Importing a car from Japan. Looking to import a vw golf 2007 08 from japan have a family member in tokyo that could view not sur

Page 1 / 2
alski2, Jun 26, 8:32am
Looking to import a VW Golf 2007-08 from Japan. Have a family member in Tokyo that could view .Not sure if these cars meet NZ standards now. Any other pitfalls Ineed to know
Cheers

andrea_w, Jun 26, 8:33am
Why not simply buy one locally.!

carclan, Jun 26, 8:37am
I agree, why import another vehicle into a country that is saturated in imports anyway

gammelvind, Jun 26, 8:52am
There are about 30 on here that fit into that age group, at least they meet NZ standards.

wimwom, Jun 26, 8:56am
Why is everyone so down on someone who wants to give this a go!

carclan, Jun 26, 9:14am
They are not down on it, just wonder why you would bother when the local ones available already comply

wimwom, Jun 26, 9:47am
Well i have done a few, it's interesting and rewarding. Sure there are pitfalls, that's life.Shame everybody seems so down on anyone having a go, it's certainly worth doing!
Guess we should just fill the pockets of those who do it for a living and put having a go ourselvesin the too hard basket!

gunhand, Jun 26, 9:51am
Tell them how and what to look out for then.Thats what they are asking after all.

wimwom, Jun 26, 9:56am
Ok.Go to the LTSA website. The information you require is there. Ask lots of questions and spend time looking at various export sites in Japan. The prices vary no end, some days you can find grade 4 stuff for the same price as damaged stock.I have used and recommend TAU, there are many others but they are easy and safe to use. Good luck and enjoy your experience.

wimwom, Jun 26, 10:06am
Only one in thier list at moment is a 2010 with frontal damage, not a good option.Join for free and have a look.

dazza135, Jun 26, 9:15pm
I agree with wimwom. It is an incredibly rewarding activity to do and does give you a few bragging rights. All I can suggest is do your research, emission standards, frontal impact standards, RUST!, and be prepared for a bit of disappointment when you go to the port to collect. (It is quite common for stereos to not be there, mats to be gone, or a few bumps that the dealer maybe didn't describe) - I suggest you talk to the guys at AutoHub in regards to shipping your vehicle, remember about GST and Customs Duty when it enters the country, and then make sure you are up to date with Compliancing and Registration when it gets here. Have fun and if you need any more specific help you can email me through my car listing.

tigra, Jun 26, 9:17pm
Does the "family member in Tokyo" actually have any experience in buying, and more particularly buying at auction! Seems to me thats the biggest area of concern.

tigra, Jun 26, 9:23pm
PS: the Yen to NZ$ is looking better right now, but maybe not for much longer.

wimwom, Jun 26, 10:28pm
Never experienced anything like that with Tau, everything in pics was included and arrived. If things like mats or headrests are missing they normally state that as part of their auction.
I had seats stolen from a Granvia while in transit and they even sorted that out.Most important thing's are to ask lots of questions and spend lots of time looking and learning how it all works. You can get a customer number and do the customs thing yourself, again it's not hard.

dazza135, Jun 27, 12:02am
What site is that! Is it a third party selling platform in japan similar to cartradeview!

kazbanz, Jun 27, 1:15am
But wait --according to our resident expert any car in Tokyo is saturated in Nuclear fallout and must be avoided at all costs> Maybee that only applies to cars built in Japan not solid german cars

desmodave, Jun 27, 1:25am
Is it safe to eat Sushi .where's the sea weed they use come from

kazbanz, Jun 27, 1:26am
There have been many many threads on this subject.
1)the number you need is the EMISSIONcode for the engine.JAP cars must be 3 didget to come in and euro cars have to have euro 4 or higher (euro 5 etc)
This is the most recent import restriction and kinda overules the older stuff.
(I must say I'm NOT certain if Euro cars sold NEW in Japan have euro4 or the 3 didget coding)
In all honesty a decent agent knows the codings for NZ
2) as others have said -allow $4000 in freight/customs/compliance costs to get a perfect car here and on the road.
3) the advise above re importing is pretty good
4)DO be aware that the auction gradeing system has gotten a bit free and easy in the past few months -I've been offered accident cars as grade 3.5 for example.

kazbanz, Jun 27, 1:28am
I REALLY hope so because I'm off to tokyo /osaka in a couple of weeks.

ceedoubleyou, Jun 27, 3:34am
I sat down and tried to work out the cost of importing a Jap car, 1st off you have to make sure it complies emmision wise, usually post 2005, but not gaurranted, it has to have 3 letters or something. But costs are $3500 approx plus the cost of the car. So you don't save too much.

kazbanz, Jun 27, 4:16am
On that subject -some people really DON'T do their research.
In my compliance centre is a 97 toyota granvia diesel fresh import.
The people were very upset when told its at least 10 years too old to be complied and NO its not a special interest vehicle

geedubu, Jun 27, 5:18am
As a generalisation (and this from someone who lived in Japan for several years, speaks Japanese & - with difficulty - imported my Japanese bought-new car back to NZ)really not worth the hassle, NZ has many hardworking experts bringing in cars and selling them at a reasonable margin:Unless you have found a very rare gem and would enjoy the drama, don't do it, buy it here, support our local entrepreneurs, you won't go wrong.

hornnett, Jun 27, 8:10am
And here i was thinking that all cars coming into NZ were imported.Gee some of you guys have trouble thinking.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 27, 8:14am
Of course this is not at all biased coming from a car dealer, yip, carry on and laugh it up buddy!

Its not like the soil in Tokyo is radioactive enough that samples have to be disposed of as nuclear waste when tested in the U.S.

Its simple, the dust is very radioactive, it gets concentrated in the cars cabin filter and from there dislodges and gets inhaled where the hot particles lodge in your lungs and stay there until you die.

SO. if you do bring one in at the very least you need to change ALL air filters and dispose of them carefully.

sw20, Jun 27, 8:18am
IMHO unless its a SIV I wouldn't bother. Just buy it here. If you grab it from a dealer here, there will be some safety net when the transmission dies on you.