Fiat leads the way in new design

Page 1 / 3
hijacka, Jul 16, 10:32am
This is for you Jazz!
http://money.msn.co.nz/slideshowajax/243136/fiat-makes-car-with-coffee-machine.slideshow
I'll have mine with 2sugars and milk thanks Jazz!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 10:39am
Nice!

On a serious note though, the Italian's and especially Fiat pretty much lead the world on automotive design. If they don't think of it first they are usually first to get it working properly and into production.

Cambelts
CVT
Variable Valve timing
Gutterless roof's
5 speed transmissions
Common Rail Diesel
The People Mover
Multi Air Technology

Those are just a few that I can think of, Fiat usually get things right first time too.

hijacka, Jul 16, 10:44am
Don't know about that stuff;) But seeing we on the subject i thought my Fiat 125 was the beez knees back in the day had 5 speed box was quick for a old car and got me wanting a t-series but went to a 131 was nice to drive but didn't have that old racing feel to it like the 125 did.

hornnett, Jul 16, 10:56am
Ok thats it Bring in the DDA van.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:01am
The 125 really was the bees knees back in the day.
Incidentally. did you know that the t - series was never actually a legitimate Fiat model lineup!

They were setup by the NZ Fiat importers and when Fiat eventually got wind of what was happening they were not impressed. I am not sure but I have my own suspicion that the "T" could even stand for the importer "Torino Motors".

Even the humble Fiat 127 of the time was quite something. It had a properly modern, plastic, electric, thermostatically controlled fan for its east/west engine when the Brittish were mucking about cutting dirty great holes under the mudguards to try and vent theirs. I think it may have also been the worlds first hatchback.

richardmayes, Jul 16, 11:03am
And the Germans were the first to bring in cruise missiles (in 1943) and ballistic missiles (in 1944.)

But I still wouldn't want to have been on their side.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:07am
Given the Italians change sides at whim you might not get a choice.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:09am
Which ironically. is probably a Ducato. with a common rail engine.

hornnett, Jul 16, 11:13am
Nope but hey they are dam near all the same these days.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:14am
Yip, can't think of any van manufacturer who dosn't use the Fiat designed common rail diesel system.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:14am
Yip, can't think of any van manufacturer who dosn't use the Fiat designed common rail diesel system.

Actually. a bunch of manuacturers vans really are the same. The Ducato get's re-badged by a few manufacturers. The engines get used by even more.

sas777, Jul 16, 11:16am
I thought the Austin A40 was a hatchback.

hornnett, Jul 16, 11:17am
Its a good idea just pity some car makers have pushed the common rail to far and are suffering from reliability problems.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:18am
Actually. you got me there. I had forgotten about those!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:21am
I don't know if they have pushed it too far. I suspect more so they have rushed to catch up with not enough money and time to perfect the product.

Take Hyundai for example if they were pushing it we would expect to see better economy or power, yet they are about the very worst in terms of maintenance requirements, power and economy.

Nothing that can't be fixed with extensive marketing though!

Similar story from Toyota, in fact they have been struggling with other new technology like direct injection as well.

hornnett, Jul 16, 11:22am
I personally blame hard to achieve emission laws.And maybe public ignorance on the value of correct servicing.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:25am
Definitely agree with you on that one. DPF's and EGR systems are the epitome of theoretical design that dosn't work very well in the real world. Especially once the vehicles get a few km's on them. but of course you are supposed to recycle them at 5 years old arn't you!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:28am
I look forward to seeing how the "multi air" diesels go when the technology is applied to them (which Fiat have suggested it will be).

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:28am
I look forward to seeing how the "multi air" diesels go when the technology is applied to them (which Fiat have suggested it will be).

At least this technology increases economy without any real negative effects. I would expect them to do away with the external EGR and use the valve technology for exhaust re-circulation instead. which is perhaps slightly better.

hornnett, Jul 16, 11:29am
Yea the vehicle turn around cycle these days is criminal,what a waste of resources,and whats worst is its encouraged by the authority's.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:33am
You are quite right.
Bottom line in my opinion is that until the world moves right away form an economic system that rely's on continued and unsustainable growth we willnot be able to curb this trend of built in obsolescence.

The way the world is going though, it may happen by itself anyway. I can see the worlds fiat currency's collapsing and only those backed by gold or something else tangible remaining.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 11:36am
Its a pity that Volvo's push to build longer lasting cars in the 70's and 80's never really stuck around. I think the concept did actually appeal to consumers too.
If you look on youtube you will actually see their advertisements pushing theircars as outlasting the opposition several times over. They really did seem to do that in practice as well.

snoopy221, Jul 16, 11:41am
The 125 really was the bees knees back in the day.
Incidentally. did you know that the t - series was never actually a legitimate Fiat model lineup!

They were setup by the NZ Fiat importers and when Fiat eventually got wind of what was happening they were not impressed. I am not sure but I have my own suspicion that the "T" could even stand for the importer "Torino Motors".

mmkay T mags T cams.mmm! oh AND didn't the T have a diferrent gobag!
mmmm!

hornnett, Jul 16, 11:47am
So wanted an 850 sport coupé when i was a lot younger,now maybe thats one they could bring back from the dead!

nzfatie, Jul 16, 11:50am
All notable achievements, but Fiat's most famous feat was introducing the first front wheel drive separate east-west gearbox in the 1969 Fiat 128, which all other manufacturers have now copied! Thankfully that BMC gearbox in the sump idea didn't take hold!