Will new cars become classics/collectable?

Page 2 / 3
modie61, Jul 15, 8:50am
Christ no sw,i was just joking. But hang on a minute,it maybe ok oneday when its old enough,or maybe not.

xpfairmont, Jul 15, 8:50am
Not raced like the "real" "steel" Falcon GTs

xpfairmont, Jul 15, 8:52am
I know what you mean. I used to see CRX's everywhere 10-15 years ago. Can't remember what they look like now!

sw20, Jul 15, 9:05am
I know, I was actually laughing.

phillip.weston, some muppet didn't give way to me on a roundabout. I went into his drivers side.

clark20, Jul 15, 11:41am
Yep, in 20 years they will be affordable and great, esp the ZL1

jason18, Jul 15, 7:38pm
I got the xa valued at.25k. Wonder what it be worth in 15 years or so.

ceedoubleyou, Jul 15, 7:42pm
add the R34 Skyline GTR, still holding their price. Also stick an unmodified last of the production RX7 away in a barn. Sold a unmodified 1 owner, RX2 in '81 for $3600, probably good for $20k now.

budgel, Jul 15, 11:37pm
These are virtually classics from day 1: http://www.bmw.co.nz/com/en/newvehicles/6series/overview.html!&gclid=CPfK6ZDsnLECFaRMpgodY3JCgQ

More run of the mill cars usually have to be a bit special in their own context, eg sports edition etc.
Mum's shopping basket will only ever be a classic to the cardigan and sandals with socks brigade!

xpfairmont, Jul 15, 11:46pm
um.NOT

bellky, Jul 15, 11:47pm
Imm - the kind of car that never stops depreciating!

sifty, Jul 15, 11:49pm
Quite a good point made above about the long term feasibility of many cars now. I think the vintage car club were looking at a cut-off date of around 1976 for all vehicles to be eligible, as after that age they become very plastic based/electronic, and are beyong the abiities of blokes in sheds to keep going/restore.

This caused great debate, as it was pointed out that when the vintage car club began, the cars they were collecting were only around 20 yrs old.

I wonder how a vehicle built today, with usb ports, bluetooth etc will be looked at in 20 years, and if we will even be able to legally run them then in the face of safety regs. (stability control/abs/airbag testing etc), let alone maintaining the engine management systems, or emission control limitations.

Bit of a different concept to resleeving brake cyclinders, replacing panels, fettling carbies and stitching up new upholstery etc that you can do to an older vehicle.

Interesting though, I sincerely hope old vehicles are kept on the road, as I love seeing a tidy example of any make, that has obviously been lovingly looked after. I wonder what models would be worth keeping in ashed, that will appreciate. Guess you have to think of the cars the youth of today cannot afford but will be able to in 20-30 years, to cash in on the cashed up nostalgia market.

jason18, Jul 16, 12:50am
79 torana coupes still look.pretty classic or at least muscle

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 16, 1:06am
With the unnecessary complexity of modern vehicles they're unlikely to ever be popular en masse again even with the nostalia factor simply because they will require far too much very specific owner knowledge just to keep them running. Any idiot can look after and repair a basic car.

elect70, Jul 16, 1:07am
Sifty is on to it, where you going to get aengine management ECU or trans ECuin 40 years time , all gone with cars toscrappy . Pre electronictop of the linecarsstill be collectable& drivable .

richardmayes, Jul 16, 2:01am
Being old is part of it, but being an attractive and desirable car is part of it too.

Ordinary ubiquitous cars like Holden Commodores & Ford Falcons won't become seriously collectable until there are so few of them on the road that people actually turn and look and say "hey, nice car!"

Even then it's hard to imagine a VN Executive with its plastic body trims, lifeless blobby shape and dull grey interior EVER having the classic appeal of (say) and HQ with its chrome bits and bright red vinyl seats. VNs are just utterly unglamorous in every way, and no amount of aging is ever going to see the VN catch up to the 1970s cars in desirability (in my humble opinion.)

I also think old V8 muscle cars are going to enjoy diminishing returns, as running them becomes less and less affordable, and clever new ways of going fast much cheaper take over. Most of the V8 people I know either remember the time when a V8 was the only path to speed, or else they were raised by people who live & breath that time.
But a V8 isn't the only path to speed any more, they occupy a niche between small turbo Jappers and big serious money European performance cars, that is a niche that is only going to shrink. and as that happens that's going to diminish the cult of V8s (IMHO).

You might not be able to buy a genuine 2008 Ford XR6 ECU, but you'll be able to get some sort of aftermarket/ open-source / tunable ecu somewhere. If you look on the NZ Hondas or Toyspeed websites, the average age of the cars being preserved or modified by people on there would be 20 years if not older.Besides, anyone who's been keeping an old Triumph or BMC going through the 1990s and the 2000s is not using factory parts, because those manufacturers have been dead and out of business for a generation. Fordor Holdin people are probably going to have to get used to the same thing!

ceedoubleyou, Jul 16, 2:11am
When you collect a 40 yr old V8 car, speed doesn't really come into the equation. It is more of the, spending time fixing/restoring, what's broke, and believe me, things break at great regularity. But there is always the "feel good" factor, whenever you take it out on the road and the smiles they bring to peoples faces.

sifty, Jul 16, 2:28am
Nothing like seeing a wee kid smile and give you a thumbs up as you burble past in a chromed and shiny old throwback.

[oops sorry, double posted]

dr.doolittle, Jul 16, 2:35am
Probably 25k

3tomany, Jul 16, 3:15am
current model falcondores could be the last of the rear wheel drive aussie cars loved by many people who will grow up and have enough moneyto find a good one to drive down memory lane on sundays. so i think they could be very collectable

nzdoug, Jul 16, 5:04am
Original collectables will be worth most.

nzfatie, Jul 16, 5:29am
+1 especially RWD manuals with great handling!

3tomany, Jul 16, 5:57am
+1 my old v8 turns heads and makes kids smile everywhere it goes, the look the noise oh and chicks realy dig it

jason18, Jul 16, 9:22am
I was hoping for 25.499k

pebbles61, Jul 16, 9:27am
I normally get *WTF is that looks*, and the only chicks who dig it are in their 50s + lol

socram, Jul 16, 10:20am
But they are the best!