What are your thoughts on brake pads and prices?

Page 2 / 2
johnf_456, Aug 6, 10:37am
Personally C plus speaking from experience, I have used silverline on the odd time alternatives have not been avaliable and it had always ended badly with them.

richardmayes, Aug 6, 10:45am
The cheap ones from Repco work alright, but they squeal a bit and they make HEAPS of dust.

(You can tell the die that stamps out the steel backing plates has done a LOT of work. My 8yo daughter could have traced the outline of the old pads with a crayon and she would have got the shape better!)

snoopy221, Aug 6, 11:58am
Wee.el bugga moi nex tyme some fulla HOLLAS that pub back there had a sign sayin free speights.
I'll be checkin me shadze and me stoppin picks.
mmkay sounds like the ole hammock aye Zed man.
Disc tampax.LOL woulda said ferodo grade 2 or above.
But hey.sure wouldn't say Mintex.LOL

1coppertone, Aug 6, 7:29pm
CP frm BNT- 9

mopsy3, Aug 6, 10:27pm
We have run Ferrodo on V8 Falcons and found them to be very good. We have also run bendix which are good for daily driving but can be noisy. Endless pads are the preferred choice for track days although a little pricey but hey, when you have to stop you like to know you can. We currently have 3 cars with genuine Brembo pads which are by far the worst pad for dusting that were ever invented.

thunderbolt, Aug 6, 10:36pm
Translation, whenever I cant get my preferred brake pad, I buy the cheapest pads I can from an alternate supplier and I am suprised they dont work as well as the more expensive pad I normally buy.
I guess you get what you pay for johhny.

steve312, Aug 6, 11:19pm
The blend used in pads for normal use Joe Public is vastly different from that used in race pads.

There is far less effort or interest in eliminating dust and brake squeal for a track car.All the manufacturers are interested in is producing a pad that stops well and keeps stopping well even under extremely harsh use.

The pads they produce for use under normal driving conditions is much more of a compromise to ensure they are acceptable to the consumer.

There are a good range of reasonably priced brake pads available.Price is generally an indication on the quality you can expect to get.

Some pads are far more abrasive than others, some produce more dust and some squeal.Its all a matter of working out which ones are the best compromise between effectiveness and things that provide comebacks.

I have simply listed the pads that I have found to work well.

robotnik, Aug 6, 11:50pm
Many years ago Bendix was the name for quality parts from the USA. I read now though that the Bendix braking system division is owned by the equally renowned German company Knorr-Bremse, so I guess its products are probably even better now.

johnf_456, Aug 7, 3:27am
No need to be smart about, on the odd occasion I have had to fix a car on a Sunday when no auto shops are open except for repco. So you just end up with what repco can supply which may or not be a good brand of pad depending what they have.