crossed that it will start tomorrow so i can get it to a mechanic.

'solenoid on starter' . that sounds expensive!

jason18, Jul 4, 9:12am
Shouldnt be very expensive. Have you tried jump starting it when it isnt starting properly.

fisher01, Jul 4, 9:19am
I don't have any jumper leads or anyone to jump start me unfortunately.

I don't know much about cars.I normally just get in and turn the key.The kind guy at the petrol station checks my oil and water. But one thing my dad made me learn when he was teaching me to drive was how to change a tyre so ican do that.

I just hope it starts tomorrow.

franc123, Jul 4, 10:42am
Fairly typical for those to wear the brushes out, hopefully only a standard overhaul of the starter will be needed and not a solenoid change,but only a strip and check can determine. Its often cheaper to replace the whole starter, some Hitachi starters fitted to those older Nissans can't be fixed economically if they are too worn as the cost of the parts gets too high.

incar., Jul 4, 10:44am
sounds like starter brushes, very common if you can't get it going to get repaired call me i'm mobile.

fisher01, Jul 4, 11:20am
Cool, if I cant get it started how do i contact you!Do you have an approx cost!

incar., Jul 4, 11:59am
google- incar

jenny188, Jul 4, 9:50pm
Could be half a dozen reasons. I have had 2 Mitsubishi's have similar symptoms, and in both It was actually the "computer module". 1, a lancer and the other a Gallant. It's common with Mitsubishi car but I have not heard of a Pulsar doing it .

fisher01, Jul 5, 9:17am
Just an update for those who are interested -

I managed to start the car this morning and got it to the mechanic. Apparently it is the starter motor and is not that easy to fix because the car is a 4WD and the starter motor is really difficult to get to.

I was hoping the mechanic could fix it within a day but it looks like I wont get it back until tomorrow at the earliest.

I hate to think how much it's going to cost!

Thanks everyone for your help.

solarboy, Jul 5, 12:32pm
fisher01 wrote:
Just an update for those who are interested -

I managed to start the car this morning and got it to the mechanic. Apparently it is the starter motor and is not that easy to fix because the car is a 4WD and the starter motor is really difficult to get to.

I was hoping the mechanic could fix it within a day but it looks like I wont get it back until tomorrow at the earliest.

I hate to think how much it's going to cost!

Thanks everyone for your help.[/quot

This starter motor problem on 4WD Pulsars has been discussed on here before and I remember the inaccessibility being mentioned then but at least one poster knew a relatively quick method. I have one of these myself but at 113000 km hopefully it's good for some time yet but I have my fingers crossed for you poster 1 !

incar., Jul 5, 1:46pm
Several ways depending on emission set up (1500cc), remove either from the top- air box, emission pipes etc off, or bottom- inlet support bracket, oil filter off, no big deal (on site) but most mechanics make out it is cost wise $350-$400 new starter plus labour about 1hr, SR engines can be a prick of a job

pup2, Jul 5, 6:45pm
I would be interested in seeing only 1h labour for removal and refit on a 4wd / AWD. I have only had the easy ones. Boss had an AWD and there were some pretty crazy words coming from under the bonnet lol

illusion_, Jul 5, 10:01pm
I'd be really checking out this one before all else. Get your auto electrician to test

this time of year shows up any weak/stuffed battery problems

incar., Jul 6, 9:12am
There are mechanics, then there are Mechanics who think!

fisher01, Jul 6, 9:21am
Yay my car is ready to be picked up tomorrow.It cost a little of $500.ouch!
Damn starter motor.

incar., Jul 6, 9:33am
if a new starter was installed then that sounds about right

fisher01, Jul 7, 3:43am
It ended up being the solenoid (i'm not even sure what this is or what it does)The part was relatively cheap. The majority of the cost was in the labour (about75%)