Car battery dead?

tekeflapz, Jun 17, 2:49am
ok so i have a honda accord 96. this morning i went to start it and it just was dead. Made a few sickly noises and thats it.
But the car stereo and lighter and inside lights (didnt check the headlights) still work.
Would it be the battery or something else! a mate just pointed out that the battery expiry date was 2007 :O/

mugenb20b, Jun 17, 2:50am
It's quite possible. Try jump starting it.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 17, 3:24am
Left outside, very cold overnight, marginal batteries die.

r.g.nixon, Jun 17, 3:31am
Warm the battery up with hot (not boiling) water. Don't short the terminals though.

r.g.nixon, Jun 17, 3:35am
Maybe the hot water bottle method on www.ehow.com/how_7176468_warm-car-battery.html

bitsy_boffin, Jun 17, 4:01am
Sometimes simply 10 seconds of cranking (or trying to) then leaving to recover for 30 seconds and giving it another try is just enough to kick a cold soakedand marginal battery into life.

Worth a try before you break out the jumper leads anyway.

Speaking from much experience this winter.I really should break open the wallet for a new battery one of these days.

r.g.nixon, Jun 17, 4:07am
Same. But I've got a cheap charger and extension cord, so I may as well nurse it along this winter again, as I did the last one.
It helps that the car is small and easy to crash start down the drive.

andy61, Jun 17, 4:10am
And what do you do when it wont start at the supermarket!Peace of mind having a good battery in your car,Replace the battery.

bitsy_boffin, Jun 17, 4:25am
That's what a jump start pack is for :-)

henderson_guy, Jun 17, 4:47am
Jump start pack is worth more than a new battery!

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 17, 4:55am
And won't last as long!

tmenz, Jun 17, 5:30am
The first cold snap in winter always finds the tired batteries.

marmar1, Jun 17, 6:22pm
yep just replaced my missus battery, dead as a dodo.

gofer0007, Jun 17, 7:20pm
I bought a "recon" battery for my V8 off road truck and it sits exposed on the back but tied down and was covered in think ice last week while camping in -4 deg and the $80 plus GST battery fire the Chevy up on third carnk hahaah Couldnt believe it.I must have been lucky with this buy.

A lot of cars have bad earth connections and by just connecting any one of the jumper leads between the negative terminal of the battery and the enigine on a good earth point does the trick till warm. If this works just replace the earth strap the engine.

richard112, Jun 17, 7:33pm
How's the battery in the car though!