Hyundai H1/Iload blown up

Page 1 / 3
nika8, Jul 27, 9:12pm
I posted this in a different thread but have started a new one here.
I have/had a 2009 Hyundai H1/Iload. I bought it as a "used Vehicle", 9 months ago from a Hyundai dealer in Wellington. 3 months after owning it the fuel filter light came on, i took it to the Hyundai dealer in Palmy who checked it out and told me the sensor was faulty. Last week i had the 75000km service done and a new intercooler fitted as had discovered a small crack in the existing one. 2 days later the van blew up, im told injectors clogged up, turbo blown the works, $20,000 to fix it. Now have Hyundai and dealers running around trying to avoid the problem. what should I do!

splinter67, Jul 27, 9:15pm
I would be going to the Hyundai dealer in palmy and saying what the $%$# bummer they are a good van when they are going

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 9:17pm
This sounds very much like the scenario with a similar age Hyundai Diesel that was on fair go.

Hyundai NZ are mongrels when it comes to this sort of thing.
Have a look online and see if you can find the re-run of fair go, it may be you have to go public as well to get some assistance.

Once you have it sorted out I suggest you sell it. They are over priced, thirsty, old technology junk. Unfortunately everyone buys them thinking they are good because of the misleading marketing and peer pressure.

You can have a VW or other quality van for exactly the same money.

splinter67, Jul 27, 9:22pm
Yes Jazz you are right but when they are going they are a plesure to drive way better and cheaper than the toyota and a lot more comfortable and they have a better handbrake than the new shape toyotas

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 9:24pm
Toyota, the other worst value, ancient technology van your money can buy. Downright dangerous as well. Sorry OP, I will stop commenting on this tangent now, otherwise your thread will be side tracked.

nika8, Jul 27, 9:40pm
Have been into dealer here that replaced the intercooler.I took it to them the day after getting it back as it blew smoke they checked it and said they think the glow plugs are stuffed. So ordered new ones, I asked if it was OK to drive it, they said yes, next day blew up.I have looked at fair go case and see there maybe a case for diesel bug but seems odd the Hyundai mechanics didn't investigate for this! That is their job right! So far Hyndai nz have said they will do a special price on the parts but I still don't think I should have to shell out 13000 or more on a 3yr old van especially as the dealer told me it was OK.

supernova2, Jul 27, 9:45pm
x1
I'd say the dealer did something wrong but the problem unfortunately is going to be proving it.Without seeing it I can't say if you have a similar problem to the fairgo story and I'd alsmost bet that Hyundai will say its not.End of day its a fight between you and the workshop that did the work.Don't let them sidetrack you as I assume its a work vehicle so you want it fixed yesterday.Make it very clear to them that you believe that they are at fault and need to repair the damage at their cost.If they baulk at that lodge in the Disputes Tribunal without delay.Show them you mean business and that you do not intend to just crawl under a rock and go away.At worst you will loose the case at the DT but as no costs can be awarded against you what have you got to loose.

Make sure you put everything in writing, sure you can have discussions but follow any discussion up with a written summary of what your understanding of that discussion was.If you want take a video camera with you at any discussions.If they don't want to be recorded call discussions to a halt and revert to written communication.Make sure they understand this is not going to either go away or become a long drawn out battle involving lawyers.Unfortunetly Lawyers will just prolong the issuje as each time either side does anything someone cops a fee so there is absolutely no incentive from their perspective to settle.Good Luck.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 9:49pm
I like supernova's advice, just be aware I think that there is a cap on what you can be awared financially thought the Disputes Tribunal. Someone here could tell you how much or you could look it up.

Also. I am not an expert on Diesels but I don't see how glow plugs could cause catastrophic failure of an engine in one day even if they were not working at all. Likewise, other than some smoke at startup I can't see how glow plugs could cause ongoing smoke once running.

While admittedly info and context can be lost as its repeated it still dosn't really add up in my opinion.

supernova2, Jul 27, 9:51pm
Just anothger quick thought which will need research but was the vehiclke "fit for purpose" when you bought it!If not you may have somesort of claim against the dealer who sold it to you.Might be a very long bow to draw but could mean that both dealers share the repair costs.nothing ventured nothing gained perhaps.

splinter67, Jul 27, 9:52pm
If you do need parts go through Gee motors in Napier parts are Half the price of dealers

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 9:54pm
Also. be aware that "everything blown up and needs replacement" is a technique sometimes used by incompetent garages when they don't actually know the real cause of the problem. This covers them for whatever they find and means they can replace entire units even if only part of them is faulty.

