A/c pump pressure

ariarne, Jul 4, 3:40am
does anyone know what a standard a/c pump operating pressure would be!

mugenb20b, Jul 4, 3:52am
Suction or discharge!

ariarne, Jul 4, 3:58am
discharge. want to try plumb up an airtank for inflating tyres. thought the old ac pump might be usable

mugenb20b, Jul 4, 4:02am
Yes, it will be. You need to add a piece of pipe to the suction side with a small air filter on it. You should put a few drops of oil in it (at the suction side) before each use.

ariarne, Jul 4, 4:08am
cheers. is it a constant psi or does it fluctuate with revs!

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 4, 4:30am
What a rigmarole.

mugenb20b, Jul 4, 4:33am
That's where the problem is. You will need to plumb the discharge side into a tank and fit a cut out switch. Personally, I've never done this, but other people in my 4WD club have. I simply biffed my A/C unit and bought a 12 volt air compressor. Have a look at OffRoad Express forums, they may have more info about it.

mugenb20b, Jul 4, 4:35am
Yes. One of my old trucks had this set up, and an extra tank under the body etc. I don't like carrying extra weight, so I dumped the lot and bought a small 12v compressor instead. It took less space and was lighter.

cuda.340, Jul 4, 7:02am
buy one of them spark plugs with the air fitting on it. way faster for pumping up your tyres than the puney little a/c pistons have & if its a rotary comp then foget it. a bicycle pump is quicker.

ariarne, Jul 4, 7:21am
its diesel so doesnt have anywhere to put a sparkplug

carclan, Jul 4, 8:42am
There is no standard as the discharge pressure will vary with temperature PV=MRT

Suction pressure will vary depending on evaporator temperature and expansion valve setting and the both suction and discharge pressure will vary system to system depending gas type i.e R 717 will evaporate at a different pressure than R 22 or R 134A

4piggy, Jul 4, 8:56am
ac compressor will pump to over 500psi or till belt slips so you will have to fit pressure switch in the system

carclan, Jul 4, 9:01am
I brought a air compressor for $200.00 on special at Super cheap autos about a year ago and never missed a beat. Got a free air hose that I did not need and sold it for $45.00. Save alot of dicking around.

cuda.340, Jul 4, 9:16am
a a/c comp might pump 500 psi of refrigerant but not air sorry. refrigerant expands with heat & the pressure will increase but air doesn't expand at the same rate.

elect70, Jul 5, 3:03am
Problem is they pump the oil outwith the refrigerant & as no return it will seize . Unless you buy /build an oil separator& plumb it into the suction side . Seen many try to usedomes asair copsbutsoonseize