What 4x4 to buy. To tow a double horse float

Page 2 / 2
helsbels2, Jun 29, 1:13am
Happy towing with our Ford Ranger and we towed 6 floats out of the paddock at pony club the other day that were all stuck but no problem for the 4x4.

offrd1, Jun 29, 4:07am
wouldn't touch one with a 40ft pole.there has been 2 of them here used for towing horse floats,both crapped out in a big way and cost an arm and a leg to fix.stick to the Toyota or Nissan.i like the VX Land cruiser myself.24 valve,they pull better than the Nissan and go for ever .lol.

r15, Jun 29, 6:04am
i'll now explain to jazz again that prados, like most other engines that are known to crack heads only do so when over heated.simply the cooling systems on a 15 year old vehicle is never going to be as good as it was new, and if you want to tow heavy gear it's best to give the cooling system a good going over.including the correct function of the viscous clutch on the fan's correct operation.

or if you dont belive me, show me a video of alloy cracking by itself

zephyrheaven, Jun 29, 6:46am
x1
Simply put - the cooling system on a Prado / Surf 1KZ was designed around the radiator - Toyota never imagined a Horsefloat / Racecar / Bayliner et al. Bringing down the exhaust temp's will help your head / so target a larger exhaust (Toyota were on a budget) & have your vehicle tuned for fuel / boost by a reputable diesel dyno professional.

elect70, Jun 30, 12:30am
Most of the horsey set have range rovers dont they !wasnt the donething to have a jap 4x4

horses7, Jul 1, 11:45pm
Nissan Terrano G3MR,3.2 diesel 95 to 98 hard to beat.Engines almost indestuctable and drive as good as most cars.Things to look for are rust under rear seat around seat belt anchor points and rear suspension bushes but theyre not a major.If you get a good one they go forever.We have owned Terranos for 13 years and my current 3.2 for the last 6 and it has cost me nothing.We tow horse floats,race cars and all sorts of things no trouble,much better engine than a Surf and unless you need a Patrol or Land Cruiser a lot better to drive than either,dont touch later model Z30 with overhead cam engines as they were grenades,about 99 onwards

tazcsv, Jul 2, 2:03am
Thats a big call saying its a better engine that a surf if your talking about the 3.0td

horses7, Jul 2, 3:16am
3.2 is a better engine,I also said dont touch Z30 with 3.0 engine