Not saying its not a major problem but recently we had a garage tell someone their entire transmission needed replacement. They then went on to quote an absurd amount of money for replacement. When the problem was investigated by another garage who actually knew what they were talking about it turned out not to be a transmission fault at all.

While you definitely want to push this and get them to cover costs do come back if you wind up taking it somewhere else for repair. I would expect a low km complete replacement engine from a wrecked Hyundai could be a much, much cheaper option.

nika8, Jul 27, 9:56pm
Thanks for that. Yes its work vehicle so had to buy an old hiace yesterday which I couldn't afford but need to work!I have documented everything thus far but as yet havent directly accused the dealer/repairer of stuffing up. Have been waiting to see what they offer as an explanation. They tried saying it missed a few services but after contacting the previous owner found the records to prove they were done. Maybe Monday I need to go in tell them I think its their prob then get onto disputes tribunal.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 9:57pm
Its probably "fit for purpose" in that its a Van but the gist of this is that it should be expected to last for a reasonable period of time when used for this purpose and 3 years is not a reasonable period of time for a van that costs that much.

I was thinking about this as well and would say you do indeed have a case based on that premise of the CGA.

BTW, how many km's on the van and what do you use it for!
Do you know what it was used for previously to your ownership!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 9:58pm
Keep all your records/receipts etc for the Hiace so you can demonstrate your out of pocket costs and inconvenience.

nika8, Jul 27, 10:00pm
Yes have been in touch with dealer in Wellington who i bought from, they haven't offered to help yet but will be pushing them. Spoke to lawyer yesterday who said I can claim up to 15000 there

splinter67, Jul 27, 10:04pm
Could be a lemon a friend of mine brought one new I did the first oil change and filters at 85000 she didn't know you had to service new vanssome people still going one year later probably hasn't had another service since and its a courier van it gets a hard time

nika8, Jul 27, 10:06pm
Its done 71,000km I got it at 59,000 and have done two services on it.

I am a billboard installer so do a few kms, occasionally tow a cherry picker around, the owner before was from what I understand did repairs to small motors, lawn mowers, scooters etc.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 10:10pm
That's hardly hard use at all. Nothing like the wear and tear on delivery vans when fully loaded doing endless start stop's. Great news on the Disputes Tribunual limit, 15K should easily give you enough coin to get it sorted out by another garage and even help cover some loss on the resale of the Hiace etc if need be.
Don't forget to include all your costs when it comes to the DT, remember you are paying extra reg, insurance, WOF's etc on the other van. There is lost work, costs for preparing evidence for the DT etc. Do them for all you can as the real cost of this episode will be significant for yourself. Its also good to set a precedent, for others. If Hyundai know people will not stand for their BS they are less likely to try it on.

nika8, Jul 27, 10:13pm
I know!Its a bugger of a thing to have to go through, how long does it usually take to get a result through the DT!

splinter67, Jul 27, 10:15pm
Bummer about having to buy another while you get your one repaired.Keep all records of what it is costing you I heard of another case where the extra expenses incurred(buying another van extra fuel used) while there van was fixed was awarded to them by the judge good luck

Did you like the van before it blew up

nika8, Jul 27, 10:19pm
Loved it! I drove all the other makes and models before buying this one.It was outstanding, great when towing, comfortable, powerful, economical, stylish so when this happened I was just so gutted.And to rub the salt in i had to buy this bloody Hiace which is 20years old, rattly, drink gas hard.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 10:21pm
You liked it better than the same year VW, Fiat and Mercedes!
Or does "all makes" mean only Asian makes!

nika8, Jul 27, 10:25pm
Yeah I did like it better.Well the Merc was pretty nice too but I couldn't find one in my price bracket with low enough kms. If I could i may have gone with that given the service intervals but as it were i went with the Hyundai and was very happy with it

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 10:30pm
That's the trouble, the Hyundai on the surface does have the creature comforts and looks the part. I think that's part of what catches people out.
Service intervals as you pointed out are a Joke with the Hyundai and this along with poor comparative fuel economy is an indication of a sub standard engine.

The reason good modern diesels can have 40'000km oil change intervals is because they keep the oil clean. It all goes hand in hand, if they are thirsty its because they are not efficient, the inefficiency causes the oil to get dirty quicker (just like on old tech diesels) and that in turn forces short service intervals.

Yes the Hyundai seems economical after a Hiace or and old technology Diesel but compared to the equivielnt VW/Fiat etc they are actually quite thirsty.

Darn it, I am off on a tangent again, this will likely bring all the trolls to the thread.

nika8, Jul 27, 10:32pm
You may be right.After this is resolved ill probably be selling up and getting the merc!