Home painting advice please.

Page 2 / 3
attitudedesignz, Aug 6, 7:56am
Doesn't mean squat.

There is a Jag' restorer in Hastings who is also a doctor, his cars go ALL over the world and cars from all over the world come to him.
My point being, i know EVERY painter that has worked for him and i would NEVER give any of them a job, beleive me us painters know how to hide things until the job has left the country.

So when people say "so & so are good because they paint some high end stuff" i just roll my eyes, but i guess the blind will remain so.

gunhand, Aug 6, 7:56am
I would. and repcos stuff apart from being to expensive is not backed by them I wouldnt think and i wouldnt trust any advice they gave unless there was a painter there.

gunhand, Aug 6, 7:58am
Now now, he may spill some lol.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 7:58am
+1 for the Commercial paint. The Multipla is painted in PPG's version Delfleet. The finish is amazing, its super scratch resistant and looks great even when its been years since it was polished.
It looks so good I would happily use it on a classic restoration.

attitudedesignz, Aug 6, 7:59am
It's a re-branded K&H product. And what K&H DON'T know about paints could fill every book in the world using the tiniest font possible.

attitudedesignz, Aug 6, 8:02am
Please stop jazz, stick to your euros mate, some of your statements are mind boggling.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 8:02am
Fair call, this is some good learning!
Since I have your ear and K&H in your view are not so good. What would you recommend for plastic bumper paint!
I have been using KandH's product for that and while I have been pleased with the couple I have done. Is there something better then!

attitudedesignz, Aug 6, 8:03am
True

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 8:05am
I was agreeing with gunhand!
Educate me man, I am here more to learn than to give advice. I am happy to look stupid if I can get some guidance.
Sorry OP though if I am making for annoying reading.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 8:06am
Sweet will stick with it. It is just some sort of plastic primer and then like you say a black. It does seem to replicate the factory sheen etc quite nicely.

I think I will buzz off now, the cage has been suitably rattled.

grangies, Aug 6, 8:10am
3M bought out K&H and have taken it off the retail shelves.

You can't but it any more from Supercheap etc.

It is now obsolete.

attitudedesignz, Aug 6, 8:16am
Was obsolete when they WERE selling it haha.

sifty, Aug 6, 8:19am
Brilliant,
yep all solid colours, and in all likliehood only on bikes taken out on sunny days. Not after show finish, more interested in quality product that can handle bit of storage, so would happily pay for a decent primer - interested in your recommendations.

and yes still confused, but getting there.

gunhand, Aug 6, 8:27am
You will know your job inside and out and we know ours and its not hard to get confused if you are just starting. It can be kept quite simple just depends on what you want.Theres so many products out there and so many differing opinions its not funny. Ive used most brands over the years and like anybody you get used to what you use most. But the likes off ppg, spies and metalux are all very similer products and spray about the same. Some other brands ive used are not user friendly at all.
On a good day with solid 2ks you can get a nice finish and be done with it or if you want super high gloss and real smooth thats a whole other chapter lol.
Do work week days etc or shift worker and what days off do you have. If you really want one on one help i would be glad to show you.

sifty, Aug 6, 8:33am
Thanks for the offer, but as I effectively have no time off (have to pay the mortgage and have two kids under 3 and a demanding wife) I think I'll muddle through. Happy to take advice however and learn through experience (ie cock-ups). NOt even sure when I'll be able to give it a go but can gear up for it at this stage, have a bit of panel work to do beforehand anyway.

actually, any issues with filler type.!

and hat supplier wouldn't be on Clyse st by any chance.!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 8:37am
Whom we hope dosn't read the messageboards!

gunhand, Aug 6, 8:42am
Coating supplies opposite romco tools.
They (Callum or the owner Andy) should set you up with everything you need to go from start to finish. Explian what you want and they should give correct advice. If you get trade prices well and good if not paint and products are expensive so thats one reason I said Metlux CV products.
Fillers, they supply them as well and only good product. And if your not used to useing fillers look at the size of can to size of hardner. You dont use much hardner at all, alot of people over harden and that will be just as bad as not enough.
Yea I got 3 kids a wife and a job as well lol.
When ya get close let me know ya never know, Im down that way a fair bit.

sifty, Aug 6, 8:44am
Brilliant, cheers.

and she's home, gotta go

sifty, Aug 7, 6:43am
Did some research, yeah that Metalux stuff looks the goods, look forward to having a bash.

Another question though, any problem with leaving something in the primer state for a while.!

gunhand, Aug 7, 7:03am
Not really. If you use the primer I suggested it should be ok if kept dry. Don't leave it in prime for to long though as most are absorbent. The primer name is DTM grey. That stands for, direct to metal. its an etch, primer. primer filler and anti corrosive all in one. Its an epoxy primer. sands abit odd compered to others but your not doing huge areas so it will be fine. Just keep ya parts warm and dry.How long do intend to leave primed!

sifty, Aug 7, 7:57am
I would like to say a week or so, up to a month! but as I have projects in boxes I started umpteen years ago anything is possible.

Although if I am organised enough to have panels prepped and spray booth set up I would like to think I would be keen enough to get things done pretty smartly.Guess I asked as one of the primer data sheets said not to leave too long. Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

sifty, Aug 7, 8:00am
And if I ever get some shed time. I'll make the effort to post up some before and after pics. I like seeing other folks efforts, and it's nice to see the outcome of some of these posts.

gunhand, Aug 7, 8:06am
A week would be fine, a month ok if dry,12 months you may get rust forming underneath again.If you intend to leave things primedI would suggest you paint them with any old auto paint you can lay your hands on. give them just 1 good coat to seal it up. You could by some CV 2k as I said, and it is cheap but very good and put a coat on. That way you seal it, you get practice and hen you come to doing the good coats it will need a quick 400 grit sand.
To do a gaurd you would use about 150mils of mixed product for one good coat.You could buy some single pak spraying enamal as well but you would be advised to sand back to primer again though.

sifty, Aug 7, 8:12am
Cool, ta. Good plan if the wife gets jealous of me enjoying myself pottering aboutand demands I leave the shed to service her.

As if.

lara.in.ch-ch, Aug 7, 9:11am
Hi mate do you know of anyone down south here that works from home or does homers as a panel beater ! that is good at what they do thats alot cheaper than the Panel Beating workshops. I have a project thats got a bit of cancer in her. Id sooner just pay for bits and pieces and do progressively as i can. Is there anyone you can recommend or know of ! like a panel beater