New car. Looking atbuying a new car spending around 10 thinking nissan or toyota what have you got that you would recommenddefin

hardenbol, Aug 6, 8:57pm
looking atbuying a new car spending around 10 thinking nissan or toyota what have you got that you would recommend.definetly don't want another mazda had nothing but trouble.anyone have a nissan wingroad and would recommend them.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 9:46pm
Wingroads are over priced and over hyped because there was money to be made in them by importers.

Toyota's in your price range are also over priced and offer very little car for your money.

My pic would be a MK5 VW Golf (New shape starting 2004) its just a million times better than the Toyota and Nissan offerings you are looking at and a good 10 years ahead in technology. Better safety, better power, better economy, more features, nicer ride, better value for money,
better handling. the list goes on.

And no despite the nonsense you will hear from people who have never owned or even driven one. They are plenty reliable, parts are easily available and well priced and service intervals are long. Any good general mechanic can service one of these as well.

If you can get through the multitude of nonsense you hear from those who don't know about them you can have a MUCH better car.

Up to you.

hopie, Aug 6, 9:53pm
corse that would be your pick. did you not pick up on the Nissan or Toyota part.

bellky, Aug 6, 9:54pm
Yep, VW salesman by the looks. Does it every thread as we all know.

hopie, Aug 6, 9:58pm
yup, my work mate has a 2000 VW Polo and it is a bag of crap. everytime she starts it (as it is right outside my office) it sounds like it is starving oil in the head (cams) god its terrible, id NEVER own one.

phillip.weston, Aug 6, 10:16pm
I would happily have a Golf over a Wingroad or an Orthia, problems and all!

$7200 for a 13 year old Orthia, yes it's done low kms but it's still going to be just as reliable at 164,000kms than it is at 64,000kms and in my mind it certainly doesn't attract the huge price premium. $7200 should be getting you something in the early 2000's at the very least. It's just a facelifted model of the 1995 shape Orthia, complete with 1995-era (lack of) safety features and other features. No side air or curtain air bags. No stability control. No electronic brake-force distribution or brake-assist. Best it can do is ABS brakes and four wheel discs - big whoop!

For $7200 I would be looking at an ex-lease higher kms Mazda6 2002-2004 hatch or wagon (it is possible, I found a tidy '03 NZ-new GSX sportshatch with 140k for $10k three years ago) or a 2004-2006 Ford Mondeo wagon with the 5-speed manual gearbox. Heck you may even be able to find a Honda Accord Euro wagon in that budget which is twice the car as an Orthia.

In my opinion, in that $10k price range neither Toyota or Nissan have anything which is particularly outstanding - you really need to spend more or put up with a massive sacrifice if you choose a Toyota or Nissan sub $10k.

Just my 2c of course.

hardenbol, Aug 6, 10:23pm
would never own another mazda keen to see the back of the one we've got.,

mantagsi, Aug 6, 11:47pm
And you seem to think a falcon is the answer to everything. go figure

bellky, Aug 6, 11:48pm
You go figure since you're so smart.

shorebee, Aug 7, 12:29am
skoda

phillip.weston, Aug 7, 2:47am
And what was the Mazda you had before! One lemon model is hardly enough to tar the entire range. The Mazdas of the last 10 years (and longer) have been incredibly successful and known for reasonably good reliability.

smac, Aug 7, 2:51am
I just wanna know where Jazz gets MKV Golf's for 10k.

smac, Aug 7, 3:09am
Only one of those will go for $10k, and it's the one with 177k on the clock. Fair call though, they exist.