Will new cars become classics/collectable?

Page 1 / 3
gunhand, Jul 14, 11:54pm
The, why do Falcons depreciate so fast thread got me thinking.
Will todays Falcons and Commodores become tomorrows collectables as they did in the past.
Mass produced cars seem to go through a cycle before becoming collectable.
New
2nd hand x a few
Cheap as chips so hoons, bogans or boyracers can afford them
There then thrashed trashed and destroyed ending up in wreckers yards.
The few surviving original ones are suddenly sort after for that very reason, theres very few left therefore making them desirable again.
Yes even the lowly base models have had this happen to them.
BUT, those cars of old were simple in design and not full of electronics as todays are.
So in 30 years time will a FG coon or VE commy be still viable as a driving car. Will there be after market parts being made. Will there be electronics available for repair, hell air bags should be replaced every 15 years in some models, will they be available.
Will the FPVs and SSs unless kept by one owner and never drivin be worth having or still going.They are not produced in that lower numbers. A few are numbered sure but dont differ that much from the base one it started as. And theres that many dealers, tunners and the likes making "there" version of said car which ones going to be iconic! How long does a electronic item last these days! Not long in some cars it seems.
And when deaers put, tomorrows classic today, is this just a marketing ploy.
Not talking true excotics here (ya Lambos, Ferraris etc) just the two brands above because of there history and what has happened to the brand in the past.
So have the manufactures done themselves out of tomorrows collectables by making them unviable to repair in the future! And Im not sure they care or think that way anyway.
assuming we have fuel of course LOL.

gunhand, Jul 14, 11:54pm
The, why do Falcons depreciate so fast thread got me thinking.
Will todays Falcons and Commodores become tomorrows collectables as they did in the past.
Mass produced cars seem to go through a cycle before becoming collectable.
New
2nd hand x a few
Cheap as chips so hoons, bogans or boyracers can afford them
There then thrashed trashed and destroyed ending up in wreckers yards.
The few surviving original ones are suddenly sort after for that very reason, theres very few left therefore making them desirable again.
Yes even the lowly base models have had this happen to them.
BUT, those cars of old were simple in design and not full of electronics as todays are.
So in 30 years time will a FG coon or VE commy be still viable as a driving car. Will there be after market parts being made. Will there be electronics available for repair, hell air bags should be replaced every 15 years in some models, will they be available.
Will the FPVs and SSs unless kept by one owner and never drivin be worth having or still going.They are not produced in that lower numbers. A few are numbered sure but dont differ that much from the base one it started as. And theres that many dealers, tunners and the likes making "there" version of said car which ones going to be iconic! How long does a electronic item last these days! Not long in some cars it seems.
And when dealers put, tomorrows classic today, is this just a marketing ploy.
Not talking true excotics here (ya Lambos, Ferraris etc) just the two brands above because of there history and what has happened to the brand in the past.
So have the manufactures done themselves out of tomorrows collectables by making them unviable to repair in the future! And Im not sure they care or think that way anyway.
assuming we have fuel of course LOL.

clark20, Jul 15, 12:04am
From what I have seen it is a 25-30 year cycle, where you grow up as a teenager wanting the latest Turbo XX or V8 XX, but you cannot afford it, and it is not till your late 30s or 40s you can afford one after marriage, house, family car etc. That's why Mustangs and GT Falcons are bought now, however I can only see them dropping as less people want them in the future. I always wanted a big block, however the 6.0L Commodore was big/fast enough for me and more practical. But I still have my MG Midget.

Edit: Like how many (I know there are some) are into 50s cars now!

bellky, Jul 15, 12:05am
Yep as above^.

I'll tell you in 30 years.

elect70, Jul 15, 12:25am
Legislation will force them off the road before then . YOU Will drive a hybrid econoboxmade from recycledcoons & commies

woki, Jul 15, 12:28am
Falcon and Holdens always depreciate as they age like all cars . We used to derby perfectly good XP XW XY falcons , Holden HD to HQ , Valiant incl Chargers . Many would have been worth huge $$$ nowadays . Yes newer cars will become collectible . Buy a huge shed and start storing tem now while they are at rock bottom !

trader_84, Jul 15, 12:32am
Yeah - but which ones! Remember the 78 - 80 323 Mazda's . pieces of turd at best and owned in their 1000's by electiricans and mum's for shopping. They could not be given away in the 90's . frick me - if you had a stash of them now!

gmphil, Jul 15, 2:04am
Think clark20 hit the nail.
As we the intrested buyer ( pushin up the prices) get old in pass so will the prices
How many youngn now chassing down oldclassics

Dont think the commy in falcons of today will be as sort after as say hq or xa likely be jappas of some sort !

tgray, Jul 15, 2:18am
The 2010 camaro has already been named 'collectible car of the year' in the USA.

phillip.weston, Jul 15, 2:25am
That's hardly a feat to be proud of. Outside of the US it's regarded as a piece of plastic junk.

mugenb20b, Jul 15, 2:28am
So.you'll be 70 by then.

modie61, Jul 15, 2:28am
Im hoping my VN Calais will be.Im intending to keep it till i die,wife says i will be buried in it.Whatever.

gmphil, Jul 15, 2:36am
Shitil wrap that grill in coton wool lol

nzfatie, Jul 15, 6:43am
Since they're full of computers now, they'll be as collectible as old computers are.LOL

modie61, Jul 15, 6:51am
Im working on it gmphil,ive got other probs at the mo,i havent forgotten tho,thanks.

tgray, Jul 15, 8:25am
Can't agree.
Not made of plastic like a corvette and full leather interior.
Have you driven one! I have owned 6 and can assure you the new Camaro is not 'plastic junk'.

tekno23, Jul 15, 8:30am
My guess for future classics would be skyline GTR R32,WRX STI 555,First generation EVO, BMW 850i, e36 M3.

sw20, Jul 15, 8:33am
Here is my future classic. Came back alright from the panel shop after the roundabout incident.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Al-sw20/150412002.jpg

modie61, Jul 15, 8:35am
You could take it to the beach hop sw !

sw20, Jul 15, 8:36am
Actual LOL.

rob_man, Jul 15, 8:36am
GTP Falcon might get a look in.

phillip.weston, Jul 15, 8:38am
what happened!

mantagsi, Jul 15, 8:40am
I was having a natter to my old man last week, and I mentioned to him that the cars of 'my generation' are just not surviving unlike all the old chevs and fords that were around when he was a boy, and mostly still are. Already I see that sporty Jap cars I used to have when younger have simply vanished, and chances are I will never see them ever again, which is a bit sad. I call it the 'lost car generation' - there will be a heap of folks my age who when 40 - 50 won't be able to buy an old car of their youth as they simply won't exist any more, or will be stupidly rare/expensive/unobtainable

xpfairmont, Jul 15, 8:47am
No, it's not what young people are driving now, so they wont be doing them up when they get older. Plus todays Fords and Holdens aren't taken from show room to race track like the old ones.

I'd say Nissan Skyline etc will be the ones that become collectable in time

xpfairmont, Jul 15, 8:49am
they would, but it's not