2011 Nissan Navara failed WOF!

Page 1 / 2
cuda.340, Jul 31, 8:30am
i was getting a wof this morning at the local testing station, as i sat in the waiting room another customer sitting next to me got the bad news his 2011 Navara has a cracked chassis & has failed it's first wof. being the nosey buggar i am i went out & had a look & yes, a crack on the chassis 1/2 Meter back from where the tray starts about 30mm long, easily noticable. the owner started having a minor hissy fit about it, understandably being it's first wof & failing. the ute looked tidy & the tray looked almost impecable so it wasn't because it was thrashed & overloaded but the towball showed signs of plenty of use. i know Navaras aren't the strongest of utes but 12 months old!

carmedic, Jul 31, 8:40am
Yep my mate was telling me he'd snapped in half (or near enough) his bosses 2008 Navana by towing very heavy loads (read over weight).

mugenb20b, Jul 31, 9:07am
A quick fizz with a mig welder will fix it. No problem.

dent, Jul 31, 9:10am
Maybe so mugen but why should he acceptthat. Itll be under factory warranty and id be looking for a stronger repair that that.

smac, Jul 31, 9:18am
Depends what he's towed with it perhaps.

On the weekend I met a full tractor and two trailer logging unit being towed by a ute.Maybe it was his!!

To his credit he had another ute following behind the logging truck with it's hazards on.considerate I guess since they were doing about 30 on the 100kph expressway.

mugenb20b, Jul 31, 9:20am
That's true and same with me. If the truck was mine, I'd like to see some extra bracing here and there but any alterations (or welding) to the chassis might require a cert. Would be interesting to see how this problem gets remedied.

franc123, Jul 31, 9:25am
The D22 model was known for cracking control arm mounts but have never heard of a failure in the rear. Won't be surprised if more of this happens when you have manufacturers trumpeting about 3 tonne towing capacity and greater, people think that they can get away with 5 tonne. Its all bollocks, no ute of that size and weight can deal with that mass behind it.

neo_psy, Jul 31, 9:34am
I'd be surprised if the dealer just sucked it up - more like a "misuse, sod off" I'd suspect the response would be.

asa50, Jul 31, 9:55am
The Ford Raptor was promoted to wanabe Baja racers in the states, the chassis did not take too kindly to that behaviour
http://jalopnik.com/5820104/are-ford-raptor-frames-too-weak-for-off+roading

poppajn, Aug 1, 6:54am
My son in law;s failed a WOFafter 3 years with chassis rust. It;s now a on farm ute, too far gone to repair.

mantagsi, Aug 1, 7:10am
These Navaras are starting to sound like real lemons; I've heard multiple stories (and witnessed a couple myself) of turbocharger failures, front diff failures, oilpump failures, and now this, crikey

trader_84, Aug 1, 7:14am
And just so you know Reb . thats a 440 on its way to my place, thats making it squat like a biarch in the arse.

pebbles61, Aug 1, 7:16am
wtf, was he parking it in the ocean every night! lol

mugenb20b, Aug 1, 7:16am
The beam axle front end Hilux is the toughest, most sought after 4wd ute in NZ. They are worth an absolute fortune. It's just a shame the L series diesel is so bloody gutless.

trader_84, Aug 1, 7:20am
What . are you are racing car driver! They do the speed limit . and are a little slow up hills with a tandem on the arse . but so what!

mugenb20b, Aug 1, 9:15am
It's depressing.

franc123, Aug 1, 9:26am
So what! Theres nothing worse being stuck behind some twat in an old Surf that takes up the entire length of an average passing lane to overtake one car, first the dick pulls out, then everyone else behind starts choking on the smokescreen, and after about a minute or so the acceleration STARTS to happen. They're a hazard. All 2LT Toyotas should have been ordered off the road years ago or been compulsorily updated to 1KZTE.

chris_051, Aug 1, 9:37am
Then they will be worth nothing as theyll be sitting round with cracked heads. Not that the 1kz made them move much better.

franc123, Aug 1, 9:46am
That was happening already, the 2L was just as bad. The KZ is a performance improvement, it had to be.

trader_84, Aug 1, 10:29am
Haha . a another Honda driver that has to be somewhere quicker than anyone else. Take a chill pill Frankie.

cuda.340, Aug 1, 10:55am
what are you telling me Trader! them Toymotors got soft suspension too!
i'll have to take your word on it being a 440, if i find out it's another one of them japanese wannabe hemis.!

geejay68, Aug 1, 11:09am
Someone please ask the ! was crack in a weld or are you refering to an actual structural failure in the chasis rails material . Theguys at any new car dealership I've ever dealt with bend over backwards warranty wise it's not their money they don'tbuild them AND the parent company is paying its all work for the dealership and pissed off customers don't come back .

johnf_456, Aug 1, 11:47am
It will be its not a race car

r15, Aug 1, 11:56am
I've been past 170 in a surf and a hiace with 1kzs.

Aside from common rail their performance is hard to beat

2l and 3l on the other hand are just noisy slow and frustrating to drive on the open road

splinter67, Aug 1, 6:47pm
smac wrote:

Depends what he's towed with it perhaps.

On the weekend I met a full tractor and two trailer logging unit being towed by a ute.Maybe it was his!!

To his credit he had another ute following behind the logging truck with it's hazards on.considerate I guess since they were doing about 30 on the 100kph expressway.[/quote

What sort of ute was that I want one