Hampton Downs. The one good thing about the len brown decision to throw 10million of your and my ratepayer money at the horse ra

Page 1 / 4
geedubu, Jul 15, 3:04am
The one good thing about the Len Brown decision to throw 10million of your and my ratepayer money at the horse-racing circuit for the V8's is that finally Hampton Downs is getting media and public recognition as NZ's best mtotorsport asset.At last.

socram, Jul 15, 4:18am
Agree. In three years time, I suspect that a fair few people will be asking again, why not HD!By then, I would expect the track extnsion to be completed and also the permanent hospitality suites.
Pity the government didn't right the wrongs of the previous administration who tried to block it (Corrections and Transit) and cost the developers at least $2m and two years of delays.

hornnett, Jul 15, 4:20am
And you would also gain financially as well.lol

kazbanz, Jul 15, 4:27am
socram--what I can't for the life of me understand is why HD diddn't put hand out to gubbiment like towpoo did.

lookoutas, Jul 15, 6:11am
I love Puke - but HD is the future.
Can't understand it.

rob_man, Jul 15, 6:16am
HD is all the better for being a bit underdeveloped, Pukekohe is not very appealing any more.

patiki1, Jul 15, 7:09am
But it will always be 15kms out of Auckland.

socram, Jul 15, 9:37am
From Auckland to HD is virtually identical travelling time to Pukekohe.

Would you like to explain that comment hornett!HD rents out the track to whoever wants to hire it. The hire figure is the same regardless of who hires it.If Cochrane or Petch wants anything more than what is on offer, then they are responsible for paying for it.Quite how you think I gain from that is totally beyond me.

hornnett, Jul 15, 9:59am
Pretty easy one mate who would get the benefit from ratepayers money/govt funding on HD!and then maybe a big crowd drawing event. Anyone with maybe an apartment there maybe!

sr2, Jul 15, 10:50am
Don't feed the troll socram mate, the attention just encourages him/her.

hornnett, Jul 15, 11:41am
One guy on a crusade,bring it on pop.lol

kazbanz, Jul 15, 8:29pm
ahahahaJust figured it out-
Think about this guys-- Think who might be bitter and twisted enough with the regular posters on here to attempt character assasinations any time they can.
Nowon other forums theres a function called ignore which means a persons posts simply don't show up on your screen.
That said it is now end of the primary school holidays.

eagles9999, Jul 15, 8:42pm
I love the news items today about the probability that motorsport fans will spend millions in Auck when they go to the v8 races. Yeah! On alcohol and accommodation - cant see it being spent elsewhere very much.This was the same proposition that Cochrane "sold" to the Hamilton City Council. Proves you can fool most of the people most of the time especially if the are city councillors looking for a personal benefit.

tigra, Jul 15, 8:51pm
Yeah they are claiming that Auckland would somehow lose $3 million in "leakage"which is the amount that would be spent by fans going over to Aust to see the V8 cars if they werent racing here. Seems to me if that "leakage " amount is right -which is debateable -they would probably still go off to events like Bathurst anyway. The pro-event at Puke advocates are claiming that 20,000 people will come from outside Auck to go to these races at Puke. Wonder where they will stay!

twink19, Jul 15, 8:53pm
15 km from Pukekohe about 90 from down town Auckland

newtec1, Jul 15, 9:28pm
Don't be too surprised if Cochcrane uses Puke for 5 yrs or what ever the term is,and waits untill HD has completed all their nesessary developements privately,and decides it is not so bad after all,and moves down there.Mission accomplished.I t hink all this nonsense regarding traffic & parking is only a smokescreen to speed the job along.

newtec1, Jul 15, 9:28pm
Don't be too surprised if Cochcrane uses Puke for 5 yrs or what ever the term is,and waits untill HD has completed all their nesessary developements privately,and decides it is not so bad after all and moves down there.Mission accomplished.I think all this nonsense regarding traffic & parking is only a smokescreen to speed the job along.

twink19, Jul 15, 9:30pm
the rules regarding traffic, would be changed in a nano second it the rugby was being held there

hawat, Jul 15, 9:36pm
ummm did you guys read the Herald this morning! Main issue is Resource Management consent to have only 20,000 people attend at HD whereas Puke has approval for 50,000. Apparently the Resource Management people won't increase HD approval past 20k. Seems straight forward!

socram, Jul 15, 10:09pm
That is Cochrane's public excuse.
As one who went to the environment court hearing to state our case, the Waikato Council were extremely positive and could see the benefits to the region but were forced to apply crowd restrictions THAT COULD BE LIFTED as and when HD had shown they could cope with lower events.
It seems you can close the Harbour Bridge or restrict the traffic for a half marathon or a hikoi, yet in the middle of the Waikato, coning off one lane in each direction can't be done!
If Transit has thrown their money at a proper inter-change at Dragway Road and assisted with HD management's willingness to build a road linking the back of Hampton Downs to the Dragstrip area, instead of fighting the proposals, traffic management would be 100% better than Pukekohe.

I went to Pukekohe 2004 for the V8s and quite frankly, the traffic was well managed and disspated easily.

Cochrane's other excuse about distance from Auckland is so pathetic. It is 15 minutes to HD from the Bombay turn off.It is 10 minutes to Pukekohe.If you are towing a trailer, HD is easier as it is motorway all the way.

Oh and Hornett, please explain how I make a fortune out of an apartment if I am using it myself!

socram, Jul 15, 10:09pm
That is Cochrane's public excuse.
As one who went to the environment court hearing to state our case, the Waikato Council were extremely positive and could see the benefits to the region but were forced to apply crowd restrictions THAT COULD BE LIFTED as and when HD had shown they could cope with lower events.
It seems you can close the Harbour Bridge or restrict the traffic for a half marathon or a hikoi, yet in the middle of the Waikato, coning off one lane in each direction can't be done!
The quote is from one Waikato NZTA board member who obviously dioesn't want the event, otherwise he'd be saying that they'd do everything withing their power to get the limit lifted for one weekend a year.Or have palms been greased!

If Transit/NZTA had thrown their money at a proper interchange at Dragway Road and assisted with HD management's willingness to build a road linking the back of Hampton Downs to the Dragstrip area, instead of fighting the proposals, traffic management would be 100% better than Pukekohe ever could be.

I went to Pukekohe 2004 for the V8s and quite frankly, the traffic was well managed and disspated easily enough afterwards. Why would HD be so difficult!

Cochrane's other excuse about distance from Auckland is so pathetic. It is 15 minutes to HD from the Bombay turn off.It is 10 minutes to Pukekohe.If you are towing a trailer, HD is easier as it is expressway/motorway all the way.HD is also 25 minutes closer to Hamilton which is another catchment area - or is he no longer bothered with Hamilton people nowthey have been fleeced!

Oh and hornett, please explain how I make a fortune out of an apartment if I am using it myself!One or two weird people on here, maybe tinged with a touch of envy.Zero trades also says a lot.Yup, school is back today. Or maybe the capital city is just jealous that Auckland now has two race tracks and they have, er, er - none!

bill-robinson, Jul 15, 10:51pm
socram,
yep auckland may have two race tracks but wellington has character some thing auckland will never get.

kazbanz, Jul 15, 10:57pm
Socram--hang on-Pukie is miles of single lane road to the track.
HD entrance is less than 1 km from the motorway/expressway then away north or southHow on earth can they compare the two! Sonds like excuses to me
Ohh and lets not forget the minefeild (manfeild)for diehard welly racers

floscey, Jul 15, 10:59pm
yeah like the fat chick who has a nice personality

socram, Jul 15, 11:04pm
Don't disagree!But character doesn't give us somewhere to race